Photoshop Freezes when i click "new" in the file menu.

BE
Posted By
brian_eddy
Nov 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When ever i try to create a new image in photoshgop, it freezes up, and wont let me do anything. i can edit photos just fine, but nothing new. it just started this a few days ago, and ive used photoshop for quite a while. no changes have been made to my system that i am aware of.

Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this? I have uninstalled, and re-installed it, i have installed all patches and updates.

I am using Photoshop 7.0

I am running an HP Pavilion, pentium 4 2.0 gig, 1 gig ram…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
Phosphor
Nov 5, 2003
What happpens when you try to create a new document with "CTRL+N"?
CW
Colin_Walls
Nov 5, 2003
wont let me do anything

Can you be more specific. Can you kill PS? Do you need to reboot? Does ESC do anything?

You have not changed screen resolution lately have you?

You might benefit from a prefs reset [FAQ].
TF
Thomas_Fors
Nov 5, 2003
I’ve seen something similar on my machine. When I create a new document, Photoshop freezes for 30 seconds or so before creating it. If I pull up the task manager during this time, PS is listed as "not responding," but if I wait, it recovers.

I also see a delay at start-up before the splash-screen is displayed.

At other times there is no delay or freezing, everything works fine, and I am happy.

I think I’ve tracked it down to something network related. When I’m logged into our network, it works fast and as expected, and when I’m not it seems to hang.

I don’t know what specifically it is looking for: drives, printers, or some other obscure network resource.

–Tom
DM
dave_milbut
Nov 5, 2003
could it be that the dialog box is just off screen? see the missing dialog box topic in the FAQ list.
SB
Scott_Byer
Nov 5, 2003
It’s probably looking for a network printer. Set a non-networked printer as default and try again.

-Scott
TF
Thomas_Fors
Nov 6, 2003
It’s probably looking for a network printer. Set a non-networked printer
as
default and try again.

That did the trick… Thanks much Scott.
–Tom

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections