ME
Posted By
max_ellis
Jun 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m getting a sluggish re-draw of the screen in Photoshop CS, much slower than in PS7. Anybody else experienced/dealt with this?
I’m running G5 Dual 2gig with OS 10.3.4 and 4gig of Ram. Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Jun 2, 2004
What’s the maximum percentage of memory use assigned to Photoshop?
ME
max_ellis
Jun 2, 2004
80%.
R
Ram
Jun 2, 2004
Have you tried Repairing Permissions? Other routine maintenance?

Ramón G Castañeda "Repair Permissions BEFORE AND AFTER installing software (for the FAQs?)" 6/2/04 1:07pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
ME
max_ellis
Jun 2, 2004
Yeah, thanks. I seem to have done everything I can think of. I didn’t repair permissions before I installed however…..
I’m having problems installing at all on my G4, asks for second disk and just freezes when you bung it in.
R
Ram
Jun 2, 2004
That’s precisely why one repairs permissions before installing:

<< In order to do so the permissions have to be exactly as expected by the installer application, otherwise it cannot finish the installation and may even damage your system. >>

[From the link(s) above.]
ME
max_ellis
Jun 2, 2004
I repaired permissions before attempting the G4 installation.
R
Ram
Jun 2, 2004
What about before installing Photoshop?
ME
max_ellis
Jun 2, 2004
Yes that’s right. I found out about repairing permissions AFTER I did the initial installation on the G5. (on this site actually) When I came to my back up machine I prepared it. It does beggar the question, if this procedure is so vital to proper installation why doesn’t the installation software prompt the user before continuing….

If I reinstall the software on the G5 will this correct the problem?

Thanks.
R
Ram
Jun 2, 2004
Max,

If I reinstall the software on the G5 will this correct the problem?

It’s impossible to tell from here. You could have other hardware or software issues.

why doesn’t the installation software prompt the user before continuing…

There are a lot of things that Apple and others could be doing better. I have no insight as to why they don’t.
ME
max_ellis
Jun 2, 2004
Thanks for your help

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections