Posted By
Cris_Daniels
Dec 30, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there something going on here?

New G5 8 core 3.2ghz, 16gb RAM, 4th internal HD is totally allocated to PS scratch disk, and this thing is a pig. The GUI runs fine, quick and stable, but processing anything seems slow, 200-300mb images are pokey, building panoramas drags on and on. I’m tempted to switch back to 64 bit Vista if this keeps up. Memory set to 75% (arghh…), plenty of disk space, etc…

I don’t remember my 4 core Intel G5 on CS3 being anywhere near this slow.

TIA

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Dec 30, 2008
New G5 8 core

There is no such animal. If it has an Intel chip, it is NOT a G5.

4 core Intel G5

Ditto.

The G5 is a PPC machine, one generation prior to the Mac-Intels.

G5 stands for generation 5; Mac-Intels are the sixth Mac generation.

Would you care to share what exact version of the OS you’re running?

What are the specs of your video card?
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 30, 2008
Also, how much free hard drive space, GB scratch allocation, what else is currently running, etc. Have you repaired permissions? Run DiskWarrior? Have you checked for duplicate or corrupted fonts?

Neil
CD
Cris_Daniels
Dec 30, 2008
Ok, I thought for some reason thought they were still called G5’s, sorry. I only have one PPC G5 left in the studio, but yes I am referring to the current MacPro 8 core 3.2ghz.

The machine is new, current OS (10.5.6), the Nvidia graphics card upgrade (GeForce 8800GT). Drive one is 500gb, two is 1TB, three is 1TB, four is 500gb. Drive one is only for apps, and four is only for a scratch disk.

This machine is not wacked with a ton of programs, just Adobe Production Premium CS4 (minus Premiere Pro which I don’t use). Only thing running during PS is Bridge

I will try repairing permissions, I will get Disk Warrior if you guys think it is worth trying. Not sure how to find a corrupted font.
R
Ram
Dec 30, 2008
Drive one is only for apps,

…as well as the OS, one would hope. Adobe apps really need to reside on the same volume as the OS.

Disk Warrior if you guys think it is worth trying

It’s an essential tool for Mac users.

Not sure how to find a corrupted font.

FAP (FontAgent Pro) is pretty good at ferreting out problem fonts. A 30-day fully functional demo version is available.
R
Ram
Dec 30, 2008
How much VRAM on that video card?
CD
Cris_Daniels
Dec 31, 2008
of course, all apps and the OS are on the first drive. Things seem to be running really well this second. I did a repair permissions and it took a while, verified everything, did a reboot, and things were working pretty much as I expected now. I don’t know exactly what permissions do, I’m far more familar with the Windows world. I have Disk Warrior, the last version which I used on my old PPC G5. I will get a new copy if you say it is that valuable to use.

CArd has 512MB VRAM. I will also try the FontAgent Pro, thanks.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 31, 2008
Repairing Permissions after installing CS4 is absolutely essential. It seems to be the Flash components that cause the trouble.

I always run Disk Warrior too after doing a major installation like the CS4 Suite
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jan 1, 2009
I have Disk Warrior, the last version which I used on my old PPC G5. I will get a new copy if you say it is that valuable to use.

Yes, it is that valuable to use; essential even. However do NOT attempt to use your old copy on OS 10.5.6, get the very latest DW version.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections