Posted By
Mike McBride
Apr 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
….Contrast?

I work with scans of slides of paintings. The slides often contain washed out areas that I can correct with Contrast, however I would like there to be a fall-off. Combining Contrast with a Gradient would be ideal, but I don’t see Contrast as one of the Mode selections.

Anyone know if this can be done?

Thanks!
Mike McBride

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
JasonSmith
Apr 15, 2004
How about a Contrast adjustment layer, with a gradient applied to the adjustment layer’s mask?
L
LRK
Apr 15, 2004
I would not use Contrast. The Brightness and Contrast filter and/or adjustment layer cannot be controlled properly. I would use Levels or Curves.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 15, 2004
I use B/C everyonce in a while, but always with the blending mode set to Luminosity.
L
LRK
Apr 15, 2004
Okay… I’ve never tried that.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 15, 2004
just to let you guys know.

there is a shortage of high end retouchers in SF.

come to mecca.

you’ll start out at 70k a year……
G
graffiti
Apr 15, 2004
you’ll start out at 70k a year……

Which is about enough to cover the rent on a studio apartment in the city. 🙂
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 15, 2004
well,

I didn’t want to pop anyones bubble.

Actually, rents are going down in the City.

I know of 5 shops and will throw money at ya.

Anyone want to work with me?

;o~
L
LRK
Apr 15, 2004
Not assuming that you’re referring to me… but that’s more than I make now… however, I think I’ll stay in sunny south Florida with my little flamy. 🙂
MM
Mike McBride
Apr 15, 2004
LRK,
I live in Sarasota. What part of Sunny South Florida are you in?

Mike,
The salary sounds great! Can I tele-commute? ;^)

Mike McBride
J
JasonSmith
Apr 15, 2004
Mike – I’m just a short trip from you — St Petersburg myself.

(work in Clearwater)

(PS – go Bucs)
DK
Doug_Katz
Apr 15, 2004
Mike, I’ve been thinking of moving to Sarasota (where my in-laws live) and telecommuting to work with MO.

How do you like Sarasota? How’s the market for illustrators? Does the gradient tool combine with contrast nicely down there (just to stay on topic….)?
MM
Mike McBride
Apr 15, 2004
LRK,
What I’m trying to remove are brighter, washed out areas usually cause by a flash. The spot created by the flash is usually brightest at its center and gradually fades off to normal lighting. Thus, the Gradient tool is ideal because I can select an area and create a fall-off that reverses the effect of the flash. In theory, it should work.

I can get close by using the Gradient tool set to Darkening mode. But it’s not a perfect solution, because I have to then go back and relighten the areas I don’t want darkened.

I’ve also tried, with limited success, selecting the area with a lasso and using Curves, B/C and other tools, but it effect each pixel equally, which means the lights get darker and the darks get darker too. Not the result I need.

I can’t see why modes like Contrast, Blur, etc. should be able to be applied as Gradients. Perhaps Adobe will add it in some future upgrade.

Thanks all, for you help.

Mike McBride
L
LRK
Apr 15, 2004
Yea for Florida! I’m in Palm Beach Gardens Mike.

I totally agree about using the gradient tool on an adjustment layer. It works great and I use that combination all the time. If it were me I would probably use a combination of adjusment layers, using a soft paint brush to paint the effects in and out as needed. I would need to see the photo in order to determine where I would start though. I’m more of a visual, hands-on problem solver. 🙂
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Apr 15, 2004
Mike, you can apply them with a gradient! You need to create a gradient in the mask , search for "masks" and "layer masks" in your manual/help file!!!

For instance, create an adjustment layer, then use the black to white gradient to control/limit it…

black hides, white reveals…
J
JasonSmith
Apr 15, 2004
I tried.
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Apr 15, 2004
The Overlay mode is a contrast multiplier, but for your purpose, Multiply would probably work better.

2 suggestions

1.) Make the gradient from white to a middle gray rather than black

2.) Use the layer opacity control to fine-tune the effect.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 15, 2004
You could also get into advanced blending options (in layer styles).
MM
Mike McBride
Apr 15, 2004
Wow! Whodathunk so many of us would live in Florida?

Jason,
Who do you work for there in Clearwater?

Doug,
Sarasota is great! Especially if you’re an artist, as it was originally an Artist Colony and retained much of the lifestyle. The beaches are also great, some of which are considered in the top 10 in the nation (re: Siesta Key Beach).

The weather is typically cooler and breezier than surrounding cities, like Tampa and St. Petersburg/Clearwater. Sarasotans like to believe it’s cause we’re so special, but I suspect there’s something to the lay-of-the-land that causes it. ;^)

Sarasota isn’t a large city, so the work for illustrators is limited, excepting newspapers and magazines, of which we have many. Sarasota alone produces at least five top mags, including Sarasota Magazine, SRQ, LBK (stands for Long Boat Key) and Paradise. All are full-bleed, full-color glossy mags. They employ most of the illustrators in the area. However, Tampa and St. Pete/Clearwater are less than an hour away and are major metropolitan areas. Especially Tampa, which is considered an Illustator/Photographer capital. I could probobly make more money there, but I don’t want the commute anymore, and I love living in Sarasota (five minutes from the beach) so I’ll never move there.

BTW, who is MO?

LRK,
Where is Palm Beach Gardens? Is it in Palm Beach (probobly a dumb question). Are you on the East Coast of Florida?

I’ll try the Adjustment Layer technique. I don’t use them much, as I find it faster to simply pop in and out of my History Palette when I want to go forward and back during retouching. I’ll let you know how it works out.

All,
We should start a Florida Illustrator/Retoucher network. My contact info is below. Please send me yours, so we can stay in touch. It’s not that often I meet others from Florida in my field.

Doug, since you’ll undoubtedly end up here in paradise, you should include your contact info too. ;^)

Thanks All!
Mike McBride
Universal Color Slide
Sarasota, FL
941/966-3632
www.universalcolorslide.com
L
LRK
Apr 15, 2004
Mike,

Be sure to go back and read Bruce Fraser’s post… you are getting advice from one of the leading experts. 🙂

Palm Beach Gardens is the newer area of Palm Beach County. It’s north of West Palm and very nice. We are west of Palm Beach Gardens in an equestrian area.

I remember Sarasota from when I was a kid and my parents would take me there when my dad played in golf tournaments. I remember it as being very nice although I haven’t been back in many years.

Did you attend Photoshop World in Tampa two and three years back?
J
JasonSmith
Apr 15, 2004
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 15, 2004
hardly.

Closer to Bruce maybe.
MM
Mike McBride
Apr 15, 2004
Doug,
Either I’m slow, or I missed the punch line. I thought MO was a company you worked for. Should I recognize the man in your picture?

LRK,
No, I missed Photoshop World that year, as I lived in Virginia at the time. Sarasota is very nice, and improving as more "younger" population arrive each year. I relooked at Bruces advice, as you suggested. I’ve never understood the "Multiply" mode, so I’ll have to look into it.

I’ve gotten some really good advice here, and I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my call for help. I’ll try your techniques and post my results.

Thanks again! Those of you in Florida be sure to send your contact info to me at I want to start a FLA Illustrator/Retoucher network.

Thank all!
Mike
R
Ram
Apr 15, 2004
I’ve never understood the "Multiply" mode

Just think of putting two identical slides sandwiched together in a projector.
J
JasonSmith
Apr 16, 2004
Also think of Multiply mode as ‘Overprint’.

(ps – I just did a google search for MO – that wasnt really crayola MO in that image)
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 16, 2004
IF you did a search for my name, you’d find out that there are a few strange people with the same name.

What’s in the name?

strange people.

One happens to be my uncle, who passed away in Hawaii.
SP
steve_peters
Apr 16, 2004
Mike O,
Are you in SF?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 17, 2004
yep.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections