T
Posted By
Tommo
Jun 5, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I want to create a clipping mask that is the inverse of a shape (say a star shape from the shapes tool). In other words I want it to hide the outside of the shape over a photo, so that only the photo shows inside the star shape, but not on the inverse of the star. Is there an easy way to do this? Or do I have to rasterize the shape and select inverse and delete?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GD
glen_deman
Jun 5, 2005
You can draw the vector shape you want and create a vector mask from it; then you can toggle if it hides the inside or outside by clicking on the add or subtract to shape area buttons.

If you want to use a raster shape, you can use it as a mask and then just invert the shape to determine what it hides.
T
Tommo
Jun 5, 2005
Thanks!
RK
Ronald Keller
Jun 6, 2005
Tommo,

Create your star shape not as a Shape layer but as Paths. (second icon) Then Layer > Add Vector Mask > Current Path.

Regards,
Ronald

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections