CS opens when double-clicking a BMP. How can I stop this?

CK
Posted By
Curtis_Knight
Aug 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Win XP Pro & Photoshop CS. This isn’t a technical problem. When I am in Windows Explorer and double click a .bmp or .jpeg file, CS jumps in goes through its setup, credits, Adobe Picture, patents and then comes up with the picture. This drives me nuts. Any thoughts on how to let me ask for a graphics file from inside CS only, and let Windows handle this when I am not in CS.
Aside from this, there are no other problems I am aware of. Thanks

Curt

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 8, 2004
It is a matter of file associations. When you installed CS either by accident or on purpose you told it that graphic files with BMP, JPG, etc., should be associated with Photoshop.

Right click on the file (or shift right click) in explorer and choose Open With… Then select the program that you want to view/edit the file with.

Peace,
Tony
FN
Fred_Nirque
Aug 8, 2004
Go: Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types, scroll down list to BMP and select, then hit "change" button and nominate the program you want to open your *.bmp’s.

This was caused by failing to nominate file associations when installing Photoshop.

Fred.

(edit: and Tony beat me to it – same thing, different method)
CK
Curtis_Knight
Aug 17, 2004
Thanks Tony & Fred.
Your ways both worked like a charm. Adobe Photoshop CS also let go of .jpeg files too. Super
Curt

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections