AM
Posted By
Al_Millstein
Oct 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m shopping for a new computer (Under $700; no monitor needed). I’m offering an opportunity for all of you geeks to pour your hearts out on where to go, what brand to buy,and what features to include. I’m operating on a dangerously limited amount of knowledge.

I want capability to expand my PSE and other graphics functionality. I’m thinking 512 memory; 2+ gig processor; CD burner and DVD(?burner?).
I’ve read some stuff about Celeron vs Pentium IV; it’s a cost issue, and most writers seem to say a 2+ gig Celeron is fine.

I need a support system. In past purchase, I went COMPUSA and popped for a 3 year extended service contract, which worked very well; when I had problems, I took it in and they fixed it, or when I added memory or changed to XP, they installed it (I have trepidation about opening the box myself.) The extended service, of course is about another 200 bucks or so.

Dell was suggested, but I hesitate over mail-order where I can’t walk in and scream at them. Besides, picking out my custom-tailored features makes me worry about leaving out something important.

My past experience is if you buy a Compaq or HP, they throw in the essentials, a lot of extras like QuickLink, Media Play, MS Works, and an assortment of useful software, maybe even a free little printer.

Would like to be reasonably prepared for all the new stuff that keeps coming out, like movies, etc., although my grandkids have recently aged and graduated into having their own computers.

OK guys – go at it.

Al

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LK
Leen_Koper
Oct 8, 2003
Although I ‘m not an expert at all, from experience I learned that at least doubling the memory will make you feel much more comfortable.
BTW, if you buy a DVD burner, you usually can burn CDs with it as well.

My advice, buy next door, although you don’t have to scream at these people.

Leen
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 8, 2003
Have you considered a Mac? You can get an eMac with everything including the monitor for under $900.
If you buy from one of the stores like I did, I have unlimited phone tech support, and they usually throw in a nice hunk of memory or a free printer.
Jane
DP
Donald_Pike
Oct 8, 2003
Well, you could check with your grand kids for advice.

I bought my first Dell machine 8 years ago by calling and talking to a sales rep to be sure I got what I wanted/needed, then ordered later. The next 3 Dells I have purchased on-line with no problem. I’ve had a couple of occasions to call for help, but never felt the need to yell. Dell’s service is really as good as the reviewers say it is.

By the way, you say you do not need a monitor. That probably means you have one left over from another system. If you are planning to do photo-manipulation you should really consider getting a new monitor too, nothing smaller than a seventeen inch viewing area.
WB
W_Bobrowski
Oct 8, 2003
Forget the Celeron, but DO consider AMD chip for Pentium-comparable performance (you cannot directly compare AMD GHz to Pentium GHz). Also, I highly recommend that you consider building it yourself. It’s very easy (Ok, not like washing your hands) but you can control the costs plus you will be able to upgrade components as funds and needs permit. A local independant computer store can assist you. Start with <http://www.motherboards.com> and compare features. Match with an appropriate CPU. Local shop can also probably build you a nice system for $700. Check their specials.

Motherboard with at least 400 MHz FSB (front side bus..probably as or more important than CPU). Bascially the ‘traffic cop’ which controls the ‘speed’ of the data. Get CPU that supports the FSB of the Motherboard.

DDR (double data rate) Memory, at least 512MB.

Check out the ATI 9800 Graphics card (do not go with motherboards with ‘on-board’ graphics chips…less expensive but you’ll take a hit on performance). Of course, the card alone is about ~$500.

Check out the newest DVD writers that support ALL (or most) DVD formats: -R/RW +R/RW & RAM. Check <http://www.pcworld.com> for latest DVD burner reviews.

Have fun!

IMHO

Walt
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 8, 2003
Al, if you’re the kind of person who needs a good support system, find the reliable computer shop in your neighborhood, like Leen suggests. Focus your money on the the hard core guts of the computer – mobo, processor, video card, and a case with a good fan! (Those big processors get hot.) These are the things that will keep it viable for a few years. Hard drives can be replaced easily and inexpensively, and RAM prices are very low, but still get all you can afford at first. Just make sure that whatever you get has as much capacity for expansion as possible, including a case with room for multiple hard drives.

My son built a computer for my husband about two years ago. I really had fun shopping for the parts!

I prefer Macs, and I’ve kept my desktop going for almost five years now because it was very upgradeable when purchased. Of course, I’m the one who’ll litter the den with its guts, too. 🙂
AM
Al_Millstein
Oct 8, 2003

W. Bobrowski wrote:

"Local shop can also probably build you a nice system for $700. Check their specials."

Walt –

Are you familiar with Computer Builder’s Warehouse? Any opinion?

Al
PD
Pete_D
Oct 8, 2003
If I were buying my "must have" list would include (but not limited to);

Intel P4 nothing else. And I mean …nothing else! Until there is a P5 DVD RW
1 ghz RAM ….or if RD RAM at least 512 and the capability to add up to 2 gb

I know three people that have no name put togethers; One did his own and says he will NEVER do it again even though he has had only a few problems that he resolved. The other two are very dissatisfied. (by this I mean they have had a lot of problems with no resolution).

I think Dell could probably put the system you need together for that price you want and also think you could find and HP that would fit the bill.

Pete
WB
W_Bobrowski
Oct 8, 2003
Al, no, haven’t heard of Computer Builder’s Warehouse. Sounds like a ‘do it yourself’ shop. Another piece of advice: know the components, read lots of reviews and compare specs. Even at a local shop, or for do-it-yourselfers, don’t simply take what is being offered. Make some notes and do some web researching. It will pay off. Even if one chooses not to go it alone, at least one gains an understanding of components and when you look at total systems,you will begin to understand what constitutes a good value and what is a rip off. Not meaning to suggest one place is better than another or to advertise, but the local shop where I put my system together is: <http://www.sky-pro.net/>. They’ve had the best prices in my area.

Best regards,
Walt
JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Oct 8, 2003
Reading this thread brings back bad memories. I spent three years selling Gateways and trying to make people get past the dollar mark. You need to get the equipment you need first, then the stuff you’d like. It’s going to cost what it costs. I’m just afraid that sub-$700 isn’t going to get you alot.

Depending on the age of your monitor, you may want or need to replace it. If it’s over 5 years old, buy a new one. The add-on cost is less than if you have to replace it down the road. I personally wouldn’t use anything less than 19" but that’s me.

I strongly recommend a separate grachics card. Integrated graphics are junk. (I can deal with integrated sound.) Stay away from Celeron – that’s for senior citizens who want a computer to email the family and very young children.

DVD burners are okay but unless you *really* need it or it adds very little to the cost, forget it. CD burners are manditory since you have PSE. You want some way to store your work without taking up hard disk space.

Get the extended warranty – it’s worth the cost if just one thing goes wrong.

Also – if you want Office, make sure you tell the salesperson what programs specifically you want. I had too many people b***h because the needed Excel but they never said word one to me.

(And by the way……….those free printers are not worth the price you pay. They are low-end disposible that are only meant for printing out emails.)

wrote in message
I’m shopping for a new computer (Under $700; no monitor needed). I’m
offering an opportunity for all of you geeks to pour your hearts out on where to go, what brand to buy,and what features to include. I’m operating on a dangerously limited amount of knowledge.
I want capability to expand my PSE and other graphics functionality. I’m
thinking 512 memory; 2+ gig processor; CD burner and DVD(?burner?).
I’ve read some stuff about Celeron vs Pentium IV; it’s a cost issue, and
most writers seem to say a 2+ gig Celeron is fine.
I need a support system. In past purchase, I went COMPUSA and popped for a
3 year extended service contract, which worked very well; when I had problems, I took it in and they fixed it, or when I added memory or changed to XP, they installed it (I have trepidation about opening the box myself.) The extended service, of course is about another 200 bucks or so.
Dell was suggested, but I hesitate over mail-order where I can’t walk in
and scream at them. Besides, picking out my custom-tailored features makes me worry about leaving out something important.
My past experience is if you buy a Compaq or HP, they throw in the
essentials, a lot of extras like QuickLink, Media Play, MS Works, and an assortment of useful software, maybe even a free little printer.
Would like to be reasonably prepared for all the new stuff that keeps
coming out, like movies, etc., although my grandkids have recently aged and graduated into having their own computers.
OK guys – go at it.

Al
FG
florida_guy
Oct 8, 2003
I’m a software developer who works in an environment surrounded by computer professionals. PC Support, Developers, Network/WAN people.

All discussion of buying a computer begins and ends with Dell.

I just bought a Dell myself about a month ago. I am quite pleased with it.

Weigh this information with the advice you receive from others.

What I can’t give you information on is Dell lower priced models and you need to call them to find out if you can buy one that doesn’t include a monitor.
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 8, 2003
Yes you can, I did a couple of months ago. An "allowance" is subtracted from the price if you don’t want the monitor.
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 8, 2003
I helped a neighbor buy a Dell, I showed her how to do most everything with it, and she loves the machine.
But I prefer a Mac. Same thing, her husband loves Chevy pickups, and my husband loves his Ford F-150s.
So whatever you get, you will like it and be able to run the best Adobe stuff, and use the best Unleaded fuel(or amps and volts). So go for whatever you want and it will serve you well. Just be aware what stuff you
get included, and what your tech support will be.
Jane
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 9, 2003
F-150’s rock!

🙂
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Oct 9, 2003
I bought my son a $700 Dell with a Celeron. It works okay for his CD ROMs and it runs elements okay, but I have not given it a thorough wringing out. It has a nice CD burner in the second bay – great for making archival copies.

I would definitely vote for the eMac. Nice 17" CRT, CD burner, runs elements like a champ. Might need to upgrade RAM (256 MB base?)

It seems like, whatever you get, you will want something faster and better within 3 – 4 years.

Chevy Avalanche Rules!

Steve
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 9, 2003
As long as others have already suggested it ( 😉 ), I’d vote for the eMac as well. My mom just bought one a couple of months ago and it’s a very nice machine.

DVD burners are okay but unless you *really* need it or it adds very little to the cost, forget it. CD burners are manditory since you have PSE. You want some way to store your work without taking up hard disk space.

I used to think that as well, until I recently upgraded my Mac by putting in a new Superdrive (Pioneer DVD burner). It’s so nice being able to back up all my digital images onto one or two disk. I love this burner and now only use my CD burner to burn audio disks.

Joe
AM
Al_Millstein
Oct 9, 2003
OK, Folks. Here’s what I did. Called Dell. Gave them all the stuff recommended by Forum folks. Got a quote for the package of $1,298. When I said let me think about it, they said buy it right now for $898 after rebates, including a 17 inch flat screen Monitor, and four years of Dell In-home service. See the list below. So if you figure the service is worth a couple of hundred bucks, I think I got a great deal for my $700. I took it. What do you think?

1. Dimension 2400 Series, Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.20GHz Qty: 1 Unit Price: $1,058.00
[462-4145] Dimension 2400 Series, Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.20GHz
[311-2076] 512MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz
[310-1582] Dell Quiet Key Keyboard
[462-5141] Monitor shipping separately
[430-3900] Integrated Intel 3D AGP Graphics
[340-6959] Module,Hard Drive,40GB, 40GB Value Hard Drive
[340-8688] No Floppy Drive Requested
[420-1921] Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition,Service Pack 1,English
[313-7222] Dell Application Back-up CD, Factory Install
[412-0409] Generic Dimension Dell Support
[310-1871] Dell 2-button Scroll Mouse
[430-0441] Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
[313-1313] 56K PCI Data Fax Modem for Windows
[313-2224] 4X DVD+R/RW CD-RW Combination Drive
[430-0461] Cyberlink Software Decoding for DVD Drives
[313-0847] Integrated ADI 1885 Audio
[313-1874] Altec Lansing ADA215 Speakers
[412-0547] NETWORK ASSOCIATES MCAFEE.COM,OEM,ENGLISH, 90 DAY TRIAL,FACTORY INSTALLED
[412-0298] MusicMatch 7.1x Basic
[412-0271] Dell Picture Studio Image Expert Standard,Dimension
[412-0273] Dell Picture Studio Paint ShopPro Try and Buy,Dimension
[412-0441] AOL 8.0 DHS
[420-3224] Broadband Icon for Inspiron
[412-0380] Real Network RealOne Player Basic,Version 6,US English
[412-0395] Word Perfect Productivity Pack
[412-0396] Quicken New User Edition 2002
[412-0397] Britannica 2003
[950-7447] 4 Year Limited Warranty
[950-7990] Type 3- Third Party At Home Service, 24×7 Technical Support, Initial Year
[950-7993] Type 3- Third Party At Home Service, 24×7 Technical Support, 3 Year Extended
[412-0360] Soft Contracts – Banctec
[970-0897] $60 MAIL-IN SERVICE REBATE 42105. Redeem within 30 days of ship at dell4me.com/rebates
[462-0984] Informational Only – High Speed Internet Billed Seperately
[462-5092] $100 MAIL-IN REBATE! 42102 Redeem your rebate after purchase at dell4me.com/ rebates

Subtotal: $1,058.00
Shipping: $99.00
Tax: $18.78
Total: $1,175.78
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 9, 2003
Well, you’re gonna have FUN, Al! Not what I would have gotten (keep in mind I like Mac towers!), but it looks great. And it’s sure a few staircases higher than what you’ve been using. Enjoy! 🙂

Oh, can you add more memory? 512 sounds like a lot, but today’s applications really like to suck it up.
WB
W_Bobrowski
Oct 9, 2003
Al, you’re going to have fun. Looks like a good deal. Keep us posted on after sales service! Watch that ‘integrated graphics chip’, though. It may cause video performance problems, but not necessarily with PSE (depending on what you’re doing and any graphics intensive plugins you may add). 512MB memory will be fine, but you can always use more, particularly for multitasking, and especially if multiple users are logged onto WinXP. That 40GB HD will probably come with ~10-15GB already used up with pre-installed software. You’ll eventually want to add another 40GB. Consider a simple (but pricey) external USB HD.

Walt
SC
s_cantrell
Oct 9, 2003
Al, I am on my 3rd Compag. Pd $1200 March 2002 (storm insurance bought me the new XP. the old win 95 got full of water, dried out & still works), got most of what you did, but 80G hd, Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 2.4GHz, super JBL speakers really rock, got floppy because of Sony mavica dig cam ( I do a LOT of photos), hate CD burner(way too slow), have NO use for DVD.
Bought separate Zip, plugs in front & I can move over to old PC. XP os uses eeeenormus amount of memory & not compatible to old Win 95 PC.
Beth, "512 sounds like a lot"… is there something larger? I may have 2 browser windows open with PSE1, 2 or 3 emails & coffeecup web editor & do fine.
I can’t figger’ out how & what "task manager" has 41 processes going…??? sure looks to be alotaa bytes.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Oct 10, 2003
Al,Good luck with your new DELL computer. I have a DELL 8200 which has not required service in approx. 2 years. My neighbor has one which needed a new hard drive and they sent a tech out to the house promptly to install it. My experience with them has been A-1, and they sent the rebate in a timely manner after I downloaded the form from their site and submitted it.
Ken
LM
Lou_M
Oct 11, 2003
Al,

OH MY GOSH YOU DIDN’T GET A FLOPPY DRIVE???!!!!

(just kidding)

You’d be lucky if you could store a single photo on it.

Good luck with your machine. It should be plenty fast. Expect to get a lot of spam from those rebates, though.
AM
Al_Millstein
Oct 11, 2003
Actuallly, Lou the subject never came up in my discussion with the sales person. I didn’t know there was any such thing as a computer without an A – drive, but they make it optional, not standard. I was shocked when I noticed it missing in the e-mail confirmation they sent me.

I immediately called back and added it for another $20.

You’re pretty sharp, catching that omission.

Al
WB
W_Bobrowski
Oct 11, 2003
Al, you DID get a tower configuration with 5-6 PCI slots for additional upgrade cards, didn’t you? Walt
AM
Al_Millstein
Oct 11, 2003
Walt-

If you say it’s important, I hope so. As I said in my original post, "I’m operating on a dangerously limited amount of knowledge."

I also said, regarding mail-order "Besides, picking out my custom-tailored features makes me worry about leaving out something important."

I’ve never seen the inside of a computer box, and still would be scared to open it up, fearful it will explode like a booby trap, or hit me with a bolt of lightning.

Al

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections