SA
Posted By
Susan_Acree
Dec 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there way to create colored type. Not just one letter at a time with solid different color but words with different colors like with rainbow effect? Guess gradient is the word?

Tried to post this once but did not see it. Hope I am not posting twice.

Thanks for info.
Susan

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 10, 2003
Susan,

Here’s a way to put color in your text. In this example, a gradient.

First, create your text layer in plain old black text.

Then, add a gradient layer above the text, with the gradient with which you wish to fill the text.

Then, press CTRL-G (or on the menu Layer > Group with Previous)

You can then go back to your gradient layer and change the color/style/angle as you wish. Also, you can go to your text layer and move the text around so that the pattern of colors looks good in the letters. (you may have to un-check "Auto Select Layer" on the Move tool to move the text).

Once you’re happy with the effect, you can merge the grouped layers into one for convenience – but it’s not absolutely necessary.

HTH,

Byron
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 10, 2003
Susan,

I should have mentioned that, as an alternative to a gradient layer, you can also substiture an image layer which, when grouped with the text, will fill the text.

Byron
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 10, 2003
Susan,

I have put up an example of each result:

http://home.comcast.net/~hey-m0e/rainbow-text.jpg shows text with a gradient
http://home.comcast.net/~hey-m0e/leaves.jpg shows text with an image

(This is one of my favorite tricks to do with PSE, so maybe that explains the gusto in my replies…)

Byron
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 10, 2003
Byron, your leaves are great.

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 10, 2003
Byron, oh oh …you are addicted…I knew it…GOOD, you can join my club 😉 Great stuff

Did you take the picture of the leaves
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 10, 2003
Dick,
Jodi,

The leaves composition is built from one of the stock images included on the PSE2 disc.

….and I am DEFINITELY addicted. Jodi, is there any hazing of new members? ;~)

Thanks,

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 10, 2003
Byron, yes

🙂
SA
Susan_Acree
Dec 11, 2003
Thank you! Those are great! I really appreciate the instructions.

One thing I dislike about the type is that I don’t know what the name of fonts are and there is no type example next to the name of the font, so that I know what I am selecting. Wish there was something I could print out so that I could visualize what word with certain font looked like.

Susan
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 11, 2003
Susan,

Jodi posted a neat method for trying out different fonts, and I have adopted it.

Here’s what she posted:

"…if you are using a PC with a wheel on your mouse the way to see the fonts> click on text tool and choose text at the top of the list of you fonts…type in what you want and then commit by clicking the checkmark. Then go back to the font options and click on the second font down>now use your wheel and it will quickly scroll through all the fonts and will preview on your text on your screen. This is the way I do it anyways."

Jodi is constantly coming up with ways to make Elements get out of the rockin’ chair and dance!!

Byron
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Susan, I guess one thing you could do is open up Microsoft Word in its own Window and preview the fonts there before using them in Elements. A bit cumbersome, but at least you get a feel for how they’ll look…
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Byron (and Jodi) – my mouse wheel scrolls the list of fonts but doesn’t scroll from font to font – nevertheless, that’s a lot faster than going into Word and back!
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 11, 2003
Chuck,

Are you selecting your text on your text layer, so that it is highlighted, and then scrolling the font list?

At first, I missed the text-selection step, and had to re-read the directions (which I why I have them close at hand) before I got on-track.

With the text selected, scrolling the font list changes the text on the text layer.

Byron
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Byron, thanks for sticking with me on this one. I was trying to do it with the dropdown menu from fonts. You have to let that disappear, then scroll with the wheel – PERFECT! Thanks!!
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 11, 2003
Chuck,

Excellent!! The kudos belong to Jodi, though.

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 11, 2003
Hey, i got a better one…highlight the text in the drop down option and use the up and down keys on the keyboard.
LG
Lorace_Graham
Dec 11, 2003
Whew! Byron both examples are breathtaking to me, especially the LEAVES! Gorgeous!

I’ve got to work on this. Glad Susan asked the question.

Lorace

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections