WE
Posted By
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 6, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was reading something the other night about using the gradient tool with the mode set to difference so I started to play around with it. What I did was:

1. Created a new image with file/new 20cm & 14cm 300 resolution.
2. Chose blue from the gradient set simple and set the mode to difference.
3. Started with linear and then reflected gradient and used quite a few long and short strokes going in different direction.
4. Added a bit of radial and diamond gradient , using quite short strokes, to give it interest.
5. When a large area looked OK I used the rectangular marquee on about the top two thirds of the image.
6. Copy & Paste
7. Used the move tool to pull down the pasted area into a reflection… like we did in the fire tutorial.
8. Flattened the image.

I also played around with Gaussian Blur … just on selected areas of the image to blend them in, followed by a little more diamond and radial gradient. Not quite sure what I will do with it … but it was fun doing it.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 6, 2003
Hi Wendy, I would love to see the image. Have you opened your pbase.com account yet? Spent the day raking our yard, so haven’t had much of a chance to computer today. But do keep looking here to see what everybody is doing and the fun they are having. Jane
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 6, 2003
Wendy,

You come up with some of the most clever things!!

I tried it, and I liked it — I didn’t know what to expect from your write-up, so I was wondering what was going to happen. Once I put the second gradient over the first, I almost fell off my chair.

Because of the free-hand nature of doing this, it will always result in a unique rendition.

I used all of the gradient types, with varying angles and strokes, and a few different base colors. I didn’t add a reflection as you describe, but I can see how it could be used.

I put my masterpiece at http://home.comcast.net/~hey-m0e/DiffGradient.jpg in case anyone wants to view it… I’ll call it "fidget".

Byron
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 6, 2003
Wow Byron … I like it, it looks good enough to frame and hang on your wall 🙂

Its an amazing effect isn’t it … the first time I did it I thought I had done something wrong and that maybe it was time to delete the preferences ! I never thought that setting the mode to difference could do something like that! and as you said each one turn our totally different.

Jane … I have decided to do a little web site with my service provider but as yet haven’t got round to it. Hopefully I will sort something out this weekend … if I can tear myself away from Elements.
SK
Shan_Ko
Nov 7, 2003
Byron,

Cool image, dude!

Shan
LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 7, 2003
Loved it, Byron. How pretty. It looks better than a lot of the modern art I see in our Civic Center that cost thousands of dollars!

And, Wendy. Thanks for the tip – something else I can play with.

I’ve been playing around with Richard’s Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements 2 – Fascinating stuff. Considering that the Hidden Powers won’t load in correctly. They’re supposed to be in the HOW TO pallet, but they aren’t there. Oh, well! I’m still having fun.

Lorace – off to play the Wizard – I’ll call this trick "Wendy’s Wizard of Ooze." ha ha
SS
Susan_S.
Nov 7, 2003
Lorace – it’s worth having a look/posting on Richard lynch’s discussion forum for Elements to see if there is anything there that helps.

< http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&day sprune=&forumid=142>

Susan S.
KW
Kyle_White
Nov 7, 2003
Byron,

What Shan said: "Cool image, dude!"

Kyle
JC
Jane_Carter
Nov 7, 2003
These are fun! Here is mine,
<http://www.pbase.com/image/23067654>
I am still working on the fire text, and started a new one, hope to have that one here soon, but I seem to still have some trouble with it. But as I do these, I sure am learning, and it sure is fun! Keep these fun tutorials coming!
Thanks,
Jane
PA
Patti_Anderson
Nov 7, 2003
Thanks for sharing this gradient technique, Wendy! I have been playing with combining images using the Multiply blending mode a la Gregory Georges’ book. I used my new gradient background with an angel statue image from book CD.

<http://www.pbase.com/image/23068594>

I also used a *few* filters and brushes.

🙂
Patti (who is getting behind in her work now because of this PE addiction!)
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 7, 2003
Jane,

Nice!! I like the way it looks a bit crystallized… like it’s beginning to freeze.

Fire… fire…. FIRE!!! (cheerleading for your flaming text efforts) 🙂

Byron
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 7, 2003
Patti,

The way the angel is blended into the background makes me think of the way you can "see things" if you stare at clouds long enough… Don’t know if your intention was in that direction, but it’s a neat effect!

Byron
BG
Byron_Gale
Nov 7, 2003
Wendy,

I was playing around with your technique, and tried it using the black/white gradient from the Default set.

I found the effect to be very interesting – seeing the patterns rendered in monochrome.

FWIW.

Byron
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Nov 7, 2003
There really are some good effects using it, I like the way the image splits and changes … just tried the Black & White gradient and it gives a new dimension to the technique.

Patti … combining images using the multiply blending mode sound interesting. The effect with the Angel is really good … I am going to have a try doing something similar. I will let you know how I go on (and shout help when I get stuck) 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections