RP
Posted By
Russell_Proulx
Dec 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It’s been suggested elsewhere that dual-channel cuts actual total RAM in half due the nature of its architecture.

Is this true and is the total amount of RAM available to Photoshop indeed affected by the way dual-channel DDR RAM works? For systems requiring the most RAM possible for PS (large image editing) is dual-channel perhaps less desirable? (IE: are RAMBUS and SDRAM preferred?)

Russell

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

D
DV8R
Dec 19, 2003
Please list your resource for this info.
RP
Russell_Proulx
Dec 19, 2003
Please list your resource for this info.

Daryl Pritchard "Best PC for Photoshop?" 3/10/03 2:57pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/2>

Russell
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 19, 2003
Two sticks of 512MB add up to 1G, wheter dual channel or not. Read about it here on the Intel site for the 865perl:
< http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/index.htm?iid= ipp_browse+motherbd_d865perl&amp >;
RP
Russell_Proulx
Dec 20, 2003
From the silence that this thread has generated I can assume that the claim is unfounded?

Lawrence: Thanks for the link to the Intel site. It promotes the technology but fails to address the claim that 2x 512MB dual-channel RAM will not hold as much info as 2x 512MB NON dual-channel RAM will. It does state that it’s faster.

Russell
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 20, 2003
I had not heard that until now, Russell. Where did you get that information?

Perhaps the reason Intel didn’t address it is because it isn’t true.
RP
Russell_Proulx
Dec 20, 2003
Where did you get that information?

Lawrence,

I already gave you the link to the thread in this Forum that made this claim back in March (click on the link I posted in my reply 4 messages ago).

Here it is again:

Daryl Pritchard "Best PC for Photoshop?" 3/10/03 2:57pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/2>

I too question whether the claim is indeed true and that’s why I brought it up again. But back when it was posted no one seemed to dispute the statement so it left me wondering whether it might be true.

Russell
PR
PS_Rookie
Dec 20, 2003
Russell: I can tell you first-hand that’s pure fiction!!! I have 2 sticks of 512MB Corsair PC3200 Dual-Channel DDR in my Asus P4C800 Deluxe motherboard (which is based on the Intel 875 dual-channel chipset). Boot-up reports a total of 1GB. Furthermore, Windows XP, PS, and 3 different memory diagnostic utilities all see 1GB!
RP
Russell_Proulx
Dec 20, 2003
PS Rookie,

FWIW I have 2GB RAM on an Intel D875PBZ mobo. XP-Pro and Photoshop both report it as all being there. That’s not quite what attracted my attention with this issue. Anyway …it would seem that it’s a non issue so I’ll just forget it.

I’m moving from a system with 1GB of RDRAM and DDR is proving to be a problem. PS7 and CS are both giving memory errors when performing certain simple routines with the 2GB RAM installed so I’ve pulled 1GB for now until I find DDR RAM that will work properly (1G works fine..)

I came across that post from last March while searching this forum for factors that might be causing this. Right now my local dealer is putting together an identical system with another mobo to determine if my board might be defective. We’ve already tried 2 kinds of PC3200 RAM. Intel has not been very helpful with RAM recommendations for a 2GB system.

The error occurs when I try and save a 60mb RGB image as a JPG using the progressive JPG setting. I get a ‘not enough memory to complete this operation’ message. With only 1GB installed it works fine.

So.. I’m just searching a solution to a problem 🙁

Russell
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 20, 2003
russ, turn down the memory resouces to about 45% and try again.
RP
Russell_Proulx
Dec 20, 2003
I’m now going to move this thread to:

Russell Proulx "Photoshop Memory Usage and filters (bug?)" 12/20/03 10:36am </cgi-bin/webx?13/2>

I don’t seem to be alone with this problem. Misery loves company 🙂

Russell
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Dec 20, 2003
Yes, Usually Daryl is a very good source on info, but two times on the same thread, he makes a mistake…
Using DDRAM does NOT divide the amount of memory, yes the memory width becomes 128 bit instead of 64 but is no need to cut the amount in two…
Strange… maybe he lacked sleep that day…
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Dec 21, 2003
Oops!

Hi folks….Well, I thought I had my facts right, but I’m actually glad to hear I was wrong. I don’t have a dual-channel board myself but had read up on them in hopes to eventually upgrade. Somewhere (and I wish I could remember the source), I was led to believe what I had previously posted here, that the RAM is effectively half the total installed when running in a dual-channel configuration. It sounds like I should’ve studied up some more, but even the name "dual channel" suggested this might be true, a la parallel resistors.

So, while I don’t recall what I was doing back in March, I’ll accept Pierre’s suggestion as the correct one…I was lacking sleep.

Sorry for the confusion,

Daryl
N
nick/slickrenderer
Dec 21, 2003
Too late…you shall be crucified 🙂
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Dec 21, 2003
Daryl, in your lack of sleep 😉 I guess that you got confused with Raid 1 (mirrorring) for the hard drives that replicates the data in a second hard drive, for security. That setup does divide the total amount of available disk space by two.

Don’t worry, only thos who don’t try to halp do not make errors…
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Dec 21, 2003
Well, at least learning the error of my ways will save me money in the long run, as I’ll not be buying twice as much memory as I thought I’d have to do for a dual-channel configuration. I’ve yet to find anything that provides a nice explanation of how dual-channel memory configurations work in contrast to single-channel, where the total memory in both is the same. I’ve not done a thorough search yet though, as most my time at the moment has been spent away from the PC…I’m visiting my parents for 2 weeks during the holidays.

Regards,

Daryl
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 21, 2003
not great, but it’s a start:

< http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030401/ram_wars- 06.html>

intel has some stuff on their site too.
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 21, 2003
ah. here’s a pretty good one:

<http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/Dual_DDR_SB.pdf>

and here’s one just for larry! 🙂

<http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/rl_productbrief.pdf>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections