GS
Posted By
George_Stark
Apr 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a G4 OSX, PS CS etc.. I’m about to take the plunge into the dual monitor setup and was curious if I can run the browser as well as the tools on one monitor while keeping the work on another. With the dual setup can you still use TAB to bring the tools in and out over the browser?.. It seems like it would be great to be able to run the browser on a separate monitor from time to time.
Thanks
George

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Apr 25, 2004
Well, I just tried it, and it works for me in Panther 10.3.3 and Photoshop 7.0.1.

I like to keep the browser on the main monitor, same as the image I’m working on; but I just tried what you suggest and confirmed it’s possible. What the tab key does is hide the palettes alltogether.

My Photoshop 8 hasn’t arrived, but I assume that hasn’t changed.
B
Buko
Apr 25, 2004
the browser would be behind the tools.

hard to see.

ne need to have the browser open all the time. waste of RAM
R
Ram
Apr 25, 2004
Yes, that would slow you down considerably.
GS
George_Stark
Apr 25, 2004
I wouldn’t keep it going all the time, but sometimes it would be nice when building montages etc. to scan other images in the browser on a second monitor while keeping the project full screen on the main monitor. Unlike most of you folks, I’m a casual user of Photoshop and can afford to waste a little RAM from time to time. Thanks for the info Ramon ! As always I appreciate your time.
George
R
Ram
Apr 25, 2004
George,

The slow down would really be remarkable if you keep the browser open when you have images open and you’re working on them. I’m talking about your having to stare at the monitor for several seconds while you go from one tool to another, for instance. Only you can decide whether that’s worth it to you.

There’s no harm in trying, of course; but my feeling is you’re going to give up on that idea real soon. 🙂
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Apr 25, 2004
–>The slow down would really be remarkable if you keep the browser open when you have images open and you’re working on them.

Not if you turn off Preferences>File Browser>Allow Background Processing. Unless you’re actually using the FB in the foreground, it doesn’t take up any RAM, just some scratch space.

I keep the FB open as a matter of course, and have done so for well over a year. Unless the FB is actually doing something—reading metadata, building thumbs and previews—it has zero impact on foreground operations
R
Ram
Apr 25, 2004
Bruce,

How about in Photoshop 7.0.1? (I’m expecting Photoshop 8 to arrive tomorrow.) I don’t even see a File Browser preference in Photoshop7.
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Apr 26, 2004
–>How about in Photoshop 7.0.1?

It’s been well over a year since I even launched Photoshop 7.0.1, but if I remember correctly, it didn’t have any preferences and I recommended keeping it closed unless it was actually in use. Whole different animal.
R
Ram
Apr 26, 2004
Thanks, Bruce. That clears it up.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections