AT
Posted By
A.Translator
Nov 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am so sorry to bother you about this, but I get no response from more appropriate groups and this group is always so nice about SOT postings, so here I go:

Perhaps I have been too greedy, but after reading in this group about multi-display possibilities, I checked my card (Nvidia GeForce4 MX) and found it did support dual monitors. So I downloaded and installed the latest drivers.

I wish I hadn’t!

Now I have the same effect I had when I first started out with this Dell TFT flatpanel: text on the screen looks like the ink has been running. It is blotchy, as though drops of water fell on a handwritten page.

I remember this problem was solved the first time around by checking Clear Type (I am on Windows XP). That setting still reads clear type, so what else can I do?

I know I can do a system restore, but would rather not because of the dual monitors I would like to install later on.

Can anyone help me?
Thank you!

Groet, Adriana.
[Gravity is a myth. The Earth sucks.]

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Nov 5, 2003
Hi. I’ve been rather busy and haven’t been posting lately, but I thought I would say something since no one else has, yet. It probably won’t be very helpful, but you never know. Have you tried toggling that option? It’s possible that the driver is running with the default settings and whatever is being displayed for you might not necessarily match reality. I’ve had this happen to me before. All I had to do was make a change and then change it back, and things started working as expected. So if it were me, I would turn that clear text option on, reboot, and then turn it off and reboot again, and then see what happens. If it’s still bad, then I’m out of ideas. ๐Ÿ™
R
RobertHJones
Nov 5, 2003
Adriana,

Before we get too far into this, I’d just like to confirm that your video card really does support two monitors. I know you said you checked, but I’m wondering if they told you the right thing.

Here’s the issue: All the nvidia GEForce 4 MX graphics processing units do indeed support dual monitors. That is a function of the chipset. But, not all cards that were built with that chipset actually included the other hardware and electronics to let you do so. So, some cards can and others can’t. Usually, they only put the extra monitor support on the higher end (and more expensive) cards.

Did you check with the specific manufacturer of your card or did you just contact NVidia? If you bought it as a complete system, did you check with the computer manufacturer?

Does your system have two monitor connectors on the back?

Thanks!
AT
A.Translator
Nov 5, 2003
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:38:38 -0800, wrote:

Did you check with the specific manufacturer of your card or did you just contact NVidia?

I checked on Nvidia’s website where it says all cards of the type GeForce4MX support multi display – as they call it.
The drivers I downloaded include something called nView that can be toggled on and is, I take it, meant for dual monitors.

NB: I do not as yet hรกve two monitors installed; I am just preparing for it.

If you bought it as a complete system, did you check with the computer manufacturer?

I thought Nvidia was the manufacturer?
The pc is a Dell Dimension of the (higher end) 8000 series. The original configuration used another graphics card, but when ordering I opted for one slightly more expensive, thinking : I may not play games, but I might need it for PE and Dreamweaver, the programmes I use most.

Thanks for responding!

Regards, Adriana.
AT
A.Translator
Nov 5, 2003
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 18:49:42 -0800, Vicky Bilaniuk wrote:

but I thought I would say something

Thanks!

Toggling True Type on and off does not seem to make any difference. However, changing the refreshment rate back from 72 to 60 makes things look better.

Groet, Adriana.
AT
A.Translator
Nov 6, 2003
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:38:38 -0800, wrote:

Does your system have two monitor connectors on the back

I see what you mean, now.
No I do not have two connectors, so I guess I’ll have to get a second card as well as a second monitor. My second monitor will be a tine 9-inch one, just for the palettes. It cannot go higher than 600 X 800, and I was first told I would have to have my main monitor at that resolution as well. That won’t be good enough, so I was relieved to hear that I can have different resolution on different monitors.

Thanks for clarifying things!

Groet, Adriana.
R
RobertHJones
Nov 6, 2003
No I do not have two connectors, so I guess I’ll have to get a second
card as well as a second monitor.

Adriana,

I haven’t personally worked with dual monitor systems so I can’t tell you the issues of two video cards versus one video card with dual head support.

At work, we do have a number of dual monitor systems and those use a single dual head video card. We map those such that they work like one desktop spread over the two screens. Our applications use the same size monitors and resolutions.

It would be best to talk to someone who has done this before you go out and buy another video card. If you have a computer store near you that can configure custom systems, you may want to just go in and see if they’ve put together dual monitor systems and talk to them about what you need.

Maybe someone here or in the photoshop forum has a dual monitor system and can say what you need.

Bob
AT
A.Translator
Nov 8, 2003
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:10:15 -0800, wrote:

Maybe someone here or in the photoshop forum has a dual monitor system and can say what you need.

If it hadn’t been for this group, I wouldn’t have know dual display was possible.

I went out, bought a second card and a small 6 inch monitor (second hand) for next to nothing. It takes up very little space yet holds my tools and palettes as intended.

I really like this set up, all though I will be saving up for another nice 15" as second monitor.

Thanks everyone for bringing up the subject!
(somewhere along the line the threads got mixed up. Sorry!) —
Groet, Adriana.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections