WJ
Posted By
William_Jay
Jan 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am completely struggling trying to get prints to match my image on the screen. I have completely profiled, with spyder ii, and printing to my canon pro 9000, the images are always darker and a little muddier than what I am seeing on the screen. What am I doing wrong, I am going from camera in adobeRGB, working space adobe RGB, letting photosphop determine colors, printer profile working adobeRGB. Then when the printer driver opens I turn the color management to match ICC and set for proper paper. What am I missing or doing wrong????

Thanks SO much for any help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jan 13, 2007
William,

Not being familiar with the Canon drivers, if your process is the same as for an Epson, then I think you want to change the printer profile to the profile of the paper you’re printing to, and since Photoshop is determining the colors you should disable ICC in the print driver color management options. Of course, in the printer driver you will also choose the same paper type there. Hopefully that will resolve your problems.

Regards,

Daryl
M
mm
Jan 13, 2007
William the Canon is a pain to get the CM turned off this how i did it for someone else; I hope that this is the check box we need to tick; Print type NONE is in section 4-2 page 7 of the attached pdf and then print via Print preview in Photoshop.

< http://homepage.mac.com/renard/ls/Canon_ICC_Profile_Guide.pd f>

Malcolm
WJ
William_Jay
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks you guys so much. Where did you find that canon guide Malcolm, I wish that would have come with any of my canon equipment. I will try it that way and see if it helps things any. Also another question, when I profiled my monitor with the spyder, it didnt tell me any direct settings to put on the monitor itself. I read somewhere I should put the contrast level to 100 and the brightness to 75, does this sound correct??

thanks again
William
WJ
William_Jay
Jan 15, 2007
Anyone,,?? Anyone??
WJ
William_Jay
Jan 15, 2007
A couple more questions, do you think its better to "let photoshop determine colors" then try to get the ICC profile for the printer/paper to make it look best and turn off ICC in the print driver? or "let printer determine colors" and then set the printer driver to "ICM, windows" or "match driver" setting?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jan 15, 2007
When you calibrate your monitor, you should have a routine for determining the brightness/contrast settings.

So far as the Canon, this is the routine I have used:

In Photoshop:

Source Space: Adobe RGB
Print Space> Profile: Whatever setting you need according to the paper you are using Intent: try Perceptual

Now over to the printer.

Properties Menu

Media Type: Again, according to what paper you are using

Print Quality: "Custom". Click Set

Move the Quality Slider to Fine, Halftoning either Auto or Diffusion (I use diffusion) Click OK.

Color Adjustment: "Manual".
Click Set
Print Type "None". Notice: The ICM Enable box has to be unchecked Click OK

Back on the Properties Page Click the "Preview Before Printing", OK, Then OK the next screen and sit back and watch. The preview comes up and if it looks ok, (do not judge color or density here, only that the print is properly positioned and not cropped) Click ok again and you should be up and running.

Please note that in the Photoshop dialog portion, Print Space is directing the printer to the proper profile for the paper you are using. The printer manual should have some info here. As I recall the 9000 (I am using the i9900 presently), that printer ships with the BJ 9000 only as it’s selection. You have to obtain profiles for individual papers from the manufacturers of the paper. Ilford provides these for their papers.

If this doesn’t work for whatever reason, revert to "Printer Color Management" in the Print Space profile, Print Quality at "High" for the Print Quality in the Printer Properties Dialog, "Auto" for the Color Adjustment, and I suggest still clicking the "Preview" box as well.

Good Luck!
WJ
William_Jay
Jan 15, 2007
Lawrence, that was the most help I’ve had in this, thanks a million.

Bill
WJ
William_Jay
Jan 16, 2007
Lawrence, I tried that worked like a charm with color prints, almost dead on color and vibrance, just a hint darker than my screen. The B&W ones are still a little darker than the screen and less sharp, almost seems a green overcast to them, but still much better.

Bill
BL
Bill_Lamp
Jan 16, 2007
While I use an Epson 2200 for photo printing, I use a Canon IP3000 for "normal printing.

I tried it a couple of times with Photoshop-CS. I discovered that a heck of a lot of different paper profiles were nicely installed. However, the names are most UN-descriptive and the printer disk didn’t come with any "translation".

I gave up trying, for the heck of it, to see just what it could do.

A different Bill

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections