Posted By
George_Masi
Aug 20, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I noticed yesterday that I can no longer save layered .psd files to any folder. What does get saved is only a generic file symbol.

I’m using a Dell 8200 computer, 1GB of RAM, IntelPentium4 processer, Windows XP Professional,and a Canon MP780 multiple function printer.

Please help.

Thanks,
George Masi

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Aug 20, 2008
Try trashing/resetting Preferences as per the FAQs.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.ef4a07f/1?14@@>
DM
Don_McCahill
Aug 20, 2008
Is it saved incorrectly, or is the problem just that the icon is the generic one. In other words, can you A) click to open the file from the desktop. And, b) if you can’t click from the desktop, can you open the file from within Photoshop, and see the layers correctly.

If B works, and A does not, then this means your Windows has lost the association between PSD files and Photoshop. You can often correct this by right clicking the file, and choosing Open With, with the Always open with this program field checked. There is also a way to set the icons back up, but this is more complicated.
GM
George_Masi
Aug 21, 2008
My thanks to Ed hannigan and Don McCahill for your help.

The problem seems to have ceased as mysteriously as it appeared.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections