Posted By
Joe_leMonnier
Apr 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop CS, lots of RAM

I am making some polygon vignettes of a rasterized Illustrator file at 350 dpi and can’t seem to get rid of the banding at the edges. Since the image is fairly flat, it is especially noticable .

Within Illustrator, I can get it to work pretty well using opacity masks but my client is on an earlier version that does not support this wonderful feature. So, I turn to photoshop (again) .

Thus far I’ve tried making layer masks and blurring them, adding a feathered "hole" on a layer above the image and even using a little noise on the layer mask. This last solution of adding noise produces a pattern in the knocked out regions that needs to be masked itself. All in all it seems like I am missing something here very basic, right?

Can anyone help?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

T
Todie
Apr 19, 2004
16 bit per channel might help (if you make the vignette from scratch in Photoshop), finer line screen and higher imagesetter resolution.

I think that Illustrator introduces its own noise to gradations but I’m not sure.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 19, 2004
Banding normally means that you’re seeing sharp edges — so adding a small amount of noise can help.

Blurring can actually make the banding worse by creating new sharp edges due to quantization of your display and output device — sometimes 8 bits/channel just isn’t enough.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections