Copy Layer mask to Smart Filter mask. How?

DJ
Posted By
Dennis_J_Jacobsen
Nov 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I do this in CS4?

Thanks, djj

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

M
Mylenium
Nov 2, 2008
I don’t quite understand you. Filter masks are no different from any other mask/ selection. You can paint, copy&paste, load and save them just the same. Select the source mask, then choose "Apply Filter Mask". You may just need to delete the initial full size mask.

Mylenium
DJ
Dennis_J_Jacobsen
Nov 2, 2008
Hi Mylenium,

When I go to Layer/Layer Mask/Apply the latter is greyed out.

I have tried dragging and copying and pasting to no avail.

I have an image with two people in the foreground. I have darkened the image with curves, applied black to the curves layer mask and then painted the photo background with white to apply the curves adjustment in the normal manner.

I then converted the Photoshop Background layer to a Smart Object and applied Gaussian Blur as a Smart Filter. I want to use the mask I created in the curves layer on the Smart Filter rather than create it again.

If you have time to duplicate my efforts and are successful in copying the normal layer mask into the Filter Mask, I would appreciate it if you could advise me of the steps you took.

If anyone else would like to do the same, please do.

Thanks,

Dennis
BS
boarder_s_paradise
Nov 3, 2008

1) Strg+click the curves’ layer mask
2) right-click on smart filters and choose "add filter mask"

why wouldn’t that work ?
F
Freeagent
Nov 3, 2008
If you have time to duplicate my efforts and are successful in copying the normal layer mask into the Filter Mask, I would appreciate it if you could advise me of the steps you took.

The easiest way I found was via the alpha channel of the curves mask. Load selection from alpha channel, click the filter mask, and fill selection. It works, but there may be an even easier way.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Nov 4, 2008
Just option drag the mask from one place to another – a dialog will come up asking you if you want to replace the current mask… yes
DJ
Dennis_J_Jacobsen
Nov 4, 2008
Thank you for your replies. Here are step by step directions:

To insert a mask from an Adjustment Layer into a Filter Mask of a Smart Object do the following:
1) Activate the Adjustment Layer (containing the source mask) by clicking on it
2) Switch to Channels
3) Ctrl Click on the alpha channel to load the mask as a selection
4) Swtich back to Layers and activate the Smart Object layer
5) Apply your filter of choice

6) As you do #5, the mask from the Adjustment Layer is applied and the selection is turned off

I will find this useful when photographing people against a light background. I can darken just the background with a curves adjustment layer and a dark mask over the subject people.

With the above procedure I can add a Gaussian blur to the background without having to redraw the mask.

Regards,

Dennis
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Nov 4, 2008
Does my method not work then Dennis?
DJ
Dennis_J_Jacobsen
Nov 5, 2008
Mark, I do not see your post. It seems to have disappeared. I tried it and it worked, I just found the above method a little easier for me.

Dennis
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Nov 5, 2008
! Ok

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections