WB
Posted By
W_Blackburn
May 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
On my layered psd files, lately I have been getting a lot of error messages saying I have disk corruption and/ or a problem with a peripheral cable, upon opening the file, a layer in it will have patterns in it in the cyan, majenta and yellow colors….does this happen to anyone else and what can I do about it? I am in the design business and have been losing some pretty important photoshop documents to this error.

Thank You

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
May 11, 2004
What you can do is check your system for disk problems.

The error MEANS what it says.
NK
Neil_Keller
May 11, 2004
W,

As Chris says. Put on your Sherlock Holmes hat and cape, check and fix your cables, connections and/or hard drive today, before the situation becomes worse. Photoshop is a good test for any computer and its system integrity and can reveal looming hardware problems you may not see using Word.

Neil
WB
W_Blackburn
May 11, 2004
So I should maybe start by replacing all my peripheral cables? I have a G4 which is about 4 or 5 years old…My hard drive is less than 2 years old, I had to get a new hard drive because I was having major errors and bombs, I’m really frustrated with macs at this point. I’m not sure what to do now?
P
progress
May 11, 2004
check your ram…
T
Todie
May 11, 2004
Switch to PC, but tell the PC users who have problems to switch to Mac. …. or if you have car problems, take the bus.
WB
W_Blackburn
May 11, 2004
I would love to switch to a PC especially since I have a husband who builds them :0) However I purchased an expensive bundle of software that is in Mac Format about a year ago, and I do not have the funds to switch everything over to PC format. Then again I dont have the funds to buy a G5 either. :0)
T
Todie
May 11, 2004
If your husband builds PCs, he should be able to fix your Mac. Unlike men and women, PCs and Macs are from the same planet: Earth : )
GB
g_ballard
May 11, 2004
I’m really frustrated with macs at this point.

Macs are not the problem, your Mac is the problem — sorry.

Adobe can switch your licenses over to PC, I recall.

But it almost sounds like your troubleshooting is not so sharp (a new HD for system errors?). You could of added the problem back on…ram or funky system install could also be the problem.

Try this:
<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html> In your case, I would:
<http://www.gballard.net/macrant/meltdown.html>
WB
W_Blackburn
May 11, 2004
Oh I never claimed I was a trouble shooter.
I took it to the place where i bought it and they told me that is what I needed. Its quite frustrating when you dont know what to do or where to go for help.
GB
g_ballard
May 11, 2004
I never claimed I was a trouble shooter

That’s my point 🙂
I am, and I’m here to point you in the right direction…try the meltdown? When that firedrill’s done, we will know if the hardware is bad.
GB
g_ballard
May 11, 2004
Chances are the people in a retail store don’t know what they are talking about. In my experience, "System Bombs" are install related, usually fixed by Initializing Reformatting and reinstalling.

You may be able to install your old HD and use it for scratch, storage (if it is set to Slave and passes a ZeroWrite)…

You can do the meltdown in a couple hours (plus the ZeroWrite time). If it fails there, hand it off to a qualified repair shop — as is.

Are you sure you set the new HD jumper settings to Master? That there are no bent pins?
No apparent cable damage like crimps?
Reseated the connections?
WB
W_Blackburn
May 11, 2004
Thanks for taking the time to help me…I’ll be taking the steps on the links you sent me…..

What does "reseated the connectors" mean?
GB
g_ballard
May 11, 2004
Carefully unplug the ribbon cable from the mainboard and the harddrive.

Inspect the cable for damage (very cheap to replace in any case). I go to an authorized Apple Service provider and buy them from Apple, the ones in the stores here look cheap.

Check the pins on the mainboard and hd for damage.
"Reseat" reconnect the cable carefully when done.

GoodLuck…
WB
W_Blackburn
May 11, 2004
Okay thanks…I’m running "writing zeros"…
Should end in about 6 hours.

Thanks Again
GB
g_ballard
May 11, 2004
about 6 hours

Welcome to the real world 🙂 at least at the end of the day you’ll know if it is hardware or install…let us know how it goes.
GB
g_ballard
May 12, 2004
If you want to loop any tests over night my RAM page
<http://www.gballard.net/macrant/ram.html>

has Gauge Pro (to test RAM)

And Timothy A. Seufert’s Hard–Diskcorruption_test (at the bottom page). This utility, dctest, tests for data corruption on hard disk drive interfaces (such as SCSI, IDE, etc.). It assumes that your CPU and memory and disk are working fine. dctest is mainly intended to test whether data is successfully traveling across the computer’s interface to the disk drive without corruption.

You can up the numbers on dctest so it runs the night…

Both run under OS9.
VD
Vicky_Dudley
May 12, 2004
I am having the same problems with some of my photoshop files corrupting, I have a brand new G5 and sometimes my files open with coloured squares on them with that same message. It’s very moody, the corrupt pixels move and get worse if I close it and open it again. My colleague is having the same problem on his brand new G5 and new cs software. I will try some of this stuff everybodies saying. I can’t be doing with this on a brand new machine and costly brand new software.
PH
Paul_Hokanson
May 12, 2004
Vicky,

Just because its a new computer doesn’t mean it arrived at your doorstep without problems. If test reveal that you are having hardware problems, look at the brightside in knowing that you caught it before it escalated to something much worse.

Once the gremlins are out all should be well.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 12, 2004
The fact that it IS a new computer could well be where your problems lie!

Check ALL cable connections (internal and external) and remove and re-seat all RAM and cards.
A
AaronArmstrong
May 12, 2004
Are you working on the file directly on your harddrive or are you on a networked external drive?

My company had this exact problem for several months using the Lacie Big Disks connected to our G4 X-Serve.

The problem is that Photoshop is not to be used for editing files over a network; because of data transfer rates fluctuating, the file can corrupt very easily while saving, and will not give an error message until the next time you open it.

Move the file to your local drive and try it there.

Aaron
P
Phosphor
May 12, 2004
Any 3rd-party RAM modules, Vicky?

Buy the good stuff, if you don’t buy it from Apple.
NK
Neil_Keller
May 13, 2004
Any RAM you purchase and install should be designed and guaranteed compatible with your Mac. Buy major brand. Do not buy cheap "generic" RAM that may appear to run correctly, but may ultimately behave unpredictably at some point, as it does not meet precise Apple specs for your specific computer. If you’ve just spent $$$$ for a new computer, why should you muck it up trying to save a few bucks on RAM? It’s like putting $25 tires on a Ferrari.

BTW, for the post I saw above in re: odd color pixels that appear to change position, check your video card (improper seating in slot, bad RAM, loose connection to monitor, etc.), particularly if this anomaly doesn’t print.

Neil
CC
Chris_Cox
May 13, 2004
Vickey – that sounds very much like the effect of bad RAM. Although it could still be a bad disk system.
R
Ram
May 13, 2004
Vicky,

Also see posts #42 and 43 in this thread regarding mismatched RAM:

Ramón G Castañeda "Damaged Files – Desperate for Help!" 5/4/04 9:37pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/42>
R
Ram
May 13, 2004
The mismatched RAM issue is indeed a factor sometimes. On my old FrankenMac there was an incompatibility with the ColorVision Spyder software (it would inevitably hang at a certain point in the calibration procedure) and much later I was able to trace it to a single 256MB RAM module that was just different from the other two. What was interesting was that the Spyder hardware puck and the OptiCal software worked just fine if only that one RAM stick was left on the mother board, or if it was removed and the other two put in place. You just couldn’t mix that one module with either or both of the other two, but it worked fine by itself.

I had no clue but developed a hunch after a visual inspection of the RAM sticks, when I noticed one had different inscriptions on it.
CA
Carol_Appleton
Jun 22, 2004
Having the same problem with a new G4 superdrive (purchased from MacMall), running Panther and Adobe CS. Same error messages (disk/cable/termination error).

Apple Support walked us through deleting the system preferences. That fixed the problem for about a week or so. Now, we’re getting the same messages, corruption AND the strange CMYK banding on the layered photoshop files (flat files are fine). Additionally, Illustrator is frequently crashing.

I read that disk errors occur when working over networks, etc (which isn’t the case here). Also, we made sure that CS version cue was turned off . We also ran the OS system disk tools, and things seem to be running more smoothly (for the time being).

FYI: We have an iMac 17" running jaguar and CS with no problems whatsoever. With no record of Illustrator crashes.
P
progress
Jun 22, 2004
just to add something…we just bounced one of our g5’s having this error….tested all the ram chips one by one, cables were checked…apple ended up changing the drive…that didnt solve it either…returned again, this time it looks like it was a processor. (we hope they have actually found it)

Apple needs some better hardware testing tools…the machine has been out of commision for nigh on a month now.
SU
STEALTH_UK
Jun 23, 2004
AHA!
This problem is also being encountered on layered PSD files when saving onto a server… there have been suggestions that is down to the mac network interface. Not alot is being done about it at the moment..

you may not be saving onto a server in which case who knows!?

+S+
MG
Maria_Glidden
Jul 21, 2004
Turns out that it was mismatched RAM. As a promotion, Mac Mall added some extra RAM. It worked with other systems, but not compatible with the G4.
Thanks to everyone
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 21, 2004
Glad you found the cause! (and hopefully solved it 😉

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections