Z
Posted By
ZR
Aug 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It might not be the right group to ask, but I couldn’t find a more qualified one…:

It is time to replace my old HP Deskjet 870Cse.

Do any of the newer deskjets (around $150.00) come with USB 2.0 ?

Does it really matter in printing wheter it is USB 2.0 or 1.1 ??

I noticed that the newer deskjets (of HP) come with smaller cartridges. That makes it all more expensive game…

Any suggestions before I go "shopping" ?

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LD
Lisa Duskis
Aug 5, 2003
I’ve got an epson 1280 ($499) and its USB 2.0.

But I run it on USB 1.1 ports anyway…

I’m not overly concerned as to what speed – I don’t have USB 2 ports on my laptop, only 1.1

"ZR" wrote in message
It might not be the right group to ask, but I couldn’t find a more qualified one…:

I noticed that the newer deskjets (of HP) come with smaller cartridges. That makes it all more expensive game…

Thanks.
Q
Quaoar
Aug 6, 2003
ZR wrote:

Thanks.

I’ll stick my neck out here: Hi-Speed USB (formerly USB 2) will only provide benefits with printers that have sufficient internal RAM to permit fast transfer of the totality of print data. Otherwise, the print data will be held in the computer spooler RAM and trickled out to the printer at the speed of the print head. Many new printers have little if any internal RAM so that the page printing speed controls the transfer rate from computer spooler to printer. The effective data transfer rate is a fraction of USB (formerly USB 1.1) data transfer rates. Hi-Speed USB (formerly USB 2) transfer rates are immaterial to performance in the case of RAM-less printers (as is USB [formerly USB
1.1]).

Moreover, printers without internal RAM will by necessity slow the performance of the host computer since the host must allocate CPU as well as RAM (spooler) to the printing. Even with a fast CPU and adequate XP memory, users report that printing appears to "take over" the computer, especially when printing large color documents at high resolution, until the print job is completed.

If you shop for a printer, look for internal RAM, and lots of it – several megabytes. In the long run, if you do much printing -especially color- the extra cost is justified by the increase in apparent computer performance.

Concerning printer carts, I have seen several semi-tongue-in-cheek analyses promoting the concept that buying a new printer when the carts run dry is cost-equivalent to buying replacement carts for an existing printer.

Q

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections