How to have both PS7 & CS2 open at the same time.

FB
Posted By
Frank_Bohnem
May 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Why can’t I have both PS7 & CS2 open at the same time? I’m running dual monitors.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 28, 2005
Frank,

I don’t know why two versions can’t be launched together, particularly if the executables have different names (photoshop.exe for PS7, photoshp.exe for PS CS2), but I suspect it is by design. If you think about how memory resources are allocated for Photoshop, I think it pretty much makes sense that two versions cannot be run concurrently; otherwise, they might actually compete with one another for resources, leaving neither to run very efficiently.

Regards,

Daryl
H
Ho
May 28, 2005
Another likely explanation is that the two programs load a number of files (dlls, for example) with the same names but which are, in fact, different versions. Conflicts would probably prevent one, if not both, instances of Photoshop from operating properly.
JZ
Jun_Zhou
May 29, 2005
I installed the CS2 with CS in the same driver but differnet directory. I pretty agree with Ho that the two share a number of files which causes them cannot work together…
DM
dave_milbut
May 29, 2005
I’m going with daryl. it’s by design and it’s due to resource usage.

there’s no problem sharing dlls in memory. it’s about how ps in general uses the entire system.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections