How to maintain vibrant color for web viewing and printing using photo printer?

RA
Posted By
Richard_A._Ross
Oct 20, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My pictures lose their vibrant color after "Save for Web" to jpg and view in Windows "Preview" viewer or web browsers. If I use "Save as…" to jpg, Firefox, IE, Opera and Windows "Preview" viewer all look dull. However, Safari and Adobe Bridge look "right". Then I "Save as…" to tiff and print the files at a drug store photo processor (they use Kodak Paper and a Noritsu machine), the color all washed out and dull, whereas my own inkjet prints look great.

Questions: 1) is "Save for Web…" to jpg always lose color? What is the proper way to produce jpg for web viewing and maintain faithful color? 2) Is Safari the only browser capable showing color profiled jpg? 3) is photo printer incapable of producing good color like inkjet printer?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 20, 2007
You haven’t mentioned your colour management policies at all. The only way we can help pinpoint where things are going wrong is if you tell us more.

* What version of Photoshop are you using?

* What method are you using to profile your monitor?

* What colour working space are you using in Photoshop?

* What method are you using to ensure your images are output for the web with the correct (sRGB) profile?

* Have you established what colour profile the lab/print shop require – and how are you converting/attaching the correct profile?
RA
Richard_A._Ross
Oct 21, 2007
Ok, the problem is I use Adobe RGB in my files. Once I converted to sRGB then save to jpg, color look fine in all browsers and from photo print lab.

So what I learn is that all browser excpet Safari assume sRGB, same with photo printer. To have right color, I must convert to sRGB first. Kudo to Safari, which understand embedded color profile and display color correctly.

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections