RF
Posted By
Robert_Faulkner
Jun 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using PhotoShop 6, I have a layered PSD file using all process colors (CMYK). In the art, there is one layer of two background flat values (non-textured flat color) that would be easy to assign to PMS spot colors (2). In the larger scheme, I desire these flat background values to mingle in and out with the other CMYK layers of feathered images– visually mingling and overlaying the background as one composition. Version 6 does support the addition of spot color channels.

Q: Is there a way to successfully construct airbrush / feathered images and effects to achieve the usual soft transitions possible in PhotoShop with PMS spot colors mingling in and out of the compostion? Comprende?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 9, 2004
visually mingling and overlaying the background as one composition.

you better have deep pockets.
JS
John_Slate
Jun 9, 2004
Assuming you can pay for 6-color printing, here is a start:

Call the 2 layers that contain the flat color you want as PMS, SpotLayer1 and SpotLayer2.

Highlight SpotLayer1 in the layer palette.

Select>Load Selection>SpotLayer1 Transparency>OK

From channels flyout choose "New Spot Channel", and specify the proper PMS color. This will produce a spot channel with tone where you want it.

Repeat this same procedure for SpotLayer2, using the proper PMS color for the new spot channel.

Delete the 2 layers SpotLayer1 and SpotLayer2.

Cmd-click on the CMYK composite channel, and the choose Select>Inverse.

Highlight the first spot channel you made and press delete.

Highlight the second spot channel you made and press delete.

Save as PSD to maintain working file, then flatten, trap, and save as DSC2.0 single file, color composite, binary.

This isn’t perfect but it’s a start like I said.

Note: DSC2 is designed for separated printing. Printing composite when placed in a layout will yield low rez RGB garbage.

If you have IDCS, you can place your DSC2 file in a same size ID document and export an EPS file that should work in a composite workflow, just make sure you select the "leave color unchanged" option when exporting, or the file will not separate properly.
RF
Robert_Faulkner
Jun 9, 2004
Thank you… Yes, This is a project that our company is going to use as a Sales promotional piece.

Is this procedure covered in the manual? …and is it necessary to have a layer for each spot color, or can both spot colors be on one layer? BF
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 9, 2004
You need to transfer the layer info into the spot channel manually as well as creating a trap.
RF
Robert_Faulkner
Jun 9, 2004
You mean create a trap between the two spot colors…? Not sure how to transfer the layer info into the spot channel.

Anyway, my original question has to do with whether the cmyk images will automatically feather nicely with the spot colors.

Thanks again.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jun 9, 2004
It depends upon the art.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Jun 9, 2004
Robert there are many aspects of what you’re attempting to do that may surprize you. Halftone angles could be one.
RF
Robert_Faulkner
Jun 9, 2004
The background 2 PMS colors would both be solid–no screens. ooohhhh… there would have to be screens if all images / layers combine and feather. I would think that the software would control all screen angles, as it does the cmyk channels.

I do understand printing, as I’ve been it it for 30 years or more…but as stated, and though I’ve used PShop for several years, I’ve not attempted spot color channels yet and don’t know that PhotoShop can combine and feather PMS+CMYK images.
Thanks!
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jun 9, 2004
Do you have a mock-up or spec rendering that you can post to give us a fair idea of what the final result will look like. A spec rendering in rgb will give you something 1.) to gain approval and go-ahead from the financiers of this project before you spend the time creating the production version, 2.) to give you a template to work from, 3.) and, to act as a specific focal point to help us give you more specific and accurate advice.
RF
Robert_Faulkner
Jun 10, 2004
Yes, I have an RGB jpeg file. I wil try to post it….or can someone explain how to post it? It has been approved by superiors for production.
R
Ram
Jun 10, 2004
Robert,

You need to post it elsewhere (like your ISP’s free ftp space, if any) and provide us with a link to it.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jun 10, 2004
We would like to see. I’ll tell you though, I have passed your idea around this morning to the head pressmen at two large shops, one running a Harris 206 on a big catalog we are running, and the other where the largest sheet-fed press in our area is running the cover. both pressmen rolled their eyes at the idea. The sheet-fed shop said they could produce it but would suggest considering the viability of running it as a cmyk project first.

You are in for a technical challenge is the way both shops report back to me. This is what I thought at the onset, but I do not want to discourage you at all if you have an idea that must be run as you describe it, and no other way.

My only question is, have you considered how you would run this job if it was to be done in different media, meeting the requirements for each: Broadcast TV, Magazine, Newspaper, 2-color, single-color, etc. etc… Be sure to consider every possible future application is one requirement of good design.

Let’s see the rgb please,

Ken

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections