MA
Posted By
Mario_Artoni
Apr 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Why photoshop CS with two gb of ram usable on g5 duplicates the dimension of file on levels of the double quantity regarding to version 7? I resolve this problem if check eight % of the use of the memory that I have. But this is one demential what!
Why it does not have the same problem on systems windows? Photoshop Cs is only optimized for systems windows?

These are the characteristics of my computer
A dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5 with 4 Gb DDR SDRAM (Mac OS 10.3.3) . Two hard disk ATA of 250 Gb. Moreover I have three Hard Disk fire wire Lacie. One of 500 Gb (firewire 800) and two respective of 250 and 120 GB.

thanks for the answers.

mario

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 6, 2004
Why photoshop CS with two gb of ram usable on g5 duplicates the dimension of file on levels of the double quantity regarding to version 7?

Huh?
MA
Mario_Artoni
Apr 6, 2004
You can make one simple test. One opens a file on levels and while with photoshop 7 the memory is as an example 36/520, with photoshop Cs the memory becomes 36/1,040 GB. This happens alone on macintosh.

mario
R
Ram
Apr 6, 2004
Mario,

If I’m interpreting your question correctly, you may simply be looking at the wrong numbers. Are you looking at Scratch Sizes?

One opens a file on levels …

That part I don’t understand at all.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 7, 2004
I think he’s looking at scratch sizes — and just seeing the larger tile sizes as already discussed in a dozen other topics here.
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
That’s my the way I construe his posts too, Chris, though they’re not all that clear.
MA
Mario_Artoni
Apr 7, 2004
I speak about the window of photoshop. Low on the left. Where they are indicates the data of the memory of one image. If there are more levels it indicates is the data of memory of the image sluice that those of the image on levels.

And this data is much different between photoshop 7 and photoshop Cs. I know moreover that on systems windows this problem does not exist.

If it were possible to load images I could also insert a visual example.

Mario
P
Phosphor
Apr 7, 2004
Mario…

Please forgive me for being so bluntly honest. I don’t mean to insult you for your lack of skill for telling your thoughts in English. I will try to make this simple, so you can understand.

Your skill with English is not very good. OK. So we know that, and we are trying to understand your questions. But your sentences have a structure that is difficult to understand. Also, we must know if you are understanding all of the "official and generally understood" names used to describe tools, functions and processes in Photoshop.

It is difficult to teach new users who don’t understand basic tools and functions, even when they know enough English to ask questions in an online forum where the predominant language used is English. We are trying to help you, but your small command of English is making it difficult.

Do you have a friend who knows better English and who will interpret your questions more accurately to English and write your messages for you?
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
Mario,

What’s confusing here is your use of the word "levels" and, now, "sluice". I honestly can’t figure out what you mean.

It sounds like you misinterpret the numbers you see when you have selected Scratch Sizes as opposed to Document Sizes, Document Profile, Document Dimensions, Efficiency, Timing and Current Tool. Those are all choices you can see in the drop down menu that appears when you click and hold the mouse down on the little triangle (arrow) right next to the little window on the lower left-hand portion of the window as you described.

This is nothing new, and it is certainly not "a problem". This has been discussed in numerous threads here. Do a search on key words such as ‘memory’ and ‘use’. What we believe you are seeing is the scratch sizes data. The image or file is in no way being increased by a magnitude of two, which is what I think you mean when you say "duplicate".

The scratch is being made available right from the start in Photoshop 8 (CS), and that may be confusing if you are looking at Scratch Sizes rather than Document Sizes or Document Dimensions.

The bottom line is that there’s nothing you should be worried about.
MA
Mario_Artoni
Apr 7, 2004
thank Phosphor and Ramon. Excuse me for the bad english.

I speak about document with layers.
Only so the memory in the "document dimensions" are double. (I was not clear before, I was meaning to double dimensions and not duplicate)
Like ramon says this menù what is found in the small window of the document low on the left. It indicates the dimension of the document/dimension of all the layers.

But I do not think that this is not a problem.
I will go however to try in the forum where of speeches. But I did not have uncovered never this problem in the previous versions. I work from version 3 of photoshop and I had not never seen one what of this kind.

I make my excuses then if they have been little clear.
I hope that now is all comprehensible.

Make a test. You open a document with layers with photoshop 7. After you open it with photoshop cs and watched the dimension of the document in the menù to drop low on the left side of the document. For you it is all normal?
On my computer the memory of the layers is exactly double. Only on macintosh there is the problem of which I write. on windows he is all equal. if then it is a problem only of the Italian version I do not know. but it is sure a problem.

mario
B
Buko
Apr 7, 2004
photoshop 3 did not have layers.

when you add a layer you are adding pixels

so if you add a layer with as many pixels as the first layer the size of the file is doubled. add another layer and now the file is 3 times as big.

does this make sense now?

this has nothing to do with memory. just the size of the file.
P
Phosphor
Apr 7, 2004
" photoshop 3 did not have layers."

<http://www.schewephoto.com/pei/pshistory.pdf>

Umm…what the heck are you smoking, Buko?

😉
MA
Mario_Artoni
Apr 7, 2004
do not speak of photoshop 3!? but I speak of photosho cs and it’s memory problem It increase the file on layers more than other versions! Way this?
Make a test please!

Open a document with layers with phoshop 3-4-5-5.5-6-7 and look the memory dimension (Document/layers)
After open the identical file with Photoshop cs an look the memory dimension..Now this data is double. If you have 1,736 Gb of memori ran assegnated.

I know perfectly that a document on layers grows of dimensions. but "photoshop Cs" that I would call "photoshop Cs double" doubles them

mario
IL
Ian_Lyons
Apr 7, 2004
Mario,

What you see is normal and has been discussed a few times in the past. Have a read through the following thread as it explains what you see and why.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?7@@.2ccf8900/6>

Ignore the fact that it’s on the Windows forum
MA
Mario_Artoni
Apr 7, 2004
ohhh! thanks Ian…:-)

mario
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
Ciao Mario,

On my computer the memory of the layers is exactly double.

You are misinterpreting the numbers you see. That’s all.

That little window on the lower left-hand corner can show you different things, depending on what you choose in the dropdown menu that displays when you click and hold down the mouse over the little triangular arrow right next to the numbers.

If you select "Document Sizes", you will see two numbers separated by a diagonal slash (/), for example 24MB/72MB. The number on the left is a representation of the printing size of the image, which is approximately the size of the file when FLATTENED (no layers) in Adobe PSD format. The number on the right is the approximate size of the file including all layers and channels. Of course the second number is going to be larger, much larger, than the first one. Each layer and each channel represents more information, therefore more data and larger file sizes. That is absolutely normal, on the Mac and on the Windows platform as well.

The more layers and channels you add, the larger the file size will be. It can be much more than double ("duplicated" as you originally said); it can be "triplicated", "quadrupled" or even increased by a factor of 10, 20 or more. That is absolutely normal.

If you select Scratch Sizes instead, the numbers will change to show something else. In that case (Scratch Sizes), then the number on the left of the diagonal slash will be the amount of memory that is being used to display ALL open images; the number on the right is the total amount of RAM available for processing images.

As I said, all this is normal. It is the same on previous versions of Photoshop and it is the same in Windows.

Please come back and let us know if we can do anything else to help you understand all this.

Ritenga prego libero scrivere in italiano anche. Posso leggere bene l’italiano.
B
Buko
Apr 7, 2004
I thought layer were added in 4.

I don’t have 3 on the old computer any more.
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
Buko,

I didn’t mean to imply that layers existed in all previous versions of Photoshop . Just in the previous versions I’m familiar with, starting with Photoshop 5.

Then again, maybe you’re not even referring to my post. 🙂
MA
Mario_Artoni
Apr 7, 2004
ramon grazie per lasciarmi scrivere in italiano.
cercherò di scrivere in modo semplice.
So che cosa rappresentano i dati della piccola finestra in basso a sinistra. Il problema è proprio questo. Il fatto che so cosa significano. Se apro un documento per esempio di 37/360 Mb con photoshop 7- 6 o altre versioni, questo dato rimane identico. Se apro questo stesso documento con photoshop Cs diventa di 37/740 Mb.
Ho un solo sistema per evitare che capiti questo problema. Assegnare a photoshop Cs solo l’8% della memoria ram che ho.

questo è il solo e unico problema che mi rattrista.
Sembra quasi che si voglia limitare la potenza dei G5 rendendo photoshop CS anche più lento della versione 7.

Per tutto il resto continua ad essere una grande programma. Mi spiace solo che ci sia questo problema che, forse , limita la velocità dei G5.
Poi se invece i problemi sono altri..! beh spero di capirli. Ma per adesso ancora non li ho capiti.

grazie ciao

mario
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
Mario writes:

So che cosa rappresentano i dati della piccola finestra in basso a sinistra.

Translation: So what do the figures in the little window on the lower left represent?

La risposta (Answer): Dipende da che cosa avete scelto nel menu. (It depends on what you have chosen in the menu.)

Se scegliete i "Document Sizes", la prima cifra o numero rappresenta il ammontare o grandezza del documento una volta trasmesso allo stampatore. La seconda cifra o numero rappresenta il ammontare o grandezza del documento intero compreso tutti gli stratti ("layers").

If you choose Document Sizes, the first figure represents the size of the document when sent to the printer. The second figure represents the size of the whole document including all layers.

Per il secondo numero essere molto più grande, persino dieci volte più grande o più è interamente normale. Ogni strato aggiunge le più informazioni.

It is entirely normal for the second number to be much larger, even ten times larger or more. Each layer adds more information.

Scusi prego i miei errori in italiano.

Ciao,

Ramón
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
Mario writes:

Assegnare a photoshop Cs solo l’8% della memoria ram che ho.

I’ve assigned only 8% of available RAM memory to Photoshop CS.

8% ??? Quello è troppo piccolo. Prova almeno 65 a 75%.

8% ??? That is much too little. Try at least 65 to 75%.

!!!
P
Phosphor
Apr 7, 2004
Golf clap for Ramón!

Way to go the extra mile!
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
Mario writes:

Se apro un documento per esempio di 37/360 Mb con photoshop 7- 6 o altre versioni, questo dato rimane identico. Se apro questo stesso documento con photoshop Cs diventa di 37/740 Mb.

Penso che stiate guardando i «formati della graffiatura» ("Scratch Sizes") là, Mario.

I think you’re looking at Scratch Sizes there, Mario.
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
Phosphor,

Golf clap …

??? (Translation please). :")
MA
Mario_Artoni
Apr 7, 2004
non so ma credo che il problema non sia chiaro.
provo a scrivere i dati in inglese.

I have a document. Only one. Ok..
Well.

I open this document with Photoshop Cs. I go to look the memory of the document. It’s give me 170/1.94 GB. Well now I close photoshop Cs.

Now I open the identical documente with Photosho 7. I go to look the memory of the document and i see 170/890Mb.!!!!???

I repeat, I have only one document. But in photoshop Cs it is 170/1.94 Gb, in photoshop 7 is 170/890Mb. Way the layers in photoshop Cs are double?

only this

Mario
P
Phosphor
Apr 7, 2004
Golf Clap = that nice light applause you hear from the observers of a golfer when he makes a particularly sweet shot.
MA
Mario_Artoni
Apr 7, 2004
Yes Ramón i am looking the Scratch Sizes.

And this Scratch Sizes are very different.
to who I must believe? to photopshop 7 or photoshop CS?

I am however working on the document about which I have spoken before.

Mario
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
I open this document with Photoshop Cs. I go to look the memory of the document. It’s give me 170/1.94 GB. Well now I close photoshop Cs. Now I open the identical documente with Photosho 7. I go to look the memory of the document and i see 170/890Mb.!!!!???

Mario,

Sì, state guardando il ammontare o grandezza della graffiatura (Scratch Size). Il ammontare o grandezza della graffiatura (Scratch Size) è assegnato nella sua totalità la destra dall’inizio in Photoshop 8 (CS). Nelle versioni precedenti, il ammontare o grandezza della graffiatura (Scratch Size) è più piccolo quando in primo luogo aprite il documento ma continuerà a crescere come lavorate al documento fino a che non raggiunga lo stesso formato (ammontare) che vediate in Photoshop 8 (CS). Il ammontare o grandezza della graffiatura (Scratch Size) non è lo stesso del ammontare o formato documento (Document Size).

Yes you are looking at Scratch Sizes. The Scratch Size is allocated in its entirety right from the beginning in Photoshop 8 (CS). In previous versions, the Scratch Size is smaller when you first open the document but it will keep growing as you work on the document until it reaches the same size you see in Photoshop 8 (CS). Scratch Size is not the same as Document Size.
MA
Mario_Artoni
Apr 7, 2004
ohh ..well! Now I have at least something to verify. Ramón thanks. Really! If not if I have need of other details I can always contact to you?

Mario
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
Mario,

"lo spazio del disco scratch" è soltanto spazio dil disco duro (spazio dell’azionamento duro) che Photoshop ha messo ad uso come memoria virtuale per quando lavorate al vostro documento. Photoshop 8 (CS) assegna tutto il disco scratch dall’inizio, non appena aprite il documento. Le versioni precedenti di Photoshop dell’inizio con una graffiatura minima e la aumentano gradualmente mentre lavorate al documento. Ecco perchè sono differenti all’inizio, quando aprite per la prima volta il documento.

"Scratch Disk" space is only hard drive space that Photoshop sets aside to use as virtual memory for when you work on your document. Photoshop 8 (CS) assigns the scratch from the beginning, as soon as you open the document. Previous versions of Photoshop start with a minimum Scratch and increase it gradually as you work on the document. That’s why they are different at the beginning, when you open the document for the first time.
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
Sì, Mario, ritiene libero ritornare in qualunque momento. Ma non si preoccupi, che cosa state vedendo siete perfettamente normali.

Yes, Mario, feel free to come back any time. But don’t worry, what you are seeing is perfectly normal.
MA
Mario_Artoni
Apr 7, 2004
One what is sure.
If they had to make of the elections for the best technical assistant of photoshop…. Well I vote you.:-)

thanks

mario
IL
Ian_Lyons
Apr 7, 2004
Mario,

And this Scratch Sizes are very different. to who I must believe? to photopshop 7 or photoshop CS?

The thread I linked to above tells WHY they are different. Both are right within the specific application. You should NOT expect the scratch file in CS to ever match that found in PS7. Try reading the thread again.
R
Ram
Apr 7, 2004
Mario,

Ian is correct.

Il formato che vedete nel Photoshop CS può mai non essere usato completamente. È soltanto che cosa da parte il Photoshop CS ha messo nel caso è necessario. Così le due figure possono non abbinare mai, a meno che dobbiate usare tutto lo spazio assegnato in Photoshop CS.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections