Posted By
Margie_J._Wilson
Feb 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Background: running Photoshop 7 on Macintosh 9.2.2
At first, this was no problem. Suddenly, it is.
When I used to click the "Marching Ants", the line would disappear and stop. Now, it won’t disappear unless I click the "cropping" tool.
Why the change? Did I accidentally change a setting?
Can it be reset so that I just touch the ants and they will stop? Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
PShock
Feb 15, 2004
Do you have the "Fixed Size" option enabled from the top Options Bar? Each click of the mouse will simply create another selection with this enabled. Set it to Normal and it should work as before. (or you could simply hit Command + D to turn the selections off)

-phil
MJ
Margie_J._Wilson
Feb 15, 2004
Phil,

Thanks so much!

I also noticed that in the Top Options Bar, if in the longer rectangular box (on a Mac), second from the far left — if the square to the far left is not selected, what you suggested would not work. But, your suggestion led me to this discovery, and I am MOST grateful. I have another friend who was also experiencing a similar problem, so you have solved two "problems" in one! =)

Margie
P
PShock
Feb 15, 2004
Glad my suggestion got you pointed in the right direction, Margie. My first two for one! 🙂

Incidentally, those boxes on the left (the one’s that don’t release), are for adding to, subtracting from, or intersecting with a current selection. When any of those are enabled, you’re telling PS you want to modify an existing selection. That’s why clicking doesn’t "release" the selection. The box on the FAR left, is for creating NEW selections meaning you don’t care about a selection already in progress. Photoshop is pretty smart, huh? 😉

-phil

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections