Anyone using project management software @ work?

S
Posted By
Smurfy
Jan 19, 2009
Views
217
Replies
3
Status
Closed
Hey,

Our design company is looking to structure itself better. After using excel-based timesheets for 15 years (ugh), we’re looking to switch to an intranet-based project management system to track projects’ evolution, hours invested, company billing, etc. Or rather, a bunch of us in management are looking to convince the higher-ups that this is now necessary.

Basically, we’re looking to adopt a system like Jira
(http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/) or Fogbugz
(http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/).

So I was wondering if there was either :

1) A well-recognized industry leader in project management software (like WordPress is to blogs)

2) Or, alternatively, a Graphic Design-specific project management system

Either of the two would certainly re-assure my superiors enough to go ahead with the idea. Being able to do all our billing with the same software would also be a tremendous plus.

Thanks!

Powered by Creative Market

JJ
John J
Jan 19, 2009
Adam wrote:
Hey,

Our design company is looking to structure itself better. After using excel-based timesheets for 15 years (ugh), we’re looking to switch to an intranet-based project management system to track projects’ evolution, hours invested, company billing, etc. Or rather, a bunch of us in management are looking to convince the higher-ups that this is now necessary.

Then what you want is a genuine Material Requirements Planning (MRP,MRPII) system in conjunction with a Critical Path Precedence Modeling system (as you imagine it with visual charts (Gant), to show the chain of dependencies over a project’s lifetime.

Or continue with the Mickey Mouse amateur crap you point to.

Either of the two would certainly re-assure my superiors enough to go ahead with the idea. Being able to do all our billing with the same software would also be a tremendous plus.

Your superiors are not likely smart enough or motivated enough to consider a real solution because they have not come up with the same to date.


JJ with decades of experience in MRPII
NR
Nucular Reaction
Jan 19, 2009
On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 08:22:48 -0600, John J wrote:

Adam wrote:
Hey,

Our design company is looking to structure itself better. After using excel-based timesheets for 15 years (ugh), we’re looking to switch to an intranet-based project management system to track projects’ evolution, hours invested, company billing, etc. Or rather, a bunch of us in management are looking to convince the higher-ups that this is now necessary.

Then what you want is a genuine Material Requirements Planning (MRP,MRPII) system in conjunction with a Critical Path Precedence Modeling system (as you imagine it with visual charts (Gant), to show the chain of dependencies over a project’s lifetime.

Or continue with the Mickey Mouse amateur crap you point to.

Apparently you think that insulting the listener will make you sound powerful, right?

Either of the two would certainly re-assure my superiors enough to go ahead with the idea. Being able to do all our billing with the same software would also be a tremendous plus.

Your superiors are not likely smart enough or motivated enough to consider a real solution because they have not come up with the same to date.

….and insulting the listener’s superiors has to make you even more powerful, right?


JJ with decades of experience in MRPII

How did you get decades of experience in anything when you have the mindset and attitude of an adolescent? More likely, you have decades of experience being ignored because you’re bascically an asshole.
JJ
John J
Jan 19, 2009
Nucular Reaction wrote:

How did you get decades of experience in anything when you have the mindset and attitude of an adolescent? More likely, you have decades of experience being ignored because you’re bascically an asshole.

Nah. I just resent amateur management.

If you use Adobe products, you might want to look into their server-based version and data management system.

Powered by Creative Market

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections