NJ
Posted By
Niel_Johnson
Apr 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop Elements came bundled and installed with my HP Windows XP, and we have the installion disk. Recently the hard drive crashed and now neither we nor the Best Buy people can reinstall Photoshop Elements because the pocess stops with a request for a registration/identification number. No number that we can find (on the paper sleeve, on the disk, etc.) works – or even has the right number of digits. Where do we find that number?

Niel Johnson

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 18, 2004
HP bought the distribution rights to Elements, so you should contact them. Adobe won’t have a copy of the serial number. Well, now that I think about it – did you have to register the software with Adobe the first time you used it? (I’ve never had any software bundled with my computers, so I don’t know.) If you did, you ought to be able to be able to check your registration information.
PD
Pete_D
Apr 19, 2004
Niel,

Look in the HP utility "Application Recovery" and see if Photoshop Elements is in the list. You might be able to do a "recovery" installation instead of a new installation. It should be listed in the program list under HP Tools.

When the Hard drive crashed did you/they do a "system recovery"?

Or did they replace the hard drive? If the hard drive has not been replaced have you tried "System Restore" that restores the hard drive to an earlier date when it was working OK.

If you don’t know the System Recovery is a Destructive method of restoring the hard drive, meaning you WILL loose all saved documents and added programs as well as any updates added since the computer was new.

System Restore will not overwrite any documents saved or programs added before the selected restore date. This is the preferred method of restoring a hard drive.

Pete
ML
Marty Landolt
Apr 19, 2004
Just curious … I’ve had a computer for 25 years and never had a harddrive "crash". I am now using downloads more so am more intent on backing up. What causes "crashes" besides perhaps viruses?
Marty
MM
Mac_McDougald
Apr 19, 2004
Can be mechanical…HD’s have a MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) rating. Which has gotten longer through the years. Eventually though, the thing has to give up, after all it’s several high speed moving parts.

Or can be just a few bad sectors develop. Which you might not even notice unless those are home to some critical system files.

But more often, is sofware. Master Boot Record gets trashed. Or the OS just develops some glitch that you can’t fix. Virii. SpyWare. Deleting things without uninstalling, registry errors. Whatever.

Mac
ML
Marty Landolt
Apr 19, 2004
Mac, Thanks. Now, at least, I know it’s mostly out of my control. I also know that I want to get all this "backing up" right. On my old computer I had "Fastback" and it was so easy to do regular backups.
Like everything I learn, it’s always easier ‘after’ you have learned it.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections