EJ
Posted By
Eric_J._White
Apr 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to use the import option under the File menu, but Place, Import & Export are all grayed out. How can I turn on these features? Using PS 5.5 on a Mac G4.
Thanks,
Eric White

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 11, 2004
Do you have a document open? You need to. What are you trying to Place or Import?
EJ
Eric_J._White
Apr 11, 2004
I have a new document open. I tried adding graphic elements & layers to it before importing to see if that helped. I am trying to import photos from a digital camera. Does the computer have to recognize the camera before Photoshop will un-grey the import option?
B
Buko
Apr 11, 2004
copy the images to your hard drive and open them.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 11, 2004
Yes, that’s how I do it. You may need a plugin or something to import directly into Photoshop (expecially ancient 5.5). Did you camera come with any software?

Still, I think you are better off just downloading them to a folder on your HD.
EJ
Eric_J._White
Apr 11, 2004
That’s what the Pentax camera website suggests. They say that when the camera is attached by USB and plugged in that an untitled drive representing the camera will appear on the desktop and content can be dragged from it. But I can’t get the camera to appear on my desktop. I’ve looked in Apple System Profiler and the computer doesn’t see the camera as a hard drive.

Do you know how I can get the computer to see the camera?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 11, 2004
What OS are you using? Does the camera work with it? Assuming OS 9, what version do you have? I know I had some problems using USB devices in 9 which worked fine in OS X.
B
Buko
Apr 11, 2004
If OS9 you may need a driver.
EJ
Eric_J._White
Apr 11, 2004
Well, I’m using OS 10.2.8 for iPhoto, and System 9.2 for Photoshop. I can’t find the "untitled" drive through a search of the word "untitled," which I think would pull it up if either system is seeing it.
B
Buko
Apr 11, 2004
just pluging in the camera will make an untiled drive appear on the desktop and automatically fire up iPhoto.

you may have a bad cable have you tryed a card reader??
EJ
Eric_J._White
Apr 11, 2004
I switched out the cables, but no help. Is a card reader a seperate hardware device that reads the memory card from the camera & plugs directly into the USB port?
R
Ram
Apr 11, 2004
Is a card reader a seperate hardware device that reads the memory card from the camera & plugs directly into the USB port?

Yes it is. Highly recommended.

You might find this thread interesting:

Buko "Camera Raw not opening files" 4/9/04 7:59pm </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Apr 11, 2004
Yes, that’s right.

It’s strange that the camera is not mounting on the Desktop as a disk. Do you have it turned on?

Usually it should be set to Play.
R
Ram
Apr 11, 2004
Eric,

I had posted a link to the wrong thread, sorry. I barely made it under the 30 minute editing limit to correct that link in my post # 11. In case you don’t see that message any more, here’s the link to the right thread again. That thread contains discussions about external camera readers, opening images while still in the CF card inside the camera (not a good idea), etc.

Ramón G Castañeda "TWAIN Driver for Canon 10D" 4/9/04 8:16am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections