Loading and saving individual layers – font preview.

DM
Posted By
David_Mac
May 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a refugee from Corel Photo Paint and PC – now using Photo Shop CS and Power Mac. Having now become accustomed to PS’s rather different mindset and methodology I love it! Although there are oodles of new things I can do in PS there are, inevitably, some things I miss as well.

I work constantly on images created by loading layers into images from a library of selections extracted from images and saved to file.

One thing I have been unable to find in PS is the ability to load or save individual layers in an image. There are simple enough work arounds in a few actions, so this is not critical, just mildly frustrating. I wondered if I was missing something obvious here. Is there an option I am missing in the Open, Save, Import, or Export dialogues that would let me do this directly?

The other thing is that I can find no way of pre-viewing fonts, without opening a separate pre-view program. In a program of PS’s sophistication I find this not a little surprising. Am I missing something glaringly and embarrassingly obvious here or is the assumption that PS users are of such incomparable competence that they carry their fonts in their heads with no need of such plebian aids? ;^))

This my first post to this forum. I am not yet sure of it’s etiquette. If I should have posted these questions as separate topics then please forgive me.

David Mac

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
May 8, 2004
The font thing may simply be that Photoshop was not originally intended as a typographic tool and hence it’s abilities to preview fonts or type faces are not inherent in its structure. This is also missing in AI CS. However it might become a future feature as the role of Photoshop and the Creative Suite is evolved.

The preview feature I am referring to is that if you enter text in a document and highlight that text and then scroll through the font list the highlighted text will update in real time as you scroll. It is a feature request made many times for AI as well.

As far as layers being saved and loaded individually I think that would have been a more important feature to have than many of the new features in PS CS. Such as the over done and cumbersome file browser and presets manager.
DM
David_Mac
May 8, 2004
Yes – your font suggestions make perfect sense – both the possible history and the real time update. I’d settle even for the simple PP preview window next to the drop down.

Nice to hear you feel the same way about loading and saving layers. It’s a simple feature I really miss.

David Mac

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections