Posted By
frankg
Sep 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Windows XP

Is there a utility to try and repair corrupted Photoshop files? I’ve had a major hard drive debacle, lost everything, and a tech managed to recover many files with a data recovery program (Easy Recovery Pro) but some of the files can now not be opened by PS – an error message pops up saying it isnt a PS document. The utility used to recover the files only has repair tools for MS Office type of documents not psd or tif

=========

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nicholas Sherlock
Sep 27, 2005
frankg wrote:
Is there a utility to try and repair corrupted Photoshop files? I’ve had a major hard drive debacle, lost everything, and a tech managed to recover many files with a data recovery program (Easy Recovery Pro) but some of the files can now not be opened by PS – an error message pops up saying it isnt a PS document. The utility used to recover the files only has repair tools for MS Office type of documents not psd or tif

Before bothering to find a repair tool, open the file in a hex editor, check to see that it isn’t simply filled with zeros (No data remaining).

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock
B
br
Sep 27, 2005
"frankg" wrote in message
Windows XP

=========
Friend had similar problem a few weeks ago… he was able to open most of the files Photoshop refused to open by using Irfanview then use "Save As" http://www.irfanview.com/
E
edjh
Sep 27, 2005
/\BratMan/\ wrote:

Windows XP

=========

Friend had similar problem a few weeks ago… he was able to open most of the files Photoshop refused to open by using Irfanview then use "Save As" http://www.irfanview.com/
Irfanview opens the preview saved with the document, if the document was saved with a preview. Layers and such will not be there. If that’s okay, that’s the way to go.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
F
frankg
Sep 27, 2005

=========
===========

I just installed and ran Irfanview but it cant open the files and there is no preview available (the preview box is checked) . I get an error message saying it cant read the file header. I then looked at the file with the Hex viewer in the File menu and it is full of "numbers" , they arent all zeros. The file size is 120 MB as it’s a 16 bit file. Is there a fix ? ============
T
Tacit
Sep 27, 2005
In article <dhahqi$tde$>,
Nicholas Sherlock wrote:

Before bothering to find a repair tool, open the file in a hex editor, check to see that it isn’t simply filled with zeros (No data remaining).

That does not really help, because a damaged file is more likely to be filled with garbage than with zeroes.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
K
KatWoman
Sep 27, 2005

=========
===========

I just installed and ran Irfanview but it cant open the files and there is no preview available (the preview box is checked) . I get an error message saying it cant read the file header. I then looked at the file with the Hex viewer in the File menu and it is full of "numbers" , they arent all zeros. The file size is 120 MB as it’s a 16 bit file. Is there a fix ? ============
I had a Jaz drive go bad in the early days and though I was able to recover most of the files, all the ones I could not save were the PSD format ones. All the Tiffs were saved (flattened) all the jpgs were OK but not the PSD’s. In some cases I was unable to open them from the CD copies but if I copied them to my comp first, I was then able to open them.
Somehow the files sizes of the PSD’s being larger or maybe the format is more sensitive to corruption, but I had no luck in recovering them.
F
frankg
Sep 27, 2005

=========
Friend had similar problem a few weeks ago… he was able to open most of the files Photoshop refused to open by using Irfanview then use "Save As"
http://www.irfanview.com/
===========

I just installed and ran Irfanview but it cant open the files and there is no preview available (the preview box is checked) . I get an error message saying it cant read the file header. I then looked at the file with the Hex viewer in the File menu and it is full of "numbers" , they arent all zeros. The file size is 120 MB as it’s a 16 bit file. Is there a fix ?
============
I had a Jaz drive go bad in the early days and though I was able to recover most of the files, all the ones I could not save were the PSD format ones. All the Tiffs were saved (flattened) all the jpgs were OK but not the PSD’s. In some cases I was unable to open them from the CD copies but if I copied them to my comp first, I was then able to open them. Somehow the files sizes of the PSD’s being larger or maybe the format is more sensitive to corruption, but I had no luck in recovering them.
==============
yes these are psd files too. And large too as they’re 16bit (around 120mb). there must be a way…..anyone??????
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 27, 2005

[re recovering damaged image files]
yes these are psd files too. And large too as they’re 16bit (around 120mb).
there must be a way…..anyone??????

If you know, or can make a good guess at, the width of the images, you may be able to open them as raw files. This is relatively easy for a simple image, but becomes increasingly more difficult as the number of layers increases.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
F
frankg
Sep 27, 2005
[re recovering damaged image files]

If you know, or can make a good guess at, the width of the images, you may be able to open them as raw files. This is relatively easy for a simple image, but becomes increasingly more difficult as the number of layers increases.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
Sounds like a glimmer of hope – yes I can make a good guesstimate of the wxh size (5590 x 3789px). If I go to the Open As dialog and select RAW as the file type and then chose the psd file I get an error – saying it could not complete my request because of a program error. Is this what you were suggesting ?
DL
Donald Link
Sep 27, 2005
Dumb as a rock!

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:35:25 -0400, "frankg"
wrote:

Windows XP

B
Boskey
Sep 27, 2005

You might try the evaluation programs to see if they are any help. The last one looks promising.
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/psd-files-free.html http://www.e-tech.ca/014-FileRescuePlus.asp
http://www.photoshop-repair.com/
F
frankg
Sep 27, 2005
thanks Jimmy i’ve tried it – no luck

"Jimmy" wrote in message

You might try the evaluation programs to see if they are any help. The last one looks promising.
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/psd-files-free.html http://www.e-tech.ca/014-FileRescuePlus.asp
S
Seawater
Sep 27, 2005
I have no idea whether this will work or not. My guess is that it will not. But it might stimulate some good ideas from others.

It seems to me that there has to be a header of some sort, that tells Photoshop or any other program that this is a file it can open. And that when you get a can’t open message it is because this header got messed up. So it might be worthwhile to try copying the first 500 or so bytes from a good image and paste in the first 500 on one that you have that is messed up.

Windows XP

=========
F
frankg
Sep 27, 2005
I think you’re onto something re the header as I said above – I installed and ran Irfanview (to try and Save As a psd) but it cant open the files and there is no preview available (the preview box is checked) . I get an error message saying it cant read the file header. However I think it’s a long shot to copy/paste "the first 500 or so bytes". How would you do it anyway?

I have no idea whether this will work or not. My guess is that it will not. But it might stimulate some good ideas from others.

It seems to me that there has to be a header of some sort, that tells Photoshop or any other program that this is a file it can open. And that when you get a can’t open message it is because this header got messed up. So it might be worthwhile to try copying the first 500 or so bytes from a good image and paste in the first 500 on one that you have that is messed up.

Windows XP

=========

T
toby
Sep 28, 2005
Seawater wrote:

PSD is too sophisticated for anything this simple to work. See here for a program that is capable of recovering some kinds of corruption: http://www.telegraphics.com.au/svn/psdparse/branches/psdpars e_cj/ (may not work with 16-bit layered files since Adobe has not published their format).

Windows XP

=========
N
noone
Sep 28, 2005
In article <NRg_e.16357$ says…

While I have not had this problem, I quickly bookmarked the URL’s just in case. Thanks for the list, and hope one helps the OP.

Hunt
T
toby
Sep 28, 2005
frankg wrote:
I think you’re onto something re the header as I said above – I installed and ran Irfanview (to try and Save As a psd) but it cant open the files and there is no preview available (the preview box is checked) . I get an error message saying it cant read the file header. However I think it’s a long shot to copy/paste "the first 500 or so bytes". How would you do it anyway?

There is a fixed size header of only 26 bytes only which encodes the following information in BigEndian integers:
signature (4B) = ‘8BPS’
version (2B) (typically = 1)
reserved [6]
channels (2B)
rows (4B)
cols (4B)
depth (2B)
mode (2B)

In the unlikely event that: 1) those 26 bytes are damaged, and 2) you can restore them all to their correct values, and 3) the remainder of the file is undamaged, then you might have a chance. Otherwise, more sophisticated salvaging would be needed. Maybe the tools other people have cited go the extra mile.

The remainder is a complex structure whose layout and contents differs for every file (see source code cited in other post for specifics). In addition, as mentioned, some elements are not publicly documented.

F
frankg
Sep 28, 2005
can you offer any directions or hand holding on how to work with those files – I have no idea. I’m willing to try anything as the files are currently lost to me anyhow

"toby" wrote in message
Seawater wrote:
I have no idea whether this will work or not. My guess is that it will not.
But it might stimulate some good ideas from others.

It seems to me that there has to be a header of some sort, that tells Photoshop or any other program that this is a file it can open. And that when you get a can’t open message it is because this header got messed up.
So it might be worthwhile to try copying the first 500 or so bytes from a good image and paste in the first 500 on one that you have that is messed up.

PSD is too sophisticated for anything this simple to work. See here for a program that is capable of recovering some kinds of corruption: http://www.telegraphics.com.au/svn/psdparse/branches/psdpars e_cj/ (may not work with 16-bit layered files since Adobe has not published their format).

Windows XP

Is there a utility to try and repair corrupted Photoshop files? I’ve had a major hard drive debacle, lost everything, and a tech managed
to recover many files with a data recovery program (Easy Recovery Pro) but some of the files can now not be opened by PS – an error message pops
up saying it isnt a PS document. The utility used to recover the files only has repair tools for MS Office type of documents not psd or tif

=========
T
toby
Sep 28, 2005
frankg wrote:
can you offer any directions or hand holding on how to work with those files – I have no idea. I’m willing to try anything as the files are currently lost to me anyhow

I suggest you pursue the above cited recovery programs (at least the trial versions of each) – I have a hunch they will vary wildly in quality; and you may perhaps send me, or make available for download, the smaller of your damaged files and I can see what can be figured out about the type of damage. Perhaps my PSD utility will be able to recover some layers.

–Toby
F
frankg
Sep 28, 2005
tried 3 programs no luck (apsr seemed the most pro, but…..)

120mb file/s probably too big to upload/download

"toby" wrote in message
frankg wrote:

I suggest you pursue the above cited recovery programs (at least the trial versions of each) – I have a hunch they will vary wildly in quality; and you may perhaps send me, or make available for download, the smaller of your damaged files and I can see what can be figured out about the type of damage. Perhaps my PSD utility will be able to recover some layers.

–Toby
T
Tacit
Sep 28, 2005
In article <HNn_e.5957$>,
"frankg" wrote:

My suspicion is that the files are beyond recovery. Sorry.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 28, 2005
Put one of your images on a server and I’ll give it a shot. You have one that is less than 10 megs, email it to . WinZip,
or zip if you have XP, may reduce the size substantially. —
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

"toby" wrote in message
frankg wrote:

–Toby

F
frankg
Sep 28, 2005
Thanks for the offer – much appreciated. I wouldnt know where to put a 120mb file. But anyway I’m resigned to having lost the files and have started over again from square one

"Mike Russell" wrote in message
Put one of your images on a server and I’ll give it a shot. You have one that is less than 10 megs, email it to . WinZip,
or zip if you have XP, may reduce the size substantially. —
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

"toby" wrote in message
frankg wrote:

–Toby

T
toby
Sep 29, 2005
frankg wrote:
Thanks for the offer – much appreciated. I wouldnt know where to put a 120mb file.

How large was it when Zip’d?

But anyway I’m resigned to having lost the files and have started over again from square one
H
Hecate
Sep 30, 2005
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:35:25 -0400, "frankg"
wrote:

Windows XP

Unlikely. Someone like Ontrack Data may be able to recover the files for a large fee though.

I guess your tech must have plenty of time on his hands as he obviously hasn’t spent any time making sure your company’s files are backed up…

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections