D
Posted By
DaveEdwards
May 4, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I am working on a single image I know how to use two adjustment layers and the gradient tool to allow different level values to show on different halves of the photo. (hope I communicated that okay).

However, if I want to use two different images (tripod shot, but different exposures) layering one over the other, I can’t seem to figure out how to use the gradient tool for a smooth transition. What I’m trying to do is use the right side of photo 1 (background) and the left side of photo 2 (layer). Instead, I end up using the eraser, and even at 5 or 10% it’s almost impossible to achieve the same seamless transition that a gradient allows.

Can someone point me in the right direction here? Thanks!

PSE3 and OSX.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin_Walls
May 4, 2005
There are several ways to do what you want. The neatest way, IMHO, is to use a layer mask, which transitions from white [image visible] to black [invisible] across the image.

Problem is that PSE doesn’t natively support layer masks. But, the good news is that they may easily be added and need not cost anything. Take a look here: <http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/Challenge/Tools/index.html>
BG
Byron Gale
May 4, 2005
Dave,

If you want to do it without the Layer Mask mentioned by Colin, you can use what’s called a "clipping group"… sound’s strange, but it’s easy.

Between the two layers you have, create a new, blank layer. On this layer, draw a color-to-transparent gradient – placing the color end where you wish to see the upper image layer (does not matter which color – only that you have some pixels). Then select the upper layer in the layers palette, and select Layer > Group with Previous from the menu. This creates the Clipping Group… the upper layer’s visibility is controlled by the presence/absence/opacity of pixels on the lower, grouped layer.

You should now see the background image where your gradient is transparent, the upper layer image where your gradient is colored, and a gradual transition between the two as your gradient goes from transparent to color.

You will probably have to re-draw the gradient a couple of times to get the look you want. When I do this, I click the gradient layer in the Layers palette, Select > All on the menu, then tap the Delete key. Then with the selection still active, just draw another gradient. If I don’t like it, Delete and draw again. Note that when the gradient is deleted, the upper image disappears because there are not pixels for it to "stick" to. I find that beginning and ending the gradient about 35% and 65% in from the margins, respectively, gives a good place to start.

HTH,

Byron
D
DaveEdwards
May 5, 2005
Thank you both for your quick and excellent suggestions. Much appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections