PP
Posted By
Philip Procter
Oct 26, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I installed CS3 into a windows xp machine equiped with 2gb of RAM (2x1GB). The board can hold 4Gb maximum 4x1GB). Photoshop reported about 1.6GB RAM available, whcih seemed reasonable.

I just installed another 1GB stick. Windows reports the extra 1GB, no problem, but Photoshop now says there is about 1.8GB RAM available. Task mamnager shows 2.6GB available.

Anybody have any idea why isn’t Photoshop reporting and allowing me to use that missing 0.8GB?

Thanks,

2p

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DL
Don Leman
Oct 26, 2007
The following is from photoshops knowledgebase….

"Photoshop can only use the first 2 GB of RAM on the computer. This limit is based on hardware and operating system limitations. The operating system uses some of this RAM, so the Photoshop Memory Usage preference displays only a maximum of 1.6 or 1.7 GB of total available RAM.

If you have 4 GB or more of RAM, set the Maximum Used By Photoshop in the Memory Usage section of the Memory & Image Cache preferences to 70%. This amount ensures that Photoshop uses as much of the first 2 GB of RAM as possible, while reserving enough RAM for other applications."

"Philip Procter" wrote in message
I installed CS3 into a windows xp machine equiped with 2gb of RAM (2x1GB). The board can hold 4Gb maximum 4x1GB). Photoshop reported about 1.6GB RAM available, whcih seemed reasonable.

I just installed another 1GB stick. Windows reports the extra 1GB, no problem, but Photoshop now says there is about 1.8GB RAM available. Task mamnager shows 2.6GB available.

Anybody have any idea why isn’t Photoshop reporting and allowing me to use that missing 0.8GB?

Thanks,

2p
P
pico
Oct 26, 2007
"Philip Procter" wrote in message

Not with your OS. See:
http://www.prodig.org/index.php/2007/04/20/ram-can-photoshop -cs3-cope/

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections