ST
Posted By
Sal Thirtysixty
Jul 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Error number is 1008:17, -4…I’m trying to install PSEL 2; I have Elements 1 installed already. Do I need to delete Elements 1, or is there something else afoot here? I have nothing else running when I try to install.

Searched both the knowledge base and the forum – nothing came up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BH
Beth Haney
Jul 23, 2003
I did a Google on that and came up dry for that error code followed by -4. However, there is one that’s bothering people as they try to install instant messaging (-23), and it has to do with Virex. ???

The other thing I noticed was that it seemed related to CarbonLib. What version are you running? I have a piece of software that wouldn’t run right until I upgraded to the most recent update of CarbonLib. Right now I can’t remember the version number for sure, but I think it’s 1.6. I know it has a ‘6’ in it!
ST
Sal Thirtysixty
Jul 23, 2003
Thanks for the info thus far – being one of those Windoze switchers, I’m still learning my way around my Mac…how does one determine the CarbonLib version?

Thanks!
P
Phosphor
Jul 24, 2003
Just run software update. If you don’t see it there you are up to date. . I’m puzzled byt "cooltype" part of the error, though. Do you have any other graphics programs or font utilities installed besides what came with your mac?

EDIT Which version of X?
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 24, 2003
Have you been running Software Update on a regular basis? If so, that’s probably not the problem. If you haven’t run it for a while, look on the Software Update screen and see if it’s listed as something that’s already been done.

Now just in case you’re going to ask me where all this stuff is, I don’t quite remember! Do a Find for Software Update, and then when it opens, there are a couple of tabs – one is Update and the other is Installed Updates. Check the "Installed" list first and see CarbonLib is listed as something that’s been installed since you got the system. If not, do a Find for "CarbonLib" and see what comes up. And it is version 1.6 you’re looking for, by the way. It may have already been on your system when you got it.

If it doesn’t show up anywhere on your hard drive, manually run "Update Software" and see if it pops up as something you should download.

In case you’re wondering why my instructions are so bizarre, it’s because I happen to be using 9.1 right now. My two OSs are on separate hard drives, so I can’t just flip back and forth without restarting the computer – which I’m not of a mind to do right now, no matter how nice you are. 🙂

You might also try posting this on the Apple forum. One of their Helpers is usually around here, but she must be on a trip because I don’t remember seeing a post from her for the last day or so. Somebody over there might actually recognize that error code you’re getting.
P
Phosphor
Jul 24, 2003
Hi, Beth. I’m right here, and I was the one who said I don’t recognize the "cooltype" part of the error. Carbonlib errors are much more common in os 9, so I’d like to know more about Sal’s setup and installation procedure.

Sal, another thing to try is copying the cd to the desktop and running the installer from there. That will sometimes work when installing directly from the cd doesn’t.
P
Phosphor
Jul 24, 2003
Okay, I have checked and if you are installing directly into X, you really shouldn’t be getting a Carbonlib error at all. Do you have any Norton on your system? Please tell us more about your computer model, ram, version of X, and how you are trying to install PE 2, Sal.
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 24, 2003
Sorry, Barbara, I must have missed your post!
P
Phosphor
Jul 24, 2003
No problem, Beth. 🙂 But where did Sal go?
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 24, 2003
The Apple forum?! 🙂
P
Phosphor
Jul 24, 2003
Nope. Unless he/she is asking totally different questions there.
ST
Sal Thirtysixty
Jul 24, 2003
Nope, still here 🙂 – life got in the way again.

Anyhoo the computer is iMac, 1 Ghz, OS X 10.2.6, 768 MB RAM, no Norton or firewall software. CarbonLib is here, version 1.6. I run the updates pretty religiously when they come up – I’ve set it to check every week.

Trying to install from a burned CD as a trial to see if I want to upgrade from PE1 to PE2 (no I’m not a software bootlegger – I pay for donationware or shareware like Snak) and I’m not aware of a ‘trial version’ of PE2. If such a version exists then it looks like that’s what I should be doing. I’m guessing the CD is the issue as it pulled the exact same error on my wife’s iMac…so unless somebody can offer me additional wisdom or a trial version I’m going to frisbee the CD and buy the full PE2…
P
Phosphor
Jul 24, 2003
Sal,

Have you tried to repair permissions? Open the Utilities Folder, in the Applications Folder and you will see Disk Utility. Open that and select your hard drive. Click on the First Aide tab and click on the Repair Disk Permissions. OS X is pretty picky about having the proper permissions and if they are not correct, very strange things can and will happen.

Good luck.

Gerry
P
Phosphor
Jul 24, 2003
Hi, Sal. Yes, I think the problem is the cd, most likely. You can download a trial of PE 2 here < http://www.adobe.com/products/tryadobe/main.jhtml#product=40>. Let us know if you still have trouble trying to install that.

Gerrys suggestion about repairing permissions is good to do before and after any major installation.
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 24, 2003
I second Gerry’s advice about running Repair Permissions. Since you’re a relatively new Mac user, have you "gotten the word" that it’s highly recommended to run it both before and after you install new software, especially when an Installer is involved?

However, repairing permissions aside, if you’re getting the same error on two different computers, I think you’re right in suspecting that burned CD. Live dangerously! Buy PSE 2 (look for one of the good deals, though!) and come join us here on the forum. It really is great software, and the users’ forum is even better. 🙂

Edit: Whoops, that’s right. You already know how good it is from using v 1.
ST
Sal Thirtysixty
Jul 25, 2003
Hi again,

Barbara – thanks for the link to the trial d/l. Offending CD looked very nice sailing across the room into the trash can.

Gerry – recently learned about the Permissions trick and will take your advice to run it before and after major installations. I haven’t had OS X go flakey on me…in fact I have been simply stunned by its stability. When I ran Windows I wondered why Apple users were always so smug…now I know 🙂

FWIW, I’m using PE1 primarily to clean up scans of 30-50 year old medium format railroad locomotive negatives. The auto-contrast feature really works a treat on them…great product.

Cheers and thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections