JR
Posted By
J_Rindfuss
Apr 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m running Photoshop 5.0 in the Classic environment of Mac OS x.2.8. Recently I’ve been having trouble with saving and opening JPG images. I cannot open ANY JPG image .. I get the error "could not open because of an error with the Macintosh Code Fragment Manager". Sometimes I can save as a JPG, but this comes and go. I can never save it with the third party BOXTOP JPG plugin .. get same error. Just recently, it won’t allow me to save with the normal JPG option within the program … the JPG option is shaded out. By the way, these errors occur in both the Classic environment, as well as within 9.2.

I consider myself a sefl-taught, mediate skill level user of Photoshop. I’m really stumped! Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Jill

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Apr 21, 2004
First things that come to mind.

bad prefs.

corrupt system 9

corrupt photoshop.

you would really be better of getting a version that runs native in OSX
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Apr 21, 2004
Is the OS9 system from which you boot the same one used for Classic?

If I saw that error (though I’m not positive that this is the solution in your case) I’d boot into OS 9 and install the latest QuickTime version available for that OS. I forget right at this moment but isn’t there a Software Update Control Panel? If so, use that. I’ve even gone so far as to run a search for QuickTime components and trash them all just prior to a re-install.

WARNING! Don’t trash any QuickTime components or files in OS X as you won’t be able to boot up your system without them. Heh…I made that mistake back in 10.0 and was momentarily nonplussed although reinstalling QT eliminated the issue and I was back up and running.
R
Ram
Apr 21, 2004
What Buko and Welles say; but also make sure you update to Mac OS 9.2.2 and Photoshop 5.0.2.
TR
T_R3
Apr 21, 2004
I have the same problem, but just when I move my images into a PC, on my comp. they are fine. I’m running a MacOSX 2.8 and Photoshop 7. I have all the updates. Is it some time of bug?
B
Buko
Apr 21, 2004
do they have the .jpg extension??
TR
T_R3
Apr 21, 2004
yes.. on the info thing it says "photoshop jpg", the just "jpg" files i bulked into a pc worked.. same thing with gifs though
R
Ram
Apr 21, 2004
… on the info thing it says "photoshop jpg",

Forget about the Get Info data for now. PCs need to see the ".jpg" extension appended to the file name itself. Are all your files named this way?
TR
T_R3
Apr 21, 2004
yes, it does have the extension. The files where transfered through bluetooth, don’t know if that’s part of the problem. I have worked like that many other times and everything has gone O.K. ’til today
JR
J_Rindfuss
Apr 22, 2004
THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

I have been dealing with this problem since JANUARY!! It has added hours and hours onto my job and thanks to all of you it’s been corrected!

I updated Photoshop to 5.0.2, updated QuickTime 6.0.3 to the most recent version and that still did not help. I ended up using my Restore disk that came with OSX to restore the 9.0 operating system. That, along with the other updates seemed to do the trick!

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! Jill

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections