Posted By
Matt_McGregor
Aug 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Layers for SPOT channels CS3 (Mac)??

Can content in a spot channel be applied to specific layers only?

I have clients that supply cover files for publications as layered photoshop files and request that the Title and possibly other content is run in a spot color. I do this by "New Spot Channel" in the channel palette, then nominate the required Pantone colour.

When selecting the "Spot Channel" in the channel listing the target layer that I want to apply the spot color to is deselected and the content added to the image in the spot channel defaults to front of the image with no apparent means of shifting it to a sub-layer. This is a pain.

The cover file required, has a clipped image of guys head (part of the central image) that runs over the top of the publication title.

The tedious workaround I used to achieve this was to :

1. Divide the original file into 2 halfs. Foreground and Background.

2. Add the spot color channel and content to the background file. Content defaults to sitting "on top" of all other layers. (though is not specific to one layer – Ie. All layers can be turned off and the spot color is still viewing).

3. Ensure the foreground file has a transparent background.

4. Place the Background file (with the spot color channel into InDesign), duplicate the image (in place). Place the Foreground image into the duplicate graphic frame sitting on top of the background.

This produces the correct result with the Spot content sitting in the "Middle" layer of the image.

Is there an easier way to control the position (layering) of spot color channels in Photoshop with creating 2 files and recombining in Indesign ??

Thanks in Advance.

Matt.

Photoshop CS3 (v10.0.1)
Mac OS : 10.4.11
Mac : G5 PPC D2G/5GB/2×160/SD

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Aug 13, 2008
Treat the spot channel as a layer
JM
J_Maloney
Aug 13, 2008
Command, then command-shift click on all the layers "above" the spot. Use that selection to delete the spot channel and make it seem "in the middle".

You might have to apply layers masks on anything on "top" if you’ve got more than one. For just one, command click the mask and then command-option-shift click the associated layer to intersect the selection (get the effective transparency). Then walk down the rest of the layer stack with command-shift click.

I’d be interested to know how to get a transparency mask of a layer group in one click, but can’t figure it out.

J

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections