R
Posted By
rdoc2
Apr 2, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a group photo of 6 people and I am using Photoshop CS3. The photo is a 9.17" wide by 8" high in size. If I view it in print size the features of the individuals are just a little two small to see like I would like them to be. That is at a magnification of 24% which is what Photoshop sets at print size. If I increase it to 25% it is really perfect! How can I get the photo to print at that magnification which I know will give me a photo larger than the 9.17" x 8" which is ok by me? The resolution of the photo is 300 p/i.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

T
Talker
Apr 2, 2008
On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 00:55:05 -0400, "Gary F. Pitel" wrote:

I have a group photo of 6 people and I am using Photoshop CS3. The photo is a 9.17" wide by 8" high in size. If I view it in print size the features of the individuals are just a little two small to see like I would like them to be. That is at a magnification of 24% which is what Photoshop sets at print size. If I increase it to 25% it is really perfect! How can I get the photo to print at that magnification which I know will give me a photo larger than the 9.17" x 8" which is ok by me? The resolution of the photo is 300 p/i.

I’m not sure I understand what you want the end result to be. If you want to zoom in so that you can see the people’s faces better, then use the Crop tool. In Photoshop 7, it’s in the tool bar, the third tool down on the left side.(under the lasso). Once you’ve selcted the crop tool, at the top of the window you can set the width the height and the pixels per inch. Set the pixels per inch to 300. As for the other two, set them to the size you want the picture to be (8×10 maybe?) Now drag the cursor over the picture so that you get the faces of the people centered. When you get the desired area selected, click on the check mark at the top of the window. If you screw up and don’t like the selected area, click on the cancel symbol. Once you’ve selected the check mark, you’ll see what the final picture will look like.

Talker
R
rdoc2
Apr 2, 2008
Talker wrote:

I’m not sure I understand what you want the end result to be. If you want to zoom in so that you can see the people’s faces better, then use the Crop tool. In Photoshop 7, it’s in the tool bar, the third tool down on the left side.(under the lasso). Once you’ve selcted the crop tool, at the top of the window you can set the width the height and the pixels per inch. Set the pixels per inch to 300. As for the other two, set them to the size you want the picture to be (8×10 maybe?) Now drag the cursor over the picture so that you get the faces of the people centered. When you get the desired area selected, click on the check mark at the top of the window. If you screw up and don’t like the selected area, click on the cancel symbol. Once you’ve selected the check mark, you’ll see what the final picture will look like.

Talker
I am trying to enlarge the facial features by one percent in size so I guess that I must enlarge the photo itself by one percent. Given that fact what is the safest or best way for me to do that in this case? According to the above facts I want to go from a 24% zoom to a 25% zoom. Thanks
R
rdoc2
Apr 2, 2008
Talker wrote:

Talker
Maybe I don’t understand something here with the crop tool. Can you take an 8×10 picture and crop it down and eliminate say a piece of it and than print it and still have a true 8 x 10 size picture meaning that it enlarges what is left to an 8×10 size?
J
Joel
Apr 2, 2008
"Gary F. Pitel" wrote:

Hmmm if you can slow down a little to let other to have the chance to catch up what you are trying to say <bg>

1. If you have 9.17" x 8" photo then it should print to 9.17" x 8". If
9.17" x 8" is too small then you may need to print to a larger size.

2. Magnification or ZOOM IN 24% or 2400% usually won’t effect the print size. And

YES, you can VIEW with any magnification

NO, you CAN NOT print to the magnification as magnification is for VIEWING *not* PRINTING.

3. If you want to print to 9.12" x 8" or 90.12" x 80" or whatever size then you tell Photoshop to PRINT to whatever size you want it to print (not viewing).

a. You can RESIZE to whatever size you wish

b. Unless you have a special printer or tool to print larger than the paper size, else the largest size is the size of paper your printer can handle.

IOW, there are software and hardware (printer) can print to multiple paper size. Example the program called Poster can print a single photo to 4-6-8 sheets of paper, or I can print a single photo to 4+ sheets of paper with my laser printer (then put those papers together to single photo)
T
Talker
Apr 2, 2008
On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 10:57:35 -0400, "Gary F. Pitel" wrote:

Talker wrote:

Talker
Maybe I don’t understand something here with the crop tool. Can you take an 8×10 picture and crop it down and eliminate say a piece of it and than print it and still have a true 8 x 10 size picture meaning that it enlarges what is left to an 8×10 size?

Yes. If you use the crop tool and set the size to 8 inches on one side and 10 inches on the other side, then set the ppi to 300, if you click and drag the cursor to outline the area that you want to print, then click on the check mark at the top of the window, the picture will crop and enlarge the area that you want. Try it once to see what happens. If you don’t like the result, just "undo" the crop and try again.

Talker
M
Mike
Apr 2, 2008
In article , says…
Talker wrote:

Talker
I am trying to enlarge the facial features by one percent in size so I guess that I must enlarge the photo itself by one percent. Given that fact what is the safest or best way for me to do that in this case? According to the above facts I want to go from a 24% zoom to a 25% zoom. Thanks
My guess is that the difference you see between 24% and 25% zoom is an effect of the way Photoshop displays pictures on
the screen. Unless you are looking at the ‘View/Actual pixels’ scale, Photoshop will interpolate the pixels in the
image to match the pixels available on the screen. this is a slightly lossy procedure and, depending on the exact zoom
you are using, it can alter what you se on the screen. Remember – you may print at 200-300 pixels per inch onto ther
photographic paper, but your screen only has around 50-80 pixels per inch. So the detail of what you will get in the
final photo (assuming it is printed at 300 ppi on good paper etc) is what Photoshop displays at View/Actual pixels.

Mike
R
rdoc2
Apr 3, 2008
Mike wrote:
In article , says…
Talker wrote:

Talker
My guess is that the difference you see between 24% and 25% zoom is an effect of the way Photoshop displays pictures on
the screen. Unless you are looking at the ‘View/Actual pixels’ scale, Photoshop will interpolate the pixels in the
image to match the pixels available on the screen. this is a slightly lossy procedure and, depending on the exact zoom
you are using, it can alter what you se on the screen. Remember – you may print at 200-300 pixels per inch onto ther
photographic paper, but your screen only has around 50-80 pixels per inch. So the detail of what you will get in the
final photo (assuming it is printed at 300 ppi on good paper etc) is what Photoshop displays at View/Actual pixels.

Mike
Mike are you saying that when I view actual pixels in Photoshop that is what I will see when I print the photo out on good photo paper?
J
Joel
Apr 3, 2008
"Gary F. Pitel" wrote:

<snip>

Mike
Mike are you saying that when I view actual pixels in Photoshop that is what I will see when I print the photo out on good photo paper?

What Mike says that what you VIEW on screen is what your EYES see the photo on monitor *not* the printer PRINTS on paper.

– The printer prints exactly what the program tells it to print, or with Photoshop the printer will print to the Heigh x Width information

– Different graphic program may have different printing option, or some may give you the option to print to FULL PAGE *not* base on the information of the file (XRIF).

– Same with GOOD PHOTO PAPER, the printer doesn’t care if the paper is "Photo Paper" or "Regular Paper", it will print (more/less ink) whatever you tell it to print.

IOW, the operator may want to figure out what the software/hardware can or can’t do and go from there. Also, since Photoshop is a Photo Retoucher *not* a regular graphic viewer so it may design to handle the graphic file different than the regular graphic viewer.
J
Joel
Apr 3, 2008
"Gary F. Pitel" wrote:

Talker wrote:

Talker

You are talking and confusing between 2 different things here.

1. CROPPING is selecting a smaller part of the original larger photo, and it has nothing to do with the printing size.

– YES, it has to do with RATIO aspect *but* not the size.. Example "2×3 ratio" vs "4×5 ratio"

2. 8×10 (4×5 ratio which can be smaller/larger than 2×3 ratio depending on the W x H x R) is the printing ratio. If you set to 8" x 10" specific then it will print to 8×10, if you set to 16×20 then it will print to 16×20 or 32×40

And here I don’t understand what you mean by 8×10 size picture. YES, I do understand what 8×10 is, but don’t understand what you have at your end.
P
prowler
Apr 3, 2008
"Mike" wrote in message
In article ,
says…
Talker wrote:

I have a group photo of 6 people and I am using Photoshop CS3. The photo
is a 9.17" wide by 8" high in size. If I view it in print size the features of the individuals are just a little two small to see like I would like them to be. That is at a magnification of 24% which is what Photoshop sets at print size. If I increase it to 25% it is really perfect! How can I get the photo to print at that magnification which I
know will give me a photo larger than the 9.17" x 8" which is ok by me?
The resolution of the photo is 300 p/i.

<<::SNIP::>>

photographic paper, but your screen only has around 50-80 pixels per inch.
<<::SNIP::>>
Mike

Umm, not so, at today’s SOTA. While 72 to 96 PPI used to be a reasonable range to presume for monitors back in the heyday of CRTs, it is no longer accurate now. For example, the native resolution of my ThinkPad R50p with UXGA is 1600 x 1200 on a 15" screen. This equates to a native PPI of a little over 133 PPI for this screen. There is now a very wide range of resolutions and aspect ratios available, and there truly is no quick and dirty rule of thumb anymore. About all that can be reasonably said is that screen resolution is likely to fall between 72 PPI and 170 PPI.

I do agree with what you said about the display characteristics the OP is observing. If he is viewing at anything other than 100% (i.e., actual pixels) then Photoshop is scaling the image by some arbitrary amount for display on the screen. The closer the effective PPI comes at this scaling factor to the native PPI (or an exact multiple/sub-multiple) of the display the better the image will appear, but it truly has no relationship to how it will look when printed at its actual PPI. The best thing for the OP to do is to perform test prints, rather than relying upon what he sees on the screen. This is particularly true since, unless he has done an end-to-end calibration of his equipment, he’s likely to find that color fidelity of the prints, and not output resolution, is his biggest issue.

prowler

Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
———————————————————- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
———————————————————- http://www.usenet.com
K
KatWoman
Apr 3, 2008
"Gary F. Pitel" wrote in message

you don’t have to change image size but you can if you want to that is one way
zooming on the screen has NOTHING to do with printing size select print
in the dialog box you can choose any size fill inthe boxes what you want or use fit to paper

for viewing use the VIEW menu choose >show all menu >then view print size

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections