Daniel Tretow
Jun 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

The problem / question:

I’ve scanned a large map in color, and then the usual re-touching in PhotoShop. The work is in CMYK, which is ok – when it’s aimed for the offset. The problem is the tiny black text, which also is in CMYK. Not so good – misfits… So to the question… how should I combine the four channels into only one when it comes to these text-things while the rest of the work naturally lies in CMYK??

Thanx
Daniel

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GH
Gernot Hoffmann
Jun 27, 2003
Daniel,

probably you mean that the quality of rich black text is affected by registration errors.
I don´t know how to REPLACE the rich black by K-only.

But you can go one step back to the RGB file.

Now choose a custom CMYK profile, mode GCR, with Black-
Generation=100%, Total ink limit 300% and convert from RGB to CMYK.

Because the black text is not exactly gray or black, there will be some tiny components C,M,Y , but these are not printed or nearly not printed if the value is below 5%.

Just the first idea how to solve this problem ..

Best regards –Gernot
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jun 27, 2003
The correct thing to do, If your text is plain with out any image affects. Would be to export to a page layout program (pagemaker, AI, Corel, Quark) then do the text from there, this way when sending to print, black can be told to over print all other colours, and the text be print solid black.
GH
Gernot Hoffmann
Jun 27, 2003
Thee,

Daniel had scanned a map and the text is a part of the image. Just to explain, why my advice is not wrong, though REPLACE might work as well.

Best regards –Gernot
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Jun 27, 2003
oh sorry, ignore me.

why my advice is not wrong

didnt say it was dude. The corret thing to do was ment to be from a printing point of view, but as it was a graphic, again I say, Ignore me 😉
GH
Gernot Hoffmann
Jun 27, 2003
Thee,

please understand my "correction" just as my interpretation of the OP´s task. The questions are often not quite clear, therefore I wanted to clarify the issue (as I had understood the question).

Best regards –Gernot

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections