AL
Posted By
Andrew_L_Slayman
Sep 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m putting together a new system partly to run Photoshop, Bridge, and Camera Raw, and I have a question about the optimal hard drive configuration. Software is CS3 running on Windows XP Pro SP2.

With three physical drives, I would probably do it like this:
1. 10k RPM – OS, programs
2. 10k RPM – ?
3. 7.2k RPM – Assets

Where is the best place for the Windows page file and the Photoshop scratch disk?

Or would I be better off going with four (less expensive) 7.2k RPM drives, in which case the OS/programs, page file, scratch disk, and assets could all have their own drives?

Many thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

F
Freeagent
Sep 22, 2008
Your setup is excellent, if you let Photoshop scratch have #2. Don’t put anything else on that drive.

Leave the pagefile in the default location on the system drive. It’s not as performance-critical as PS scratch, as long as the two are kept separate.
M
Mylenium
Sep 22, 2008
As mentioned, the system swap file will not necessarily require a lot of performance if you have sufficient RAM, so setting aside an extra disk may not have any benefits. You should just make sure to make it large enough and define a manual size, the reason being that this way it will be created in a fixed location, preventing it from getting overly fragmented.

Mylenium
H
Ho
Sep 22, 2008
Your setup is excellent, if you let Photoshop scratch have #2. Don’t put anything else on that drive.

Why? If the drive is a large capacity model, e.g., 200GB+, then I think it would be a waste not to partition it. If you partition the drive and give PS the outer (faster) partition for scratch, you can use the remainder for files that will not be loaded into Photoshop, such as HD images or other data/backups. The reason for not loading files likely to be accessed by PS on the second partition is that you want to avoid simultaneous reads/writes to the scratch drive.
F
Freeagent
Sep 22, 2008
Ho,

This is all very true. I just wanted to keep it simple 🙂
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Sep 22, 2008
I use the second partition for long term storage, and if I want an image from that drive, I copy it to my Edit folder, then copy it back when I am ready.

You can have your cake and eat it too. 🙂
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 22, 2008
I’ll throw another suggestion out there:

CS4 is going to be native 64 bit so you may just want to consider Vista 64 as the operating system and load it up with eight gigs or so of RAM.

Combined with that harddrive set up you should have a screaming fast setup.

Bob
AL
Andrew_L_Slayman
Sep 23, 2008
Many thanks to all for the suggestions.

I will probably go with two 10k’s, one for OS/programs and the other for PS scratch, plus an assets drive. I like the idea of partitioning the scratch disk and using the rest of it for non-PS data.
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Sep 24, 2008
The time seems right for me to rebuild my system. I hope to go with Vista 64-bit and CS4. I also expect to replace my mostly PATA disc system with SATA, so I have been wondering about an optimal disc setup too.

I have read a few sources espousing a RAID level 0 for the PShop scratch. Does it really improve performance that much? Drives may be cheap nowadays, but enclosure space and power connectors remain the limiting factor.
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 24, 2008
Does it really improve performance that much?

Mainly for working on large files. I go up to 100+MB and don’t feel the need for RAID.
F
Freeagent
Sep 24, 2008
I had RAID0 on my previous xp system and it was really fast, but on the present Vista 64/8GB system I haven’t bothered.

Photoshop’s memory management changed with CS3. Scratch disk is now a continuous and highly dynamic background activity – most of the time keeping one step ahead of the action – and as a result RAM is rarely fully saturated. IOW, you don’t wait for the scratch disk nearly as much as you used to, so access time is not that critical any more.

Unless, as John said, you’re working on really huge files.
M
Mylenium
Sep 24, 2008
Really depends. I’m not a photographer, so my insights are limited, but when you deal with RAW files a lot, RAIDs seem superior, probably due to how they allow to read the files, generate previews and save adjusted versions all at the same time. Not merely a bandwidth thing, but related to the access pattern I’d say. Beyond that the need for RAID is arguable, it seems. Even most print facilities I know, work off their standard internal disks in their Macs, so it mustn’t be that critical if considering the sheer file sizes. I would however dare to say that when you are actually doing touchup and PS’ caching system comes into play as you pan and zoom around, a RAID may noticeably speed up things.

Mylenium
VW
Vann_Weller
Oct 9, 2008
im putting together a machine that will be pretty much used JUST for photoshop. i have an older 250 Gb SATA 1.5 drive with (probably) a 4mb cache and a 500 Gb SATA 3.0 drive with 32 Mb cache. So far I have put windows xp on a 75 G partition of the 500 and have two other 200 G partitions available. with this setup, where is the best place to put the OS, the PS program files, the windows swap file and the PS scratch discs. I can start over and re-partition the drives and reinstall the OS wherever i have to. looking for the best way to configure my resources. Im running this with a Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53GHz and 4 gigs ofPC6400 DDR2 800 Dual Channel RAM.

btw, im using PS 7.0 for now, but will likely move up to LightRoom in the not too distant future.

thanks
MH
Mikko_Hakanen
Oct 9, 2008
There are threads where people are saying that making partitions allways get the file performance slower. I’m installing a new computer to Photoshop work and going to get the optimal hard drive configuration. I have three 500Gb SATA drives and I’m thinking configuration:

1. physical drive OS (vista 64-bit) and Apps
2. physical drive two partitions D: Win Pagefile and E: data
3. physical drive two partitions F: Photoshop Scratch and G: data

How can I give PS the outer (faster) partition for scratch (on the drive 3)?

If I partition the 1. physical drive too so that OS and APPS gets the faster (outer) partition, would it have significant disadvantages?
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 9, 2008
How can I give PS the outer (faster) partition for scratch (on the drive 3)?

Nominate it by drive letter as primary scratch in preferences.
MH
Mikko_Hakanen
Oct 9, 2008
Sorry I asked the question in a wrong way. I ment – how I can get (in Vista) a partition that is the faster (outer) partition on that drive? Is it so that the first partition to be made is always the faster one on that physical drive?

The nomination where scratch is, is no problem.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 9, 2008
Don’t know that one – I don’t do partitions.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections