N
Posted By
nytrashman7618
Nov 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I must be doing something wrong. sometimes the red eye brush tool works and sometimes it doesn’t work. can someone please tell me the proper way to get rid of red eye in a photo.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 11, 2003
Do you mean that literally – sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t? Or do you mean that it seems to be more effective on some images than on others?

If you mean it literally does not work sometimes, try deleting the Preference folder. That’s the one where you have to do a search for both the Preference folder and a .plist file. I can’t remember where they are in OS X, though. Sorry.

If you mean that it seems to be more effective on some images than on others, you might need to change your technique. There was a very recent thread on using this tool. Some people have found good ways to deal with red eye through methods other than the red eye tool in Elements. Do a forum search for ‘red eye’ and I think you’ll turn up quite a few options. What one person is very comfortable doing seems clunky to somebody else. You can read the various posts and see if you find something you like.
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 11, 2003
George,

When the tool doesn’t work is it possible that you are working on a different layer? As far as I know that is the only thing that would make it not work.

Jim
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 11, 2003
Good catch, Jim. I forgot about that little detail – as I often do when editing my own images, too. Duh.
N
nytrashman7618
Nov 11, 2003
what I meant when I said sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t is it only works on the red part of the eye (red eye tool……duh) but on some pics the eye isn’t completely red. perhaps I should try changing the eye color using the brush tool. I will do a search on the forum and see what I can come up with.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 11, 2003
Yes, using a brush and a color and setting the brush opacity to something far less than 100% would be a good way to control the intensity of the change. That’s one of the techniques people do use. Those of us who photograph our dogs usually have to use a method similar to this, because their eyes often come out a strange shade of yellow.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Nov 12, 2003
Yup, zoomer painter here.
N
nytrashman7618
Nov 12, 2003
did a search of the forum and got a few ideas but so far nothing that has given me the results I want. my last try ended up making my grandson (4yr old) look like the "devil child", which when I think about it isn’t all that far from the truth……LOL. guess I will just have to keep trying differant things until I hit on something that works. any additional advice/ideas would be appreciated.
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 12, 2003
George, I have the same problem with the TOOL. Some red eye fixable and some aren’t (for me). I gave up on the tool. I have been selecting the pupil with my selection brush then going to the layer menu and selecting add adjustment layer and picking hue/saturation. I then used the levers to max out hue; min out saturation…sometimes this is enough…sometimes I go to red section and min out reds…sometimes I still have to go back to master and lower that lever down a touch. Ever so often I end up applying a little burn or using some black paint. What I am saying is you are going to have to improve a little on some photos. I like the selection hue/saturation method {evenif on occassion I apply in twice to get it right)best because I get a nice clean edge on the pupil and I keep that little reflective light in the eye. To me it’s just cleaner and easier. Oh yeah, if I get a little out of bounds I’ll use the clone tool to knock out any stray red. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Terri
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 12, 2003
I have had trouble sometimes with our dog’s eyes, so I zoom way way in, and work with the clone tool or just paint the color in, and usually it comes out pretty well. Sometimes I ruin the highlights and the reflection, so have to go back and zoom in and give it another try. With a bit of practise on several copies, you can make it look quite good. Try several times using different colors and methods. It is fun but took me a bit of time to get one right.
Jane
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 12, 2003
Jane I found a tutorial with a technique by Mikkel Asland. It gave the way your doing it and another that incorporated using a glass layer style. I thought you might want to try it out.

1. Magnify and zoom in on dog eyes
2. Make a selection of the white areas of eye (dog eye)
3. Make a new layer
4. With new layer active, fill your two selections with black– or any clolor. (Edit>Fill or use paint bucket tool).
5. In layers styles palette select glass buttons from pop-up menu.
6. Choose the glass color. You can change the color later.

He claims it will make the eyes look more realistic than straight out filling them. He says to change the color (that you just did with glass button) 1. Flatten your layers (layer>Flatten image. 2. Select red eye tool. select replacement color. 3. Click on are to change color and paint. I haven’t tried this technique out yet but I figure it must be pretty good advice since it comes from Aaland.
K
Ken
Nov 12, 2003
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:43:45 -0800, "George S. Forman" wrote:

I must be doing something wrong. sometimes the red eye brush tool works and sometimes it doesn’t work. can someone please tell me the proper way to get rid of red eye in a photo.

Here’s a quick procedure that I came up with that gives good results:

1. Select the pupil using either the Lasso or Magic Wand tool (If Magic Wand was used, right-click and use "Grow" if necessary to select a slightly larger area)

2. Right-click and select "Feather". Set "Radius" to 1 pixel, then "OK".

3. From the main menu select "Enhance" – "Adjust Color" – "Hue/Saturation"

4. Move the "Saturation" slider to left to desaturate color.

5. Move the "Lightness" slider to the left until desired result is obtained.
R
rwhalls
Nov 22, 2003
In PhotoElements 2 my red ey tool doesn’t work. However, there is a procedure in PhotoDeluxe Bus.Ed 1 that works just fine.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 22, 2003
Actually the red eye tool does work, but it’s certainly not as quick and simple as what was found in earlier versions of software Adobe made for home users. A lot of people scrounge up an old tool and are very happy, and that’s a good thing. Unfortunately, not all of that old software works on the newest operating systems.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections