SP
Posted By
steve_peters
Apr 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a dual G5 2ghz. Right now I have Photoshop CS installed on the same drive as my OSX. I have two external scsi RAID 0’s, and a fire wire drive for backup. I am using one for scratch and the other to store working files ( I know that RAID O are not the safest, and that is why I back up frequently). I have read in the past that you should have Photoshop installed on a different drive than your scratch. Would it make any improvement to stick Photoshop on my RAID that I use to store my files on? I have read that, with large files ~1gig, that actually saving your files to the same disc as your scratch disk (when using a RAID) would give you the fastest saves. Any thoughts? Also, if I do end up moving Photoshop, can I just drag it to it’s new location or use carbon copy cloner, or should I just re install?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 17, 2004
My inclination is to keep Photoshop on the start-up HD but to install a second internal SATA HD in your G5 and use that drive for Photoshop’s scratch disk.

Then use your existing externals to store back-ups.

That is how I have set-up my system and it works extremely well.
B
Buko
Apr 17, 2004
system drive

scratch or the other drive
B
Buko
Apr 17, 2004
that should be "scratch on the other drive"
SP
steve_peters
Apr 18, 2004
So you do not think that Photoshop runs any better by being on a faster hard drive? I know that it is important to have the fastest drive possable for scratch, which I do. I have a 6 drive RAID for that.
B
Buko
Apr 18, 2004
Photoshop runs in RAM and the scratch disk not on the drive its installed on.
NP
Navarro_Parker
Apr 19, 2004
ALWAYS install applications in your startup drive’s Applications folder. Don’t move them around or put them in subfolders. It’s a Mac OS X thing. Just leave it where its supposed to be. You risk fowling up future updates.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 19, 2004
<< You risk fowling up future updates. >>

Yep –those chickens will definitely come home to roost!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections