CP
Posted By
Cleveland_Park
Jun 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I currently use Adobe Type Manager 4.1 Deluxe, but I’m not always happy with it’s functionality. I’d appreciate any feedback about other font management software.

Thank you.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
BobLevine
Jun 12, 2004
What aren’t you happy with? And you might want to visit the ATM/Type forum for better feedback.

Bob
T
ttp328
Jun 12, 2004
I have been happy Printers Apprentice from www.loseyourmind.com. Allows for catalog printing of fonts and your own text examples in different fonts.
Toby
wrote in message
I currently use Adobe Type Manager 4.1 Deluxe, but I’m not always happy
with it’s functionality. I’d appreciate any feedback about other font management software.
Thank you.
L
Lucky13
Jun 12, 2004
BO
Burton_Ogden
Jun 12, 2004
Bob,

What aren’t you happy with?

What’s not to be unhappy with? Adobe Type Manager 4.1 Deluxe for Windows is essentially unsupported and abandoned by Adobe. Apparently software development on it ceased years ago. It doesn’t support OpenType or even Adobe’s own MultiMaster fonts. It doesn’t auto-activate fonts. As contemporary font management software it borders on worthless.

Check the download file sizes of the Windows and the Apple versions of Adobe Type Manager. The Windows version is not much better than the free Lite version and that is borne out by the file sizes. Compare the Windows version against the Apple version and note how much better the Apple version is.

— Burton —
BO
Burton_Ogden
Jun 12, 2004
Cleveland,

Font Reserve is pretty good, with support for OpenType and Multimaster as well as TrueType and PostScript (via ATM Lite). Unfortunately Extensis gobbled it up and now you can’t download the version that manages 100 fonts or less but is otherwise fully functional.

Extensis claims they will marry the best features of SuitCase and Font Reserve in their next generation font manager, whenever that will be. In my opinion Font Reserve is better than SuitCase. I am using the free 100-font version of Font Reserve, which I downloaded before Extensis acquired Font Reserve. I have lots more than 100 fonts on my system, but only 100 or less of them can be active at any time. I don’t find that to be a big limitation.

— Burton —
L
LenHewitt
Jun 12, 2004
Burton,

It doesn’t support OpenType <<

Yes it does.

Now I would agree that support for MM Fonts is less than perfect and it doesn’t support auto-activation.

However, whereas auto-activation can be extremely convenient, unless you also have auto-deactivation, it can rapidly make using any kind of font-manager pretty pointless.
B
BobLevine
Jun 12, 2004
Burton,

You’re way off here. ATM Deluxe 4.1, while very likely the end of the road, does support opentype. I don’t use MM fonts and their developement is completely over.

I’ve been using it happily with Win 2K and XP for several years with no issues at all.

I know my points are rehashing Len’s but I’m also no fan of autoactivation. Before you turn around, you’ve got 1000 active fonts again.

Bob
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Jun 12, 2004
It doesn’t support OpenType or even Adobe’s own MultiMaster fonts. It doesn’t auto-activate fonts.

Funny. All of that works just fine on my ATM 4.1 Deluxe.

=-= Harron =-=
CP
Cleveland_Park
Jun 13, 2004
Thank you all for the information and advice. I think the best thing for me to do for now is to stay with ATM 4.1 Deluxe in spite of it’s problems. I downloaded and installed the demo of Extensis’ Suitcase 9.2 and turned my laptop computer into an expensive paperweight for a couple of hours.

Once I managed to get everything working again, I found ‘Suitcase’ to be lacking in many ways. I like the interface though. I’d like to try the demo of Extensis’ Font Reserve, but after the problems I had with ‘Suitcase’ I’m very hesitant.

I would like to see what Extensis does with these products. When you read the info on their website it seems that they could have a real winner if they combined the features of ‘Suitcase’, ‘Font Reserve’ and ‘Font Doctor’ into one affordable package.
Jun 15, 2004
It doesn’t support
OpenType or even Adobe’s own MultiMaster fonts.

Huh? Since when?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections