DM
Posted By
Dan_Mikal_Sr
Nov 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just purchased Elements 2.0 and in scanning the "read me" I happened upon this statement. "XP does not allow certain sections of the registry to be written to by users without administrative privileges. It is recommended that only those with administrator accounts install Photoshop Elements on Windows 2000 and Windows XP." Am I going to experience problems running "Elements 2.0"? Have I made a mistake in purchasing this program because I am using Windows XP professional? Should I perhaps run "Elements 2.0" in a previous version of Windows utilizing the "Compatibility" option I have with XP?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
jhjl1
Nov 21, 2003
I have XP home on both of my computers and have never had the slightest glitch with Elements 2.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 21, 2003
Lots of people use Elements in XP Pro with no problems. Even I can do it! 🙂
R
RobertHJones
Nov 21, 2003
Works fine in XP. You do need need administer privileges to install it correctly in WinXP and 2000, and that’s what the statement was talking about.

Bob
B
BobHill
Nov 21, 2003
Elements is fully useable with Windows XP. No problem at all with XP Home Edition, and the only problem with XP Pro is you must have Administrative Rights to be able to use ALL functions of Elements. This is NOT limited to Elements, but also is true of many of the high end programs out there today. It’s a limitation of XP and Windows 2000 mainly for corporate people where security is of large concern and the local corporate administrator wishes to control what is available for employees. Full Administrative rights in XP and Win 2000 DOES NOT give give the user full Network Administrative rights, BUT it does give more control over the local system than some Administrators like to give. This is also true, bye the way, for corporate use of full PhotoShop and Illustrator, etc. as well as other high end programs from other companies other than Adobe. But for those of you using XP Pro and Windows 2000, there should be NO problem in being the Administrator, or at least in having Administrative rights, unless this is a system with "child" protection and the user is not assigned Rights due to that reason.

Bob
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 21, 2003
Actually, Photoshop Elements is no different than a lot of other software programs. Many of them require that you have administrative privileges in order to install. In all probability, unless you have gone to a lot of effort to create different user types and users can user groups, etc., you will probably already have the appropriate rights to install the software. If you have any questions, just look at your user account to see what rights you have.
DM
Dan_Mikal_Sr
Nov 22, 2003
Bob, Thanks for the thorough explanation. It’s people like you who take the time to write out all the details for a complete answer that make it easier for novices like myself to gain some understanding of the technology. There are so many breif and assuming responses. It’s often difficult to make sense of them. Again, thanks for taking the time, I understand much better now.
B
BobHill
Nov 22, 2003
Dan,

You certainly are welcome. You’ll find a treasure of excellent people who frequent this forum to help you with all things in Elements.

Bob

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections