JE
Posted By
James_Earl_Jones
May 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am just starting out…I have set the canvas at 8 x 10. The print size I want is 8 x 10. My resolution is only at 280.6. How do I increase the resolution without increasing the print size. The image is coming of a cd.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
May 15, 2004
JEJ,

In response to another post of yours elsewhere, I already gave you a link to a thread that discussed this in great detail. Read it again.

My advice is to print your image as is. You may lose more in the process of upsampling to 300ppi or 360ppi that you would gain. If you still want to do it, and I repeat I would not recommend it in this particular case, use Photoshop’s Bicubic Smooth resampling method to specify the new resolution you want with the resampling box checked. Leave the dimensions alone, of course.

Incidentally, it doesn’t matter one bit where your image is coming from.
PF
Peter_Figen
May 15, 2004
In the Image Menu, choose Image Size and check the Resample Image box. Type in the resolution you want. If you’re printing on an inkjet, 280 ppi is plenty, but this is how to do what you are asking.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
May 15, 2004
So are you saying it really isn’t going to make any difference or there is no way to increase it w/o resampling?
R
Ram
May 15, 2004
JEJ,

Try it out both ways and see for yourself. You’re never going to learn otherwise.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
May 15, 2004
Ramon, I have read that link and will read it again. Everyone keeps telling me "You want to try to get it over 330 or more…." I guess I am just confused.
AW
Allen_Wicks
May 15, 2004
The image is what it is. Set the size to 8×10 without resampling and print it. Let your eyes be the judge.
R
Ram
May 15, 2004
JEJ,

So are you saying it really isn’t going to make any difference or there is no way to increase it w/o resampling?

Yes, that’s what both Peter and I are saying.

And no, you can’t increase resolution without resampling; changing the resolution without changing the size means RESAMPLING.
R
Ram
May 15, 2004
Allen is telling you the same thing, JEJ.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
May 15, 2004
Hey…I just want to make sure I am getting this right…Are you all telling me the same thing? hahahahahaha…I’m just messin’. Thanks guys! I will be sure to ask a million more questions.
R
Ram
May 15, 2004
JEJ,

Ramon, I have read that link and will read it again. Everyone keeps telling me "You want to try to get it over 330 or more…." I guess I am just confused.

They’re telling you to START OUT with as large an image as you can. In other word, use a camera with greater resolution (more pixels) or scan your film at greater resolution (more pixels).

330ppi makes no sense; I can see 300ppi and, better still 360ppi (if your inkjet’s resolution is 2880dpi, think of this 360 > 720 > 1440 > 2880. See the pattern?)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 15, 2004
JEJ:

We have gone through this whole resolution/re-sizing thing for you in at least three threads in the last two months!

James Earl Jones "How do I increase the resolution in my image when ready……." 4/7/04 3:49pm </cgi-bin/webx?14>
James Earl Jones "Increasing ppi with out increasing the size of….." 4/19/04 4:50pm </cgi-bin/webx?14>
James Earl Jones "Is a scanned image better to work with than a …" 4/19/04 3:13pm </cgi-bin/webx?14>

What is it that you STILL don’t understand?

< ¿¿¿¿¿¿…SIGH OF INCREDULOUS EXASPERATION…¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿ >
R
Ram
May 15, 2004
🙂
NK
Neil_Keller
May 15, 2004
JEJ,

It is apparent from your many posts on the subject that you still have some questions about image resolution. The folks here are really trying hard to assist. To underscore what Ann is saying, where is this subject tripping you up?

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections