N
Posted By
nytrashman7618
Nov 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
ran into a little trouble the other day with my printing, maybe someone here can help me. my camera (canon 300D) saves the pics JPEG in sRGB color space. i convert them to PSD files prior to my post processing. after post processing i click on print preview and set the print space to "same as source". i am then able to get good looking prints. my question is when i go to save a file before i print it should i check the box that says "embed color profile" and why is that differant then the sRGB color space the photo was taken in? when i look under color preferences if i check "no color management" the color profile when saving a file is set to the color profile for my calibrated monitor. when i check "full color management" the color profile when saving a file is Adobe RGB (1998). how can i save a file prior to printing and embed an sRGB profile in it? by keeping the color space (sRGB) the same from camera to transfering the pics from my CF card through the post processing process to the saving of files to printing wouldn’t my prints come out better then when the color space is switched during this process? would selecting "no color management" and not checking "embed color profile" when saving a file, save the file with the sRGB profile? then when i go to print that saved file, make sure my "print space" says "same as source", would that make sure i am printing in sRGB? color management is truly the "black voodoo" of digital imaging.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 28, 2003
George, have you been introduced to Ian Lyons’ site yet? Here’s a link to his page on Color Management in PS 7, but wander around. He’s got some great things on there.

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm>
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 28, 2003
George,

To embed an sRGB profile set your Color Management to "Limited". You would then be working in the sRGB color space, otherwise known as optimized for Web. You could open your file from camera, change it to .psd and when you Save As, check the box which says sRBG profile. This will embed the profile in the image.

sRGB has a smaller color gamut than Adobe RGB. The whole color management thing is a complicated rats nest. PSE really only offers limited management and choices, not at all like full PS, which is why most of us use it with ‘No Color Management’.
N
nytrashman7618
Nov 28, 2003
thanks Beth & Nancy. i will look at Ian Lyons site and see what i can’t discover. i have now tried, with good results i might add, to saving my files with no emebed profile and using "no color management" and this seems to be working out quite well. i will try saving and then printing a few pics with "limited color management" (sRGB) and see how that is. you would think by now i would have learned to leave things alone when they are working good. hence my motto, "if it ain’t broke it will be when i get done".
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 28, 2003
Yes, we are getting a distinct message about you George! 🙂
BB
brent_bertram
Nov 29, 2003
George,
It may well be that your camera is not saving your files with the sRGB space, but "tagging" them as sRGB in the EXIF info. That is a subtle difference . If the image is actually saved with the sRGB space imbedded, it will remain that way until the file is deliberately changed to remove the space, or convert it. On the other hand, if the file simply has the EXIF tag, it can easily be lost ( the EXIF info, that it), in the editting and resaving process, and you will be left with an "untagged" image.

Confusing, I grant you.

🙂

Brent
N
nytrashman7618
Nov 29, 2003
brent,
I do believe that is what is happening, that i am ending up with an untagged image. any advice on how to keep the sRGB profile for my files through out the post processing process?
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 29, 2003
George,

Assign it when saving in PSE as I mentioned earlier, it will be embedded and respected.
T
Tel
Nov 29, 2003
You’re opening a can of worms here, George.

The sRGB colour space is the setting used for all parameter settings other than when you specify Adobe RGB in parameters.
sRGB is a limited colour space which was originally designed for low end colour monitors which don’t handle a wide range of colours and so is not ideally suited to printouts. Photo prints can handle a wider range of colours than a monitor.

Adobe RGB is a larger colour space designed for printing (the Canon 300D handbook will have you believe for professionals). Using Adobe RGB will set all other parameters (contrast, saturation, sharpness) to normal, and this will result in a rather flat looking image. Raw images will normally need enhancing first with Canons File viewer utility to increase contrast, saturation etc. It’s also a good time to make an exposure adjustment from raw data if necessary. (I always aim to underexpose a half stop or so according to the histogram.)
You can also use Adobe RGB with JPeg format in the "creative area" settings but then you won’t need to use Canon’s program but can use Elements instead.

The predefined area of automatic settings, portrait, landscape, etc. give you sRGB whether you like it or not.

Personally I prefer to use the Adobe RGB 1998 colour space and 12 bit data format that Raw gives you and make adjustments on sharpness etc with the File viewer utility afterwards.
One disadvantage in using this colour space is that you can be adjusting colours in your image which you cannot see on the monitor. I shall cross that bridge if I come to it.

At the moment I’m trying to plough through this subject of colour space and colour management in particular to get ‘what you see is what you get’ prints. It seems to be a long road ahead, however. The first point to tackle seems to be deciding if it’s necessary to use colour management at all or switch it off and rely on your printer doing it’s job. This may be ok for home printing but as I intend to use professional printers at times I will be forced into dealing with profiles for that purpose.

See my next post on viewing prints and colour temperature of monitors which springs from the last sentence above. I’m hoping for a little guidance from this group.

Richard Lynch’s book the Hidden power… has a couple of chapters dealing with printing. It’s a complicated subject but he has excellent explanations and specifies a way to go about finding the optimum.

That makes it a whole lot easier doesn’t it 🙂
Tel.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections