KR
Posted By
Kristi_Roekle
May 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Photoshop 7, OS 9.0…I’ve got a file with a duotone (pms876/blk) in the background and I’m trying to layer some type over it. I want the type to be 876. I’ve got 2 channels, duotone and pms 876, when I select the 876 channel my foregound color is black. I’m told this will separate correctly because 876 has it’s own plate, but isn’t there any way to make it display in the correct color? I need to email this out for approval and I don’t think I’ll get it if they can’t see the type!

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 26, 2004
I don’t know if this is the best answer, but rather than let the topic sink…

I would just make the type on a layer and fake it for approval. Just trash the layer or make a separate file for final output.

There may be a better answer but I never work with spot channels so I don’t know.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 26, 2004
You will also have to knock the type out of the Black channel (by filling the type with white) but you will also need to trap the type.

Can you not save the Duotone image as a DCS2; place in a page layout program like InDesign and insert the type in that document?
DK
Doug_Katz
May 26, 2004
Ann, if that’s a viable way for Kristi (setting type elsewhere), why DCS2? Why not PSD or PDF? Wouldn’t these more "modern" and more convenient formats be the better choice for that duotone? I’ve been under the recent impression that the (inferior) DCS format remains only necessary for the (equally inferior) Quark, no? In fact, PSD or PDF could go into AICS as well.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 26, 2004
Build your job in CMYK where as, for example, Cyan is the spot color. That way, you can have editable vector text along with all the benefits of layers and masks.

no DCS required.

And yes, Adobe needs to, at some point in my life time, address spot processing in PS and market the damn thing.
J
jonf
May 26, 2004
I’d agree with Ann that it might be more efficient to place the type in a page layout program.

If you must keep this as a multichannel PS file it ought to display correctly, though. The type should be in the PMS 876 channel. With the type as an area selection you should then delete out of the black channel, and it ought to display correctly with the pms876 and no black showing through. To my knowledge this is uneditable: I don’t believe you can use layers in multichannel mode, so once you’ve placed your type and deleted it from the black channel it’s that way forever. You could always make copies of your channels (for "backup"), but you’d need to delete extra channels for final output.
JS
John_Slate
May 26, 2004
It would be nice if you could work up the file, and all the other files that go along with it, using proxy color, like Cyan and Black, then use ink manager in ID to alias Cyan to the proper spot color and use that setup just for color laser printing or PDFing, then revert to Cyan and Black for the actual production printouts.

….at least until there is complete support for spot colors (ie layers) in Photoshop
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 26, 2004
<< if that’s a viable way for Kristi (setting type elsewhere), why DCS2? Why not PSD or PDF?>>

This would depend on whether she has InDesign or is still saddled with QXP.

Placing the Duotone directly into InDesign; setting the Type to print in the Pantone color; and Exporting to a PDF would do it for her.

Then all that she has to do is to send the PDF for "approval".

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections