Posted By
Welles_Goodrich
May 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
• New! Faster importing into large libraries
• New! Drop a folder in sets or libraries to import them and create a new set or library • New! Specify fonts to re-activate at start up
• New! Activate and deactivate fonts in Classic
• New! Improved auto-activation is more accurate and faster • New! Click to import shared fonts
• New! Improved WYSIWYG, FontPlayer, and FontCompare rendering • New! Type to jump to the matching item in the list
• New! Improved icons in toolbar and list views

That’s what. Sounds good. I guess I’ll have to set up this version as I hadn’t bothered with 2.0. There goes a couple of days.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
Cindy
May 17, 2004
So how do you like it compared to 1.4 and 2.0?
R
Ram
May 17, 2004
And this is what’s still missing:

The ability to create arbitrary submenus in the font menus of all your applications, like ATR does in 9.2.2.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 17, 2004
Cindy,

I haven’t bothered setting up 2.0 because it took me three days to set up 1.4 and that was just two months before 2.0 with the ‘new’ SQL database. I waited for this version to have the equivalent of a startup set and hopefully better auto-activation. I also hope this version boots up faster. FAP 1.4 was adding 2.5 minutes to my startup time but the program worked much better than FontReserve so I’ll stick with it. I’ll bet Ann has a good idea of the functionality of 2.0.
B
Buko
May 17, 2004
I’ve been using the 2.1 beta and I really like it the auto activation is great.

I haven’t even made a set for it yet.
C
Cindy
May 17, 2004
Ann? Ann? 🙂
NK
Neil_Keller
May 17, 2004
Welles,

This would be even more useful if you posted it in the ATM/Type forum. ; – )

Thanks.

Neil
L
LRK
May 17, 2004
Hi Neil,

Please keep it here as well. I don’t subscribe to the ATM/Type forum and I would like to follow this thread as it develops.
NK
Neil_Keller
May 17, 2004
LRK,

I’m not moving it — just asking for it to also be linked there via URL, where there is a larger audience for this product.

But you can easily follow any thread, no matter where it resides.

Thanks.

Neil
R
Ram
May 17, 2004
I’ve been using the latest version of 2.0.x (I’m not currently at the Mac to see the exact number), which is the first version of FAP I’ve ever installed.

I’m very pleased with the auto activation in Word X and InDesign. It doesn’t seem to work if you open a Word document through Text Edit, but I haven’t investigated further.

It does not add at all to the launch time.

My only wish is for arbitrary submenus, as noted in my post# 2 above.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 17, 2004
Cindy asked for my input but I really can’t add anything at this stage.

When I tried the trial version of FAP 2.0, I could see no worthwhile improvement over 1.4 — just a hefty upgrade price and a huge investment in time to rebuild all of my font libraries and special Sets — so I stuck with 1.4.

As far as 2.1 is concerned, I plan to wait until after I install Tiger (which will be at least a month after it ships!) — and then see what users are saying about FAP 2.1.x.
B
Buko
May 17, 2004
In a few days you’ll forget you even had submenus. B)
L
LRK
May 17, 2004
Thanks Neil!
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 17, 2004
Neil,

This would be even more useful if you posted a URL link to it in the ATM/Type forum. ; – )

Done!

Cheers!
R
Ram
May 17, 2004
Linda,

I’m confident I’ve been using 2.0.x all this time.

I’m definitely looking forward to Classic activation when I upgrade tonight. So far I’ve been booting up in 9.2.2 to use my non OS X applications because of this shortcoming of 2.0.x.
L
LRK
May 17, 2004
Hi Ramon,

I’m still making do with FontBook. I seem I have a lot fewer problems by not using a third party font manager. After having so much trouble with Suitcase and FontReserve for OSX, I have been cautious about investing in another one. I will follow along though and if in a month or two things still look good I might consider FAP.
B
Buko
May 17, 2004
Ann 2.1 is much better than 1.4. It doesn’t even have to stay running in the background like 1.4. the Auto activation is exellent for PS, AI, and ID. it works so smoothly I just haven’t needed a startup set yet. It is definitely worth the upgrade.
R
Ram
May 17, 2004
Buko,

In a few days you’ll forget you even had submenus.

That’s extremely unlikely. This is the one thing I hate most about OS X, the lack of those submenus.

I know exactly what each of my typefaces looks like, but I’m very likely to forget or be unaware that I have a particular one that might be specially suited for a new project. The submenus provided by ATR in 9.2.2 show me all my fonts on my hard disk(s), with the ones that are not activated being grayed out, but the names are there as a reminder. The submenus show me all my fonts by type classification, so the Grotesque submenu will list all my sans serifs, the Russian Type submenu all the Cyrillic faces, etc.
B
Buko
May 17, 2004

B)
C
Cindy
May 17, 2004
I have been testing out 2.1 this morning. I think I really like it. It is much faster and auto activation works. There are options on font activation for everyone. There is Classic activation although I have not seen how that works yet. All in all it looks really good and I am moving up from 1.4 now.
DK
Doug_Katz
May 17, 2004
"It doesn’t even have to stay running in the background like 1.4."

Really? You mean you can Quit FAP and your active fonts remain active? And auto-activation works even from this closed/Quit state?
R
Ram
May 17, 2004
Doug,

That has been my experience with 2.0.x,
DK
Doug_Katz
May 17, 2004
So it’s more like ATM which was actually active in the background, but the "full" application did not need to be open?
NK
Neil_Keller
May 17, 2004
Thanks, Welles!

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 17, 2004
I immediately acted on Buko’s recommendation: FAP 2.1 is now installed and registered; all Libraries have been imported. So far I like 2.1 enormously and no problems have surfaced.

[ They had better not surface or I shall be after Buko like a steaming dragon……]
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 17, 2004
Ann,

Was there any tricky way of importing both libraries and sets? I really don’t want to go through 6,500 fonts by hand.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 17, 2004
I had organized my fonts into categories before importing them into FAP 1.4 and imported them into Libraries with the same names in FAP’s "FontAgent Pro Fonts" data base so all that I had to do was to create new Libraries (named the same way) in FAP2 and import the contents of each folder from FAP 1.4’s Fonts Folder into the correct FAP2 Library.

As far as my Sets go: I have the windows of both FAPs open and am just recreating new Sets by dragging/dropping files from the "All Fonts" list into the appropriate Set in FAP2 to match the collections which I had in FAP 1.4. There doesn’t seem to be any better way to recreate the Sets.

[ Buko is still safe from being roasted. ]
R
Ram
May 17, 2004
Buko is still safe from being roasted.

Can a steaming dragon (as opposed to a fire-breathing one) actually roast a live being (as opposed to poaching, steaming or blanching him)?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 17, 2004
This one is both fire-breathing and steaming at the same time — he had better be REALLY scared.
R
Ram
May 17, 2004
Ah, well, in that case …
B
Buko
May 17, 2004

B)
B
Buko
May 17, 2004
I installed it just before working on my last magazine.

I figured the worst that could happen was having to go back and use 1.4.

I did not make any libraries or sets I just let auto font activation do its thing. It worked perfectly. I have not had the chance to use Classic yet. I may never use it again, so I don’t really care whether it works with Classic or not. When I get a little extra time I’ll play with the sets.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 17, 2004
Ann,

I had organized my fonts into categories before importing them into FAP
1.4 and imported them into Libraries with the same names in FAP’s…

Yep, me too. However sets are more important to me than Libraries so I’m importing sets. When I went to 1.4 Libraries were actually Foundries and Sets were my own classification system. I’m hoping I can first import sets and then libraries and see if the DB will figure it out.

Here’s hoping I can avoid dragging and dropping all my fonts!
DK
Doug_Katz
May 17, 2004
So if a guy is using OSX 10.2.8, is he eligible for FAP 2.1?

And Ann, you mean you can’t simply TELL the new FAP to use the structure and taxonomy of your 1.4 setup at install? So this doesn’t work like an intelligent application update that uses the old version’s basic arrangements?
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 17, 2004
Doug,

I asked that question of the Insider Tech Support and their answer was that you have to create a completely new database because of the switch to SQL. The benefit is that it is supposed to be much faster and you can add customized data.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 17, 2004
<< So this doesn’t work like an intelligent application update that uses the old version’s basic arrangements? >>

Well maybe FAP2 is more intelligent in that it doesn’t overwrite FAP 1.4, or its database in any way. It actually took me very little time to import my Libraries into FAP2.

My Sets are a little more elaborate. I have some of them arranged to group Fonts according to their characteristics (Scripts, Glyphic, Funky etc.); with others being Client-related.

The Client-related ones may not need to be reconstituted (auto-activation can probably handle that) but I find my Categorized sets useful and worth taking the time to re-create.

As to FAP 2.1’s ability to run on 10.2.8: I don’t know the answer but there is a free Trial version which you could test-drive.
DK
Doug_Katz
May 17, 2004
Thanks, Welles. And do you know by any chance about compatibility with Jaguar 10.2.8?
WG
Welles_Goodrich
May 17, 2004
Doug,

I don’t know but there is no mention of Panther only on the web site so I presume it will work in Jaguar. You might drop Sales a line and ask them.
DK
Doug_Katz
May 17, 2004
Thank you, both.
AW
Allen_Wicks
May 18, 2004
I want to see the steaming dragon.
C
Cindy
May 18, 2004
I want to see the steaming dragon.

You may never be able to see it but you will know it has been there from the scorched earth, singed hairs and downed birds.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 18, 2004
C
Cindy
May 18, 2004
That’s not scary… It’s cute!
L
LRK
May 18, 2004
That’s the way I like my food. 🙂
DK
Doug_Katz
May 19, 2004
OK, so I’m compulsive. I DON’T want any trace of 1.4 on my machine now that I’ve downloaded 2.1 (2.1 is the newest version a/o yesterday). I’ve not installed 2.1, however, because I’ve found elements of 1.4 a little scattered about in both Library and ~/Library as well as ~/Applications. But these files are not specifically marked 1.4, just FontAgent Pro.

So what happens when I install 2.1? Apparently this is an entirely separate version that neither shares nor overwrites 1.4 files? Do you end up with two, separate Registration keys, databases, and so forth? If so, are you guys just leaving all that old crap on your drives? If not, how are you knowing what to remove?

Thanks for helping this Felix Unger.
B
Buko
May 19, 2004
If so, are you guys just leaving all that old crap on your drives?

Felix, my system drive is so huge A few k extra data will not affect me at all.

I have all the different versions of software on my machine that way I always have something to refer back to, if needs be.
DK
Doug_Katz
May 19, 2004
Yea, Buko, but you’re not a Felix Unger. So you’re no help! At least not the one of you who responded above. Do you think you could call out another one of your personalities – maybe one of the ones who feels a need to wash his hands 20 times a day or something like that — to help with this?

Buko, do you also have 1.4 on your system right now? If so, can you tell me if the update simply doubled files and folders like Registration keys and FAP preferences and FAP databases? In other words, do you now have two of these types of files on your drive, one for each version?

Thanks.
R
Ram
May 19, 2004
Doug,

I never had 1.4, but I installed 2.1 without bothering to delete 2.0 and it installed right over it. I can’t find any vestiges of 2.0 at all.
B
Buko
May 19, 2004

1.4 and 2 are different and separate.

2.1 uses all the 2.0 stuff
R
Ram
May 19, 2004
That confirms and explains it. 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 19, 2004
Doug:

Basically just run a couple of searches for "FontAgent" and for "FAP". View by date: anything from 2003 is the old stuff — the new stuff will have a May 2004 date (except for the plug-ins which date from earlier in 2004.

In Applications, you will have two FAP folders:
FontAgent Pro (contains 1.4)
FontAgent Pro 2.1 (contains 2.1)
Delete the former.

On my System, I have two folders at root level:
FontAgent Pro Fonts and
FontAgent Pro Two Fonts
(If yours are named the same way, delete the former (or keep it as a back-up source of your fonts.)

You should also have:
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/FontAgent Pro
and
User/Library/Application Support/FontAgent Pro
Keep both of them.

Macintosh HD/System folder/Startup/FontAgent Pro for Classic (I believe this to be 1.4 from the date)

Macintosh HD/Library/Frameworks / … /
FAProClassicSupport
FAProSharing
FAProActivation
FAProImporter
FAProDB
FAProCommon
Don’t touch these.
DK
Doug_Katz
May 19, 2004
Now ANN’s my type of GAL!!!! Fastidious! Meticuous! Precise! Love her! Both of us were probably toilet trained a little on the early side!

One question, Ann: The two Application Support/FontAgent Pro folders (HD/Library and ~/Library) contain 1.4 Registration keys. What happens to them when I install 2.1?

Interestingly, the last group of files you mention (Frameworks) aren’t on my machine now. Must be part of the new and improved version.

Thanks again.
DK
Doug_Katz
May 19, 2004
And why are YOU leaving 1.4 on your HD?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 19, 2004
I have only just installed 2.1 and will be cleaning 1.4 off shortly — although I may just leave the FontAgent Pro Fonts for backup for a while.
B
Buko
May 19, 2004

1.4 and 2 use two different methods of registration.

1.4 is directly linked to your computers ID

2.0 and up are not.

I spoke with insider about this. the new way allows you to put FAP on both your desktop computer and your Powerbook for the one registration fee.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 19, 2004
I’ve never been toilet trained.
DK
Doug_Katz
May 19, 2004
We know, Mike. You’re much, much healthier for it. "Let us return to nature." (Jean-Jacques Rousseau)

Buko, are you saying those "Registration key" files simply don’t get loaded with 2.0 and up?
C
Cindy
May 19, 2004
I notice the automatic font player does not work in this version…not that I use it that way.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 19, 2004
Cindy:
Yes it does!
Just click on the name of a Set, or a Library, and it will play automatically. You can also adjust the speed.
C
Cindy
May 19, 2004
Thanks Ann, I just found it. I was highlighting a font and then expecting it to play and you have to highlight the library or set.
B
Buko
May 19, 2004
You get a new reg number for 2 and up.
C
Cindy
May 19, 2004
BTW, I love this version!
DK
Doug_Katz
May 19, 2004
Yes? So? What about those registration keys? They simply don’t exist in the new versions?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 19, 2004
Me too. Buko escapes a roasting.
B
Buko
May 19, 2004

1.x was linked to a specific computer ID #

2.x is not.

I have both versions on my computer.

they both operate separately of each other.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 19, 2004
You are sent a serial number when you register.
I think that it may be stored in one of those Framework files.
B
Buko
May 19, 2004
Buko escapes a roasting.

You talk tough Ann but you had no plans on roasting me.

Had you not thought that FAP was ready you would not have installed it.

I do realize that my advice is invaluable and I’m never wrong. B)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 19, 2004

1.x being linked to a specific computer ID # was a real pain.
When I moved everything from my dead G4 to my new computer, I had to explain the circumstances to Insider and ask for a replacement serial number (which they were kind enough to send me).
C
Cindy
May 19, 2004
It was probably a bigger pain for them which is why they changed it 🙂
B
Buko
May 19, 2004
He’s so cute!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 19, 2004
He’s may look cute — but he is actually quite ferocious…
B
Buko
May 19, 2004
Sure he is. wink wink…
SM
Stuart_Marks
May 19, 2004
He’s may look cute — but he is actually quite ferocious…

With that much steam, it looks like Buko gets braised
instead of roasted. 🙂

More seriously, I’ve just installed the trial version of FAP 2.1 and have imported all my fonts into it. The Font Compare feature looks pretty good for generating specimens of lots of different fonts, all the same size. Is there a way to print a specimen of a "waterfall" of different sizes of the same font, like ATM Deluxe could do? Also, is there a way to print a font’s character repertoire?

s’marks
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 19, 2004
It seems that you can print the Font Compare window but all fonts will print at the same size (whatever you designate.)

If you go to Adobe’s Type area and click on the name of a font you can see, and print, a page showing most of the Glyphs in the font. At the bottom of the page, there is a link to a PDF and this note:

"This may show a subset of the character set for this typeface. Please refer to the Glyph Complement PDF for a full showing of this typeface."

Click on the underlined "Glyph Complement PDF " to download it.

< http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/F/BBDQ/F_BBDQ-10005000.jht ml>
SM
Stuart_Marks
May 20, 2004
Hi, yes, the Glyph Complement PDF documents for Adobe’s fonts are extremely useful, particularly for those fonts that have lots of alternate characters. See Poetica Std, for instance:

< http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/F/POEQ/F_POEQ-10005000.jht ml>

(A steal at $29! Just look at those ampersands!)

Unfortunately — and I hate to admit it here — most of my fonts aren’t Adobe fonts, so I was looking for a font utility that would print out all the glyphs. The OS X Character Palette will let you see all the glyphs, but I don’t think it lets you print them out.

FAP seems quite useful and I might purchase it anyway, but I was hoping that it would solve all of my problems. Too much to hope for.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 20, 2004
There is a way that you could print all of the Glyphs:

In InDesign or Illustrator CS, open the Glyphs palette and insert each character into a document by double-clicking on it in the Glyphs palette.
(If you want to get the high-numbered Unicode characters you will need to open one of the OTF Pi fonts to get those.)

Save the file and when you want to print a sample of a different font, just select all and change the font and size to suit.

Actually, it is highly unlikely that your non-Adobe OTFs have any glyphs beyond the standard 256 anyway!
SM
Stuart_Marks
May 20, 2004
Yup, I figured I’d end up having to do something “by hand.”
DK
Doug_Katz
May 20, 2004
In FAP 1.4, in the Main Menu Bar/Tools, there are two items – Verify Fonts and Optimize Fonts – that don’t appear for me in version 2.1’s Tools menu. Have these menu items been discontinued in 2.1, or do I have a bad install? And if they’re discontinued, does this mean there’s no way to periodically check the health of fonts? (The new manual is silent on this.)

Thanks.
DK
Doug_Katz
May 20, 2004
Not a bad install. Insider just told me that these features are, indeed, not on the 2.1 Tools menu and will be reintroduced in future versions.

Is anyone having trouble installing Mulitple Master fonts in 2.1? I can’t get Bickham, ExPonto, Nueva, or Tekton to import. The "core" or "master" font file imports but none of the instances.

I first thought this was just another indication that the world no longer likes MM fonts and is no longer supporting them. But, Kepler, another MM, imports all instances just fine into 2.1.

(Version 1.4 had no problems with these fonts.)
C
Cindy
May 20, 2004
I just tried Bickham and you are correct, it will not install! That is a problem.
B
Buko
May 20, 2004
For the occasional font that FAP will not load I use Font Book they seem to work just fine together.
C
Cindy
May 20, 2004
Ok, all I did is open Font Book and now I seem to have a million fonts I dont want. How do I get rid of this?
B
Buko
May 20, 2004
turn off all but the font you want to activate in font book.

all your other fonts are being controled by FAP
SM
Stuart_Marks
May 20, 2004
Ah, other MM fans!

I’ve been able to import all (I think) instances of MinionMM and MyriadMM, but several copies of the main font file also show up. On the other hand, no instances of PenumbraMM get imported, though the main font file does appear.

Worse, none of the individual instances appear in the Fonts dialog or in ID2’s fonts menu.

This seems more like an OS X issue than a FAP issue. I know this has been discussed on other forums, but I still haven’t gotten to the bottom of MM (non-)support on OS X.
C
Cindy
May 20, 2004
What about necessary system fonts. Wont Font Book turn off those too?
B
Buko
May 20, 2004
What about necessary system fonts. Wont Font Book turn off those too?

that all depends if FAP manages them or not.
R
Ram
May 20, 2004
There is a long thread in the ATM and Type Macintosh forum on the many problems, some of which remain unresolved, with MM fonts in OS X in general.

Robin Breslin "FAQ: Multiple master fonts on OS X" 4/11/02 6:52am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
C
Cindy
May 20, 2004
Thanks Ramone. I will read over that soon as I finish this job I’m doing.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 20, 2004
<< In FAP 1.4, … there are two items – Verify Fonts and Optimize Fonts – that don’t appear for me in version 2.1’s Tools menu. >>

In 2.1 you get a choice in Preferences/Activation to "Verify fonts before activation". I have this option unchecked but can always use it if a font suddenly starts to play-up.

All fonts do get verified when they are first imported into FAP 2.1’s database.
DK
Doug_Katz
May 20, 2004
Yes, Ann. Just that I grew accustomed to running the verify command on the whole database every once in a while. No big deal.

Stuart, FAP 1.4 had no problems with any of my MM fonts under OS 10.2.8. So if its an X thing, it must be an X 10.3.x thing.
R
Ram
May 20, 2004
Actually, it was a Cheetah, Puma and Jaguar issue involving only the OS X and MM fonts, not FAP, and it got fixed at one time, then re-occurred, and now it’s not clear what parts, if any, remain an issue. The thread on the ATM and type forum got too confusing after a while.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 20, 2004
A lot of print houses firmly state "No MM fonts" these days.

I have rather given up on them and now have the OTF versions of my MMs (and I don’t know how well Acrobat 6 Pro handles them because I haven’t tried it to see).
C
Cindy
May 20, 2004
Ann, how do I undo what Font Book did when I opened it? I just want it back the way it was without having to go to my backup drive
B
Buko
May 20, 2004
select font/fonts

edit > disable font
C
Cindy
May 20, 2004
Ok, that is what I did. I just wish I knew which ones were necessary for the system to run.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 20, 2004
These are the only ones that i keep in System/Library Fonts: Apple LiGothic Medium.dfont
AppleGothic.dfont
AquaKanaBold.otf
AquaKanaRegular.otf
Courier.dfont
Geneva.dfont
HelveticaLTStd Roman.otf
Keyboard.dfont
LastResort.dfont
LucidaGrande.dfont
Monaco.dfont
Symbo
Symbol
TimesLTStd Roman.otf
Zapf Dingbats
ZapfDin

Everything else is managed by FAP.
C
Cindy
May 20, 2004
Thank you 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections