LH
Posted By
lou_hosta
Feb 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
As I use Photoshop 7.0.1 on my 1GHz mirrored door drive Mac with 1.75 GB of DDR SDRAM, I run into the following problem. I begin to loose space on my hard drive. Even after quitting PS; I delete the trash, and there is still an unacceptable amount of hard drive space missing. If I log out or reboot I then recover the missing hard drive memory on my hard drive.

I remember having this problem once before in an earlier version of PS and I was able to fix it with an update or something, but I can’t recall exactly what I did.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks,
Lou

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 16, 2004
What OS version?

How much disk space is available?

It sounds like you just don’t have enough disk space OR the OS isn’t correctly cleaning up the scratch files (which was a known bug in certain Mac OS releases).
LH
lou_hosta
Feb 17, 2004
My OS is Panther 10.3.2. I have about 18 GB of disk space left. I seems like my scratch files are not being correctly cleaned. Any idea how to fix this?
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 17, 2004
Whenever you launch Photoshop, it cleans up any leftover scratch files.

So, I don’t know what you’re seeing exactly.
GB
g_ballard
Feb 17, 2004
LH
lou_hosta
Feb 17, 2004
After using PS for a while I’ll have 15.55 GB left on my hard drive. This number stays the same after quitting and restarting PS. After logging out and logging back (or rebooting ) I’ll then have 18.1 GB back on my hard drive.

This was the exact problem I had with an earlier version of PS and/or Mac OS. I remember it being docmented by others and eventually either Adobe or Mac (I believe it was Adobe) came out with a patch and fixed the bug. I vaguely recall a fix was put out by someone on this forum before the official fix was put out by Adobe. Had to change something using the terminal or NetInfo Manager or something like that.

Anyone else see the problem described in this thread?
SV
Steve_Vespucci
Feb 17, 2004
Chris Cox is your Adobe connection Lou, give him as much info on what’s going on as you can.

I personally haven’t seen the problem since version 6 I think it was, or maybe 5.5.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 17, 2004
lou – that sounds more like the OS paging file is taking up some space, which is normal.

No, there was never a problem like you’re describing other than the MacOS bugs that failed to remove scratch files after rebooting.
SB
Scott_Byer
Feb 17, 2004
Yup. Normal. OS X doesn’t overcommit paging space, which means that for all the memory on the system that gets allocated (even if it’s going to stay in RAM), the paging file is grown just in case that memory needs to be paged out. The paging file is never shrunk, except at boot time, where it starts empty again.

-Scott

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections