KL
Posted By
Katherine_Lawson
Jun 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is probably a stupid question, but I don’t know how to add another monitor.

I know my graphics card supports it and it is mentioned in the driver.

I use a 17" monitor for my main one, but my old monitor, (which is still running perfectly), only goes to 800×600. I would like to be able to put the pallettes and stuff on the 800×600 monitor, but I don’t know whether or not I can do that with PSCS since the resolution is so low. Will I be able to use that resolution for the rest of PSCS, or do both monitors have to have a minimum of 1049, or whatever it is that Photoshop CS requires? (I always use higher resolutions, so I don’t remember what the smallest supported one is). (Maybe dual monitors even have to both be set up to use the same resolution)???

Also, how do you hook up dual monitors? Is it some kind of a Y cable or something? And what would that cable be called if that is how it is done? I’ve asked at Staples, Circuit City, and Best Buy, which are the only places anywhere near us that would have such a thing, but none of them have the faintest idea of what I am talking about, plus they can’t understand why I would need dual monitors, and they all seem to think it is impossible to have dual monitors.

I wish one of those companies would pay someone who knows something about computers extra money to answer questions, because those places are so frustrating to deal with!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
pboone
Jun 14, 2004
Katherine,

I can clearly remember when I didn’t know how to set up dual monitors!

I’m using dual monitors now though and I LOVE it! The main 19 inch one at 1024 x 768 and the second 17 inch monitor at 800 x 600 with PSCS, no problems.

About cables… There was a special adapter that came with my Matrox G550 video card that I have plugged my second monitor plug into, then that adapter into the back of the video card. The video card has two places to connect monitors, but they are different configurations.

If you’re sure your video card supports dual monitors, take a look in the box your video card came in and see if you have an adapter in there. If not, check with the manufacturer of your video card and ask what kind of adapter you need to connect a second monitor.

After you’re hooked up, reboot your computer,

Right click on your desktop >properties >Settings

From that screen, select dual monitors and choose your two resolutions settings and drag the monitor icons to the correct position to indicate which you prefer to be your main monitor.

HTH,

Paz
KL
Katherine_Lawson
Jun 15, 2004
Thanks Paz,
It helps a lot!

I will need to contact NVidia about an adaptor, because my card came installed in my computer.

In the NVidia display setup thing, I am already set up for displaying across two monitors, so I expect I will need to change very little when I get an adaptor. The NVidia driver has all sorts of tabs with tons of options, and a lot of them refer to dual monitors. I basically didn’t know what I needed to hook them up, and whether or not it was even worth it with the other monitor only able to go to 800×600.

Now, thanks to you, I can get going on it!

Kathi
P
pboone
Jun 15, 2004
Kathi,

You will LOVE being able to have your palettes open on a second monitor. I find that 800×600 works fine for that.

Be sure to check your video card. Since it is a different brand from mine, it might be set up differently.

It is theoretically possible that you may be able to simply plug both monitors into it as is.

Paz
R
Rabid
Jun 15, 2004
Katherine,

The cables you need should be available at any computer store, they’re the standard VGA cables. You may not even need them if you already have them for the monitors. If the card has DVI output (large plugs as vs. the smaller plugs for VGA) you’ll need to buy a couple of DVI-VGA adapters.

Also, be sure to go to the card manufacturer site and get the latest drivers. For some reason, the ones that ship with the Nvid cards usually do a poor job of enabling two monitors.
wrote in message
Kathi,

You will LOVE being able to have your palettes open on a second monitor. I
find that 800×600 works fine for that.
Be sure to check your video card. Since it is a different brand from mine,
it might be set up differently.
It is theoretically possible that you may be able to simply plug both
monitors into it as is.
Paz

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections