JW
Posted By
Janet_Wallace
Dec 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to make a slide show with music for a family gift. I have managed to make a CD disk where one advances frames with the page up feature(and one song only but thats OK), but is there any way in Elements (Photoshop Elements 2.0) to advance the frames automatically. Regrets I’m sort of new at this. Dell 333mhz, Windows 98, 256 RAM, HP Photosmart 7350 Printer, Liteon 52x32x52x CD burner.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

MM
Michael Moody
Dec 5, 2003
Hi Janet. Yes, it’s easy. Rather than describe the process for you, go to Help, Index, Slideshow. There’s a setting in Options where you can set the rollover time.

wrote in message
I am trying to make a slide show with music for a family gift. I have
managed to make a CD disk where one advances frames with the page up feature(and one song only but thats OK), but is there any way in Elements (Photoshop Elements 2.0) to advance the frames automatically. Regrets I’m sort of new at this. Dell 333mhz, Windows 98, 256 RAM, HP Photosmart 7350 Printer, Liteon 52x32x52x CD burner.
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 5, 2003
Janet,

Photoshop Elements has the capability of creating PDF files, and you can specify the duration that each picture will be shown before it is automatically advanced. Unfortunately, there is no capability for adding music to that kind of a file. The Adobe Reader is a free download and it will play the PDF file just fine. There are a number of video editing software packages that will provide you with the capability you are looking for. But I’m not sure which of them are available for Windows 98.

I think I’m probably as critical of Microsoft has anyone. But if you had Windows XP I would recommend that you get the Plus! Digital Media Edition, $19.95, downloadable from Microsoft. It includes a program that will do precisely what you are trying to do. It also provides the capability to pan and zoom on the pictures. And they just provided an update that will allow you to save your working project so that you can go back and modify it later. That was one of the big limiting factors. But I had a lot of fun creating a pictorial summary of our visit to our grandchildren last Christmas using this software. Unfortunately, it’s only available for Windows XP.

I know there are a number of video editing software packages that will enable you to do your project. But as far as I know most of them are in the $100 price range.
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 5, 2003
Jim and Janet,

I just took a look at the Shockwave web site and they have a thing called PhotoJam that supposedly will do what you want, with music and the whole nine yards. Deluxe edition is under $50.

Do a Google search on photojam for the exact location.

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 5, 2003
Janet, here’s another I plan on getting ( I’ve been saying that for a while )

<http://www.xequte.com/pixplay/>
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 5, 2003
wrote
Janet, here’s another I plan on getting ( I’ve been saying that for a
while )
<http://www.xequte.com/pixplay/>

Jodi,

I’m also on the lookout for a good VCD-creation program, so I looked at the link you posted, and downloaded the trial version of the product.

Regretfully, I immediately found a key function of the program causes it to crash every time, on my system. (erasing a CD-RW) I was able to successfully record a VCD with music, but the sound was very broken/skippy, and the images horribly mutilated with pixelation.

I recorded another without sound, and the pixelation problem went away, but the images were very blurry.

I was viewing them on a 53" digital rear-projection TV which, otherwise, displays razor-sharp images from the DVD player and satellite.

FWIW… I recommend that you download the trial before you seriously consider purchasing this product.

Byron
JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 5, 2003
When you start talking about creating VCDs and other things like that you introduce a whole new set of problems that you may or may not want to deal with. First of all, not all DVD players will play video CDs. Even some that say they will play them in fact will not play them very well or not at all. As far as resolution is concerned, the video CD, in order to comply with the format can only be something like 352×240. A super VCD resolution is 480×480. And the DVD is 720×480. So it might be a challenge to get a VCD to play clearly on a 53 in. television set. Another problem with the VCD is that you have to deal with a fixed bit rate, whereas with DVD’s you can work with variable bit rates and that can greatly enhance your quality. So there are a lot of other things to be concerned with. If you haven’t been doing any of this kind of work you might be pushing it a little bit to try to get something out for this Christmas. In my opinion, you need to give yourself time to get accustomed to how everything works.

I do a little bit of video editing, and have looked at a few programs that will do all of that kind of work plus they will do slide presentations as well. I have had some relative successes using Pinnacle Studio 8. But if you go to their website you will soon discover that about 80 percent of the messages in the user group are from people having problems with the software. And from what I have seen that seems to be fairly consistent with many of the different companies. One of the main problems (I think) is that some people are expecting older computers to be able to do the work. And another problem is that the users just don’t take the time to learn the software adequately to enable them to use it proficiently.

The only reason I have rattled on about all of this is that there are a lot of issues to deal with when you start trying to do these multimedia presentations. So my recommendation would be for you to look for something that has a reputation for reliability and simplicity. Otherwise, you can be in for a few surprises and a bunch of disappointed recipients of your work.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 5, 2003
I forgot to look to see if this one has a demo, but I’d been checking it out because it comes with a DVD burner I’m thinking of buying as a Christmas gift. It definitely will do the pictures, sound, etc. for a video CD, but I agree with both Byron and Jim that these can be both tricky to produce and disappointing after you’ve done all the work – assuming anyone can get it to play. I’ve done some messing around with these, but the results were poor, so I’m holding off until I can get a DVD burner – and a bigger computer that can better handle the strain.

<http://www.ulead.com/store/dps/runme.htm>
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 6, 2003
Byron, thanks for the heads up…that must have been the reason for my delay 😉

Jim, yup, alot involved in this for sure. My mother does wildlife Video editing with Premiere and ‘WOW’ is all I can say. Alot involved. Scary.

Beth, ULEAD is a darn good product so i suspect this will probably follow it’s reputation. I’ll bookmark this one now…let’s see how long it takes before I actually buy something 😉
P
producer
Dec 6, 2003
I do not use Elements to make slide shows. The program that I have found fun to use, with good results, is Ulead DVD Picture Show 2. The only problem I had with the program was adding the sound tracks to fade when ending and to fade when beginning the next song. Doing a little research I found that MP3 Joiner will solve this problem rather easily. Two Joiners I’m looking at are MP3 Surgeon 2.0 http://www.infomaticsonline.co.uk/Download/106434 and MP3 Splitter & Joiner by EZ Softmagic,
Inc.http://www.1000files.com/Audio/Utilities_and_Plug-Ins/MP 3_Splitter_Joiner_860_Review.html

Output quality is directly related to input quality. My first "slide show" was horrible. Once I started to clean up my images before transporting them to the slide, my slide show improved.

Back tracking top Ulead, I find the program very easy to use and fairly full-featured
R
Ray
Dec 6, 2003
I’ve been using Ulead DVD PictureShow 2 for about a year now, and I’ve had great success with both DVD and CD. I recommend it.

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections