LS
Posted By
lucius sulla
Jul 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using Elements 2.0 successfully on a new 40GB hard drive with 4 partitions of about 10GB each. I have 480MB of memory (ram). Today I received the following error message when trying to run Elements.

"Could not start Adobe Photoshop because the volume Windows is using for virtual memory does not have enough free space, which could lead tp stability problems. See Windows help for information on increasing available virtual memory."

Free space on the Drive is 6.78GB. I am using Windows ME default setup for managing virtual memory. I have uninstalled Elements and re-installed, but the problem persists. I have no errors in my System Devices and the last time I used Elements it ran successfully. All other applications I use including Acrobat run successfully.

I have installed Elemets on a 2.1GB harddrive and it works fine.

Has anyone seen this before?

Many thanks.
Lucius

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Jul 23, 2003
Lucius,

Try defragging your drive, it’s possibly too fragmented to allocate more virtual memory space.

Windows "virtual memory" (also called the "paging file" or "swap file") is a
file allocated by the operating system on your hard drive. It is used to extend your RAM when the needed memory is greater than the amount of RAM you physically have installed in your system. It’s expanded automatically as needed provided there is enough free space on the disk. The space needs to be contiguous, so if the disk is fragmented, it might not be possible to get enough space to expand the file and you’ll get the message you described.

The default size of the paging file is 1.5 times the amount of RAM installed on the computer. You probably should increase that somewhat since digital image editing programs like Elements use a lot of RAM. Pre-allocating a larger paging file will also reduce the need to expand the file during use and help to avoid the problem you’re having. The new size will be effective next boot-up.

The amount you need will depend on how many memory resident programs and processes you have running at the same time and the amount of memory each requires to operate.

If you have more than one physical disk, you should allocate the virtual memory file on the physical disk that you don’t boot from.

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections