MA
Posted By
Michael Appelmans
Jul 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I converted an RGB Tiff image delivered to me to CMYK to send to printer. The image colors look the same in Photoshop 7 but if I open the new CMYK image in any other image program (ACDSee) the color is different (on my monitor). Everything seems to take on a greenish tint. Is this normal and can I expect the CMYK image to print with the colors I see in the RGB image on my monitor?

Is there some other way I should be doing RGB to CMYK conversion to guarantee the same colors get printed?

Thanks for any advice.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 18, 2003
Michael,

ACDSee (and many other image viewers) are not color managed. When color management is enabled in photoshop, an image is embedded with a profile that defines the exact colors to be used, so that if someone else opens the file with a color managed application, that profile will be read and the data will be "translated" to the appropriate representation on the other machine.

Since ACDSee is not color managed, it ignores the profile.

Moral of the story? I never use non-color managed apps to evaluate an image that I’ve created in Photoshop. I use ACDSee just to identify the image, kind of thing.

Peace,
Tony
L
LenHewitt
Jul 19, 2003
Michael,

Listen to Tony! Talk to the printer,

Chances are a trade mag will be web offset printed and provided you have your CMYK working space set to SWOP Coated, the printed image should be a reasonable match to your screen image in Photoshop (assuming you have a good monitor profile). However, depending upon the quality of the paper used, some adjustment may be needed for dot-gain. However, you can’t possibly know this unless you talk to the print house!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections