JG
Posted By
Jim_Goshorn
May 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A relative of mine asked if I could print out some invitations. She is going to supply the paper and only wants me to print plain text 4up on a page. I am trying to do it in PS but I can’t seem to get it to print to an HP 6mp printer. I flattened the text layers and tried saving to eps and the printer light blinks but nothing prints. Is there a special way I should be saving the eps format?

Thanks!

Jim

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

ST
Scott T Martin
May 11, 2004
You can print straight from Photoshop but the files are huge (since they are raster). My HP2200DTN takes forever but does eventually print from Photoshop. You could be overloading it’s memory. Try a lower resolution or another application.
AW
Allen_Wicks
May 11, 2004
Should be easy to print it as a .psd file. If it is all black change the mode to grayscale after flattening to make the file even smaller. And even smaller would be to save it as a JPEG, 12 resolution, which should compromise print quality a negligible amount. Those are not very large files to print.

Perhaps there is something else wrong. Do other files still print ok?
P
Phosphor
May 11, 2004
"…And even smaller would be to save it as a JPEG, 12 resolution…"

I sure that Allen meant use a compression value of 12 (Or use "Save For Web" or jump to ImageReady, where that same compression scale runs from 1 to 100). This is the highest value, resulting in the least compression and compression artifacts. The higher the compression value, the larger the file. Preview them side-by-side to find the best compression:quality:/file-size ratio.
JK
John_Kallios
May 11, 2004
Have you maxed out the ram yet?

I have the same printer and the ram is cheap now.
RW
Rene_Walling
May 12, 2004
How about biting the bullet and going with a vector program? (Quark, ID, Illy, Freehand) 😛

BTW, any compression you do will need to be decompressed by the printer, so it may or may not save you time. Besides, if you are printing from PS, doesn’t matter how the file is saved as that is not the data that will be sent to the printer.

You may also want to look into converting the image to bitmap mode at your printer’s resolution.
JG
Jim_Goshorn
May 12, 2004
It’s not an image. All it is is plain text, 4 up on a page. I don’t think the RAM is maxed out in the printer. I also tried saving the file as bitmap at 600ppi to match the printer resolution.

Thanks!

Jim
AW
Allen_Wicks
May 12, 2004
Worst comes to worst just do it recomposed in a Word Processor set to 2 columns, or recomposed in a spreadsheet.
JG
Jim_Goshorn
May 12, 2004
I have come to the conclusion that I will have to do it in Word. My first inclination was to use the flexibility in PS but what can one do… 🙂

Thanks!

Jim
DC
Doug_Cheeseman
May 19, 2004
I have the same printer. It’s sturdy but old workhorse. If the light is flashing it is processing. If I want to output large resolution PS files I leave it going overnight… it’s usually there in the morning.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections